Shaun Alexander is waiting for the Highest Bidder... $$$$$ - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Shaun Alexander is waiting for the Highest Bidder... $$$$$

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Amazinz » Mon Nov 29, 2004 8:28 pm

BrutallyHuge wrote:If I was one play away from having no job (serious injury), I'd take whatever money I could.

You can't be an NFL RB forever.

Exactly. Every player in the NFL that has the luxury is all about the money. Can't really blame then, we'd all be the same way. It's not like a baseball player who has a 15-year career and is willing to take a little less to play with his hometown team. Injuries and the cap system make for a very unfriendly environment for NFL players. They have to get what they can when they can.
Amazinz
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby caneblood » Mon Nov 29, 2004 9:58 pm

Professional football is different from all other sports and professions. While the fans think about how much fun it would be to play ball - that's not the whole case. These guys are in constant pain and seriously risking their livelihood every play. Most of them are dropping tons of pills and shooting themselves with painkillers just to be able to play. Do they enjoy it? Sure. TO and Ray Lewis are having fun but still they're hurting everyday.

When you decide to stay at your current job instead of taking a different one that pays an extra $20K you are basing your decision on the idea that you will be able to keep earning money for the next few decades because most professions don't have a 5-8 year lifespan assuming you stay healthy enough to perform. It's just not a fair comparison. A more fair comparison would be if someone came to you and said:

You can only work for 5 more years and won't work after that so whatever you make is it. Now you can only sign one contract for those five years. We also give you one random number. Every week for the next five years we'll pull a random number out of a hat and if it matches yours then you must retire on the spot with no more compensation so your career may only last one day. Now choose between two contracts .... suddenly how important does money become and how much less important is the environment?
caneblood
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Football

Postby The_Dude » Mon Nov 29, 2004 11:17 pm

Its one thing for a baseball player like A-rod to leave Seattle because a $100 million dollar contract isn't enough - and go to Texas for $250 million. He is a money grubbing whore.

But the NFL is salary capped and careers are shorter (unless you're a pitcher, in which case, take the money and run). Not every team can pay everyone the big bucks. We all rave about the great league parity. Well, the downside of that is that the caps make it hard to keep teams together (unless the players are willing to take pay cuts). Tough... its part of the game. Gotta agree with BH on this one, much to my chagrin.

I am the Walrus
The_Dude
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle Eye
(Past Year: 2)
Location: My ivory tower, where I oversee the intellectual development of America's youth

Postby nickjumpman » Tue Nov 30, 2004 11:07 am

First off if Alexander wants to go to the team that is going to give him the most money are you gonna say that is a bad thing? I would love to get the hell out of Seattle cause they have a terrible team and a terrible QB. Matt Hasseobeck is really really bad. I have watched 4 Seahawks games this year and he looks awful. They will never win with him at QB.

I'm not even sure if all this Miami talk is even worth anything. Miami has not said they are going to pursue him and the only reason anyone is talking about is because they asked Alex if he would like to play for Miami. What is he gonna say, NO? Why not, keep all options available. Plus Miami is a great city to be in anyways. Night life, atmosphere, nice sunny weather.

I bet Alex gets pursued by about 6 teams and he goes to the best situation (Money and Talent level of the team combined).
nickjumpman
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Previous

Return to Football Talk