wow football is really a game of inches(pachino). - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

wow football is really a game of inches(pachino).

Moderator: Football Moderators

wow football is really a game of inches(pachino).

Postby Jeramie_Contreras » Tue Nov 30, 2004 9:50 am

i lost in fantasy football this week by 2 points, 5 of my players were one or two yards away from getting another point. If just maybe they couldve get one more foot i couldve one. So i guess football is really a game of inches(ags).Just wondering has anyone ever got burned like this and how.
Jeramie_Contreras
Water Boy
Water Boy

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Gibbs_Wagon » Tue Nov 30, 2004 9:58 am

I certainly have lost & won like this, but there are two things worth mentioning.

1) How many of your opponents players were also 1 or 2 yards away from another point?

2) I'm a proponent of fractional scoring, so if your rb ran for 87 yards, 1 pt per 10 yds, then he'd get 8.7 pts. A lot of people don't like this way for some reason. Probably because they just won a game in the same manner in which you lost it }:-)
Gibbs_Wagon
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Matchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Purple_Pride » Tue Nov 30, 2004 10:01 am

i dont like fractional scoring for the reason that to me its less realistic, its less like actual football. if a team drives it down to the 10 but there drive stalls and they turn the ball over they dont get 5 points for making it close. so i look at FF in the same way. just my thinking.
"When the truth walks away who is gonna stay? Cause the truth about the world is that crime does pay?"

RICHARD
Purple_Pride
Head Coach
Head Coach

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Free Bagel » Tue Nov 30, 2004 10:14 am

In the Cafe Challenge KG had his game won at the end of the MNF game. Then Trent Green took a knee to run the clock out, which counted as minus one yards rushing, bringing his total down from 20yds to 19yds rushing, causing KG to tie.

Basking in Ghidra's misery is one of my favorite past times ;-D
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby defianthart » Tue Nov 30, 2004 10:24 am

isnt that a bummer... yeah this happened to me in 2 of my 4 loses but in one of them the other guy would have still won. i would like my league to have fractional scoring because with these whole points its not showing exactly how well each player did, at least for my league with 1 pt for every 20 yards. i can remember 2 times in the past 2 weeks when my running back ran for 99 yards and when a receiver had 79 yards. penalizing a point because a player only had 19 extra yards instead of 20 seems silly.
defianthart
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby irishclown » Tue Nov 30, 2004 10:30 am

Every week D. Davis kills me. In our league you get bonus points if a RB gets 6 or more catches, and bonus points for 60+ receiving yards for a RB. Every week he is so close to both, but barely ever gets them.
irishclown
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby defianthart » Tue Nov 30, 2004 10:34 am

yead d. davis was the one who got me, except in week 10 instead of 11 and it was 98 yards instead of 99 but my point still stands
defianthart
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby iloveny18 » Tue Nov 30, 2004 10:53 pm

Gibbs_Wagon wrote:I certainly have lost & won like this, but there are two things worth mentioning.

1) How many of your opponents players were also 1 or 2 yards away from another point?

2) I'm a proponent of fractional scoring, so if your rb ran for 87 yards, 1 pt per 10 yds, then he'd get 8.7 pts. A lot of people don't like this way for some reason. Probably because they just won a game in the same manner in which you lost it }:-)

yeah, i don't understand how you could NOT give .1 points for each yard.
iloveny18
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

(Past Year: 1)

Postby matmat » Tue Nov 30, 2004 11:15 pm

Purple_Pride wrote:i dont like fractional scoring for the reason that to me its less realistic, its less like actual football. if a team drives it down to the 10 but there drive stalls and they turn the ball over they dont get 5 points for making it close. so i look at FF in the same way. just my thinking.

If that is your attitude, why not shun yards altogether. maybe just play a touchdown league?

I hate situations (yahoo public leagues) where my guy gets more yards and fewer points than my opponent's player. if you're not going to reward with fractonal points, at least combine rushing and receiving yards... why should a RB who rushes for 79 yards and catches for another 39 get fewer points than one who rushes for 60 and catches for 40?
How is my typing? Call 1-555-382-5968
Many posters could benefit from this.
matmat
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Return to Football Talk