Your opinion on Big Ben - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Your opinion on Big Ben

Moderator: Football Moderators

Your opinion on Big Ben

Postby Purple_Pride » Tue Nov 30, 2004 10:46 am

Does anyone else think that Ben is really over hyped. Granted he is playign well, especially for a rookie QB but really his teams runs something like 78% of the offensive snaps and his defense is one fo the best in the league. he completes his 10 passes a game for 130 yards. its all a little too trent diferish for me to really get hyped up on big ben.
"When the truth walks away who is gonna stay? Cause the truth about the world is that crime does pay?"

RICHARD
Purple_Pride
Head Coach
Head Coach

Mock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Football

Postby mtlenway » Tue Nov 30, 2004 10:50 am

Roth is playing as well as anyone could expect a rookie QB to play. He is playing smart and avoiding mistakes which is great for the Steelers. However, as a fantasy QB he is less than average. Pittsburgh has heavily relied on their running game to win them games so as to protect Roth from making the normal errors of a rookie. Now only if the Giants had an offensive line that could do the same for Eli.
mtlenway
Head Coach
Head Coach

(Past Year: 2)

Postby Mercer Boy » Tue Nov 30, 2004 10:56 am

I think you said what a lot of people are thinking (but don't want to say). :-o

The main thing with Ben is that he's not making mistakes that cost them the game. The team carries itself by controlling the clock and having a really tough defense. This is how the Steelers have always made their living. I personally don't think Bradshaw was that great of a QB (I never watched him play so I guess my opinion has no merit), but I do know that the Steelers of the 70s had the same style of play and the same mentality for their QB - limit QB mistakes, control the game on the ground, and dominate with defense.

When you see guys like Marino, Montana, Elway, Manning, Favre, etc. basically taking over the game, you automatically see that a QB is great with his talent. Someone who understands his role and does what needs to be done can be just as good. Bernie Kosar seemed to be like that to me. He wasn't really that gifted physically, but he was very methodical and knew what he needed to do to win the game. It didn't translate to any Super Bowls, but there were quite a few good Browns teams in the 80s.

I don't really know if he's had to singlehandedly win any games for the Steelers this year, but if he has or will have to in the future (in the playoffs?), we will have a better idea of what Ben really has to offer. Right now he's doing exactly what he needs to do, and his team is winning.
The One, the Only, the Incomparable Mercer Boy.
My My YouTube.
Mercer Boy
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby FantasyBearsRookie » Tue Nov 30, 2004 11:07 am

The same reason you gave about he is not making mistakes will be the same reason they lose in the playoffs when they face San Diego or the colts. He will be called upon to make plays and throw touchdowns. He will not matchup against the high powering offenses. He is no better than Trent Dilfer or Deholmme. I could be a little of he is only a rookine however we will see the real Roethlisberger when he needs to throw more than handoff.

Now as a Coach I would want him over all other rookies at this time. I am only speaking of what will happen this year. He has many years to improve and take risks.
"You can't throw a swimmer who only swims in pools into an ocean and expect him to rise to the occasion"
Fantasy wise under average
FantasyBearsRookie Beginner
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby dustyn » Tue Nov 30, 2004 11:33 am

Ben has completed 2/3rds of his passes and has two passing TDs for every interception. I hardly think that's anemic, weak, overhyped or simply "not making mistakes." Yes, steelers are a run first team, but Ben has been superb considering all the pressure/blitzing he's received. It is true the Steelers can win without Ben playing well, but when he's needed to play well...he has. That's why he's undefeated as a starter.
dustyn
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby eaglesrule » Tue Nov 30, 2004 11:58 am

he is overrated, but pretty good in real life.

"limiting mistakes" or not, it is still pretty hard to do.

I don't think he is all that, but then again, the team is winning.

I think thwe playoffs will eb a different story, because they will have to pass there (not against the colts though), and he might find some difficulty there.

I think if you take away their ball control, they will struggle. Especailly with a team that can do it right back like the chargers or pats.

I am curious to see what he does when they are behind -- he hasn;t seemed to have to do that, but rest assured, they will be behind in the playoffs at some point.
eaglesrule
General Manager
General Manager

Postby FantasyBearsRookie » Tue Nov 30, 2004 11:59 am

Bull [edited by MB]
When he has to throw for three TD"s they will lose. Mark my words. Obviously he is consistant however he has not had to play a big game yet. The defense beat New England and without Corey Dillion you can't expect much running fron them. Roethlisberger deserves the hype because all that counts is winning. However we are talking strictly on Benny and I am just expressing my opinion. He will be tested and when that time comes we will talk again. Average Quarterback at this time.
Trust me i would take him on the bears team in a second right now. Not over Rex though
FantasyBearsRookie Beginner
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby mtlenway » Tue Nov 30, 2004 12:06 pm

FantasyBearsRookie, your Rookie name is well suited. You are right in assuming that Dilfer and Delhomme are of average, at best, physically, but I believe both have gone to a Superbowl as starting QB's and Dilfer, correct me if I am wrong, has a Superbowl Ring to prove it. There is another QB of average ability, by the name of Tom Brady, that has proven you can win a Superbowl without a Manning, Elway, Marino type. Incidentally, how many superbowl rings is Marino sporting? Staubach, Stabler and Bradshaw were all of average physical ability but between them there has gotta be a dozen Superbowl rings in the jewelry chests.

I am not say Roth is the next Manning, Marino or Farve but he is a smart QB which will get them to a Superbowl this year and will very likely be the R.O.Y. But has absolutely no chance of being mistaken as MVP. The Pittsburgh MVP is their Defense.

I am really looking forward to the next Pittsburgh vs Baltimore game hoping the Lewis is back and healthy. The winner of this game will win the Superbowl.
mtlenway
Head Coach
Head Coach

(Past Year: 2)

Postby davus » Tue Nov 30, 2004 12:10 pm

FantasyBearsRookie wrote:Bull
When he has to throw for three TD"s they will lose. Mark my words. Obviously he is consistant however he has not had to play a big game yet. The defense beat New England and without Corey Dillion you can't expect much running fron them. Roethlisberger deserves the hype because all that counts is winning. However we are talking strictly on Benny and I am just expressing my opinion. He will be tested and when that time comes we will talk again. Average Quarterback at this time.
Trust me i would take him on the bears team in a second right now. Not over Rex though

You are a moron if you wouldn't take Ben over Rex in a heartbeat. Rex has done absolutely nothing and Ben has proven that he has the skills and the intangibles to play a good game...just wait until he has some experience. He has the most important things that a QB can have, field vision, accurate cannon arm and a good head on his shoulders.

This is speaking as a Steelers fan who lives in Chicago and has seen plenty of both. Ben is a level above Rex, plain and simple. Not saying Rex is bad, he hasn't had a chance to really prove that either way...but Ben is a better QB right now AND has more potential. You gotta take that every time, my friend.
davus
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby eaglesrule » Tue Nov 30, 2004 12:14 pm

im curious how pitt is going to definitely get past new england -- with a healthy dillon.

I am more curious is how baltimore is getting to the big game. now way on that one. their offense is trash -- I just don't think they can score enough to keep up with some of those teams -- especially the offensively talented teams with a decent defense, new england just blasted them. -- just me though ...
eaglesrule
General Manager
General Manager

Next

Return to Football Talk