Your opinion on Big Ben - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Your opinion on Big Ben

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Mookie4ever » Tue Nov 30, 2004 12:17 pm

I wouldn't compare him to Dilfer - Brady of a few years ago is a better comparison. Solid, few mistakes and smart but not necessarily a good fantasy QB.

"I think that gay marriage should be something between a man and a woman" Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeBaseball ModHockey ModBasketball ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby eaglesrule » Tue Nov 30, 2004 12:19 pm

hey dilfer was not as bad as the rap he seems to get. he certainly wasn't "good" but he was solid. I am having a hard time thinking of a team that won the super bowl with a "bad" quarterback. the worst descriptor I can think of is "adequate"
eaglesrule
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Football

Postby FantasyBearsRookie » Tue Nov 30, 2004 12:21 pm

mtleway
You have some good facts however you are nuts. Baltimore won't even make the playoffs and Pittsburgh will not win a game in the playoffs because they will have a bye. Therefore they will play San Diego or Colts and that team will definitely score and win. Peyton Manning is on a mission and no one will step in his way unless injury. Obviously weather will play a factor but it will not stop Peyton. Now back to Ben. I am not say you have to throw the ball all over the field and win week in and week out. I am just going on this years performances. Many interceptions and not many yards. It will catch up to him. could be a Berny Kosar, great teams no superbowl.
It's so hard to debate this for me because no matter what winning is everything, however i am debating Roethlisberg's ability. He is average right now and wait and see what I am talking about.
What makes him have great field vision is his height. Great advantage over most quarterbacks howver his time to take a game over will come and he will not get it done. This year any ways
FantasyBearsRookie Beginner
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Mookie4ever » Tue Nov 30, 2004 12:30 pm

FantasyBearsRookie wrote:mtleway
You have some good facts however you are nuts. Baltimore won't even make the playoffs and Pittsburgh will not win a game in the playoffs because they will have a bye. Therefore they will play San Diego or Colts and that team will definitely score and win. Peyton Manning is on a mission and no one will step in his way unless injury. Obviously weather will play a factor but it will not stop Peyton. Now back to Ben. I am not say you have to throw the ball all over the field and win week in and week out. I am just going on this years performances. Many interceptions and not many yards. It will catch up to him. could be a Berny Kosar, great teams no superbowl.
It's so hard to debate this for me because no matter what winning is everything, however i am debating Roethlisberg's ability. He is average right now and wait and see what I am talking about.
What makes him have great field vision is his height. Great advantage over most quarterbacks howver his time to take a game over will come and he will not get it done. This year any ways

Too bad Peyton can't play safety as well...

"I think that gay marriage should be something between a man and a woman" Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeBaseball ModHockey ModBasketball ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby petedog9 » Tue Nov 30, 2004 12:35 pm

You guys kill me....... You are trying to compare Ben against a seasoned Manning Elway or Marino??? Thats completely unfair!!!!!!! Does anyone remember how crappy Peyton was his first year??? Remember Aikman's first year as a QB??? What Ben is doing is nothing short of spectacular, plain and simple.... He is showing knowledge of the system, making the right throws and making them accurately and withing the offense. Has that rare size / strength / mobility that buys him time in the pocket and he still has the composure to keep his head down field and make the throw (usually for a big play). He is doing all that is asked of him and then some. The speed this kid has picked up the NFL game and the composure he has is very rare. Lets give him a traing camp as the starter and a few season to really figure out the NFL game and see what he can do.

Rex Grossman???? Are you kidding me???
petedog9
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby eaglesrule » Tue Nov 30, 2004 12:37 pm

NO WAY

do the colts beat the steelers.

Mission or not, the colts really haven't been doing this to good teams. It is mostly to bad teams. I don't doubt his skills, or think that he is undeserving of his accolades (after all, you can only play the games on your schedule), but he will get beat come pl;ayoff time.

the steelers and pats will just burn clock with the run game to keep them off the field.

Now, you ask, why doesn;t everyone do that? Well, because you would also need a pass game to make it work against the colts.

If you only have the run, you run the clock down on yourself, which is fine, unless you have a quick strike offense as your oppenent. But I think both of those teams could score through the air too if need be, thus giving them a plan b in case the colts do jump out to a lead. If they do not, you run, keep killing clock, and putting points on the board.

I don;t see the colts taking either of those teams out, as they would have to score on a higher percentage of their possesions in order to counter the clock kill. The strategy of the game would be like quicksand eventually. Either of those teams make them punt, the more time becomes a factor. forcing them to try and score quick, and thus eliminating breating room.

I just don't see it.
eaglesrule
General Manager
General Manager

Postby davus » Tue Nov 30, 2004 12:38 pm

FantasyBearsRookie wrote:mtleway

Many interceptions? He's got 6 INT's in 212 attempts and only 3 in his last 8 games.

:*)
davus
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby FantasyBearsRookie » Tue Nov 30, 2004 12:41 pm

Yes I agree that time will tell. Im not speaking about time. Im speaking now. He has not had to win a game. No he has not always made good decisions Interceptions near the goal line are unacceptable. Three times this year. I ahve watched every game. I realize that rookies will make those mistakes. However i am speaking this year. No way will they win or even go to the superbowl
When he is called upon to throw because they are trailing he will fail
Sorry
FantasyBearsRookie Beginner
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby mikeydavison » Tue Nov 30, 2004 12:41 pm

Ben has been an average fantasy QB, but it's hard to question his "real world" impact. While he hasn't single handedly won any games, he hasn't lost any either, which is asking quite a lot pretty good for a rookie.

Pittsburghs system is very friendly to a young QB though. They're very much a defense/running team and ask relatively little of their QB. He's playing well within their system and is doing exactly what has been asked of him.

The playoffs will be a big test, but he has done well in their biggest games so far this year (Philly, NE). It will be interesting to see how he performs if they get behind and he has to make a lot of throws, but I haven't seen anything so far that indicates he won't do well.
mikeydavison
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby maddog60 » Tue Nov 30, 2004 12:41 pm

FantasyBearsRookie wrote:Bull
When he has to throw for three TD"s they will lose. Mark my words. Obviously he is consistant however he has not had to play a big game yet. The defense beat New England and without Corey Dillion you can't expect much running fron them. Roethlisberger deserves the hype because all that counts is winning. However we are talking strictly on Benny and I am just expressing my opinion. He will be tested and when that time comes we will talk again. Average Quarterback at this time.
Trust me i would take him on the bears team in a second right now. Not over Rex though

No big games eh?

Lets see, so far he's played a game against one of the best defenses in the league during an almost-hurricane. Oh, it was only his first start, ever.

He's he to beat the defending Superbowl champs, who were undefeated for over a year, the defending champs of his conference, and have shown they still get it done through key injuries, so don't give me that no Corey Dillon makes them not a big game. They didnt have Dillon all last year and they still dominated all year long.

Then the very next week he has to face the NFC favorites for the Superbowl, the last undefeated team, a team that had beat nearly every opposing team so far by more than 10 points. Not a big game either eh?
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk