Your opinion on Big Ben - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Your opinion on Big Ben

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby dustyn » Tue Nov 30, 2004 1:24 pm

Again, I fail to see how completing 2/3rds of your passes, going 9-0 and having a 2:1 TD:INT ratio makes anyone "average."
dustyn
Water Boy
Water Boy

Home Cafe: Football

Postby eaglesrule » Tue Nov 30, 2004 1:25 pm

remember -- "wins" are a stat. people seem to forget that sometimes.
eaglesrule
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Chopper » Tue Nov 30, 2004 1:42 pm

As far as not making mistakes, I think one of the more impressive stats for a rookie QB is the fact that even though he's been sacked 22 times, he has only fumbled twice!

As opposed to some others:
Harrington, 26 sacks, 5 fumbles
Feeley, 12 sacks, 6 fumbles!
Brady, 19 and 5
Brunnel, 15 and 5
McNabb, 23 and 5
Krenzel, 23 and 7
Garcia, 24 and 8
Boller, 28 and 8
Brooks, 24 and 10....although, some of those he was actually throwing at hash marks
“The Green Bay Packers never lost a football game. They just ran out of time.”
Vince Lombardi
Chopper
Head Coach
Head Coach

Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby petedog9 » Tue Nov 30, 2004 2:03 pm

HEY FantasyBearsRookie............

He is no Jeff George

or

Chad Hutchinson........... BA HA HA HA HA HA!!!!!!!!
Last edited by petedog9 on Tue Nov 30, 2004 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
petedog9
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby saundman2000 » Tue Nov 30, 2004 2:04 pm

I think that people are forming opinions and drawing conclusions way too quickly.

For the most part, people seem to be falling in love with him and I don't get that. He has helped win several games, but thinking he is some kind of superstar is ridiculous. Especially in Fantasy terms, he has done only a mediocre job statistically.

On there other hand, there's the naysayers and doubters. There's nothing that indicates he will be a flop either. His short body of work in the NFL has all been pretty decent and if he continues to improve, then he might be a pro-bowler.

It is way too soon to pigeonhole Rothlisburger. Give him another year or two before we crown him or ridicule him.
RIDERS OF THE STORM
QB Vick
RB Adrian Peterson, Matt Forte, Lesean McCoy
WR Brandon Marshall, Kenny Britt
TE ?
DEF Flavor of the Week
K ?

=====> Post Feedback if my Reply Helped you
saundman2000
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby saundman2000 » Tue Nov 30, 2004 2:07 pm

eaglesrule wrote:remember -- "wins" are a stat. people seem to forget that sometimes.

Totally in real life, but in Fantasy, team wins count for nothing. Maybe they should, but I've seen no scoring system that uses wins/losses.
RIDERS OF THE STORM
QB Vick
RB Adrian Peterson, Matt Forte, Lesean McCoy
WR Brandon Marshall, Kenny Britt
TE ?
DEF Flavor of the Week
K ?

=====> Post Feedback if my Reply Helped you
saundman2000
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Cooner » Tue Nov 30, 2004 2:13 pm

people seem to have a very short memory. Yes, I agree with FantasyBearsRookie on a couple things- lately he has been throwing the ball indecisively. Lately he has not had to do anything except not make too many mistakes (which still ain't bad). However, I think Ben HAS shown that he can make plays, especially late in the Dallas game and early in both NE and Eagles games. Going up 21-0 early in both of those games was not done with a punishing running game. No defenses were tired and worn down by smash after smash of Duce or the Bus. In those games, early, it was done by setting up the pass with the run, then letting Big Ben make some nice tosses to Burress and Ward. And coming back to win the Dallas game was not done by running the ball, it was done by letting Ben run around and find open receivers.

So, I think in those three (admittedly limited) instances, Ben has shown he has the ability to make the big plays and carry his team when called upon. The slightly rattled Big Ben we've seen in the past two weeks could not have done it (and thankfully didn't need to). However, we have seen he has the ability to do it, and against some pretty good teams. Whether or not he will be able to come playoff time is something that only time will tell...
Last edited by Cooner on Tue Nov 30, 2004 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cooner
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby eaglesrule » Tue Nov 30, 2004 2:14 pm

i was talking for real life, because frankly, he is so far IMO from being a worthwhile starter (except for emergency) in fantasy, I figured we must be talking about real life.
eaglesrule
General Manager
General Manager

Postby mtlenway » Tue Nov 30, 2004 3:54 pm

Even in real life there are a dozen QB's I would favor over Big Ben to play behind the Steeler Lines.

Manning
Culpepper
McNabb
Farve
Plummer
Carr
Pennington
Brady
Bulger
Brees
Vick and for #12
McNair not necessarily in that order.
mtlenway
Head Coach
Head Coach

(Past Year: 2)

Postby mtlenway » Tue Nov 30, 2004 4:00 pm

You laugh at my prediction of Baltimore being a possible Superbowl contender? What is different about the 2004 Ravens and the one that won the Superbowl with Dilfer at the helm? You win championships with good defense and a running game, with a few exceptions. New Englands Defense will get exposed and more than likely it will be Manning to expose them. I honestly, Dillon or no Dillon, can not see New England getting past Indy, Pitt or Baltimore.

Yes New England defeated Baltimore last week but look closely at the game and New England did very little on offense for most of the game and won it on a couple of fluke plays.
mtlenway
Head Coach
Head Coach

(Past Year: 2)

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk