Whats everyone's fav fast food restaurant? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Whats everyone's fav fast food restaurant?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Whats everyone's fav fast food restaurant?

Postby The Artful Dodger » Mon Nov 15, 2010 1:37 pm

Metroid wrote:
The Artful Dodger wrote:I never had a McRib before and haven't quite got the cult fascination with it. Sounds nasty, really. Inevitably, McRib reminds me of The Simpsons episode where Homer chases after the ribwich at the next test market location.

As far as fast food goes, I don't really like chain restaurants all that much. Quiznos, In-N-Out, and Wendy's are OK, but I usually patronize the local businesses who serve a high quality offering.

Every now and then, I follow the food trucks. The last couple of years, L.A. has become a food truck heaven and now, you can find a variety of food trucks serving different cuisines. Good stuff.

Portland's "Cart Courts" are blowing up. They're basically a grouping of carts (food trucks/converted food buses/5th wheel food carts). They're popping up everywhere and are just about the greatest thing ever. In on spot you can chose from awesome burritos, pizza, burgers, sammiches, raviolis, Thai food, ice cream, etc. Most are open till 3 in the morning...it's like an end of the evening wonderland.

Yup, we have those too where all the food trucks congregate. It's a lot more convenient too because it's a hassle just to drive to the food truck stop, park, and wait in a long line (if you're late) just for one food truck.

It's incredible how fast the gourmet food truck scene has just evolved. Personally, I've always liked food trucks especially during my college days, but all it was only Mexican food, burgers, pastrami sandwiches, and the like. Now, since the Kogi BBQ truck, you can get any kind of cuisine for cheap on the food trucks. It's crazy. Not too long ago, I even found a truck that served Spanish tapas.

It's getting hard to keep track of the trucks and so, here's just a sample list of new and established trucks:

http://laist.com/2009/06/17/the_list_fo ... witter.php
The Artful Dodger
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Matchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby The Artful Dodger » Mon Nov 15, 2010 1:41 pm

SniperShot wrote:Five Guys burgers and fries no doubt.

They make better burgers and fries than some sit down restaurants that I've been to.

There are a couple of Five Guys restaurants that opened in the L.A. area. Tried them once and they're really good. I'd say even better than In-N-Out, as the selection is somewhat limited (even if you know the secret menu).

For me, the best burger in L.A. is the Father's Office burger... and they have an excellent beer selection. There are a few other upscale burger places that come to mind too, but the FO burger is still difficult to beat, IMO.
The Artful Dodger
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby The Artful Dodger » Mon Nov 15, 2010 1:57 pm

knapplc wrote:@Met & Artful - I am jealous of your food scene. I've watched a bunch of shows on Travel Channel where Bourdain or Zimmer or that little mousy blonde eats at a food cart and it always sounds so good. I'm sure you can find bad food carts, but for the most part they sound like a great alternative.

From my experience, I've yet to try a lousy food truck but that's only because I'm dependent on a few good reviews to try the place out. Usually, I'm not disappointed and the gourmet food trucks serve above average food, at least.

I think LA is an underrated food city. Usually, when people think of great food cities at least in the States, they think of New York and San Francisco. I've only been to NY once and so, I can't judge off that. SF tends to have a higher concentration of high-quality food all in one place than LA does, but LA makes up for it in variety. LA is more like a dartboard. You really have to rely on good word of mouth to discover some gems and usually, the best food isn't too terribly expensive either. London, in a sense, is like LA as far as food selection goes (but London is even pricier than NY). San Sebastian in Spain is more like San Francisco, in that you don't have to go too far off the track to find excellent food.
The Artful Dodger
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby joejlitz » Mon Nov 15, 2010 8:33 pm

bigh0rt wrote:
knapplc wrote:

They make better burgers and fries than some sit down restaurants that I've been to.

One just opened a few blocks from my office, but I haven't tried them yet. Sounds like I need to go.

@Met & Artful - I am jealous of your food scene. I've watched a bunch of shows on Travel Channel where Bourdain or Zimmer or that little mousy blonde eats at a food cart and it always sounds so good. I'm sure you can find bad food carts, but for the most part they sound like a great alternative.

Five Guys is very good. Order a small fries, there will be more than enough for you.

Chalk me up as another big fan of Five Guys. Best burgers in my area for sure. Order it with mushrooms and steak sauce :-L

Just so you know, each burger is actually a double patty - I was surprised when I first went there. No room for their fries in my belly!

Also - I second the McDonald's cheeseburgers comment. Their normal kids size cheeseburgers are great. When I go to McD's, I typically order the 2 cheeseburger meal.
"There is no charge for awesomeness or attractiveness." - Po (Kung Fu Panda)
joejlitz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 37)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby dgan » Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:02 pm

scottaa1 wrote:
dgan wrote:I love Culver's. Mostly Wisconsin, but I think they've branched out to a few neighboring states. Nothing better than a Double Bacon Butter Burger with the Works. And they make awesome desserts, too.

Culvers, that's the frozen custard place right? We have those here in Indy but I've never been to one.

Yeah, that's right. Hit one of their Butter Burgers instead of Hardees next time you're wanting a good burger. (There is no butter ON the burger...they just use butter when toasting their buns. And no, that is not what she said.)
dgan
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby joejlitz » Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:48 pm

dgan wrote:
scottaa1 wrote:
dgan wrote:I love Culver's. Mostly Wisconsin, but I think they've branched out to a few neighboring states. Nothing better than a Double Bacon Butter Burger with the Works. And they make awesome desserts, too.

Culvers, that's the frozen custard place right? We have those here in Indy but I've never been to one.

Yeah, that's right. Hit one of their Butter Burgers instead of Hardees next time you're wanting a good burger. (There is no butter ON the burger...they just use butter when toasting their buns. And no, that is not what she said.)

Yes it is.
"There is no charge for awesomeness or attractiveness." - Po (Kung Fu Panda)
joejlitz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 37)

Postby Metroid » Tue Nov 16, 2010 7:43 am

joejlitz wrote:
dgan wrote:
scottaa1 wrote:

Yes it is.

I can vouch, that is indeed what she said.
Metroid

ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye

Postby AquaMan2342 » Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:40 am

The Artful Dodger wrote:

There are a couple of Five Guys restaurants that opened in the L.A. area. Tried them once and they're really good. I'd say even better than In-N-Out, as the selection is somewhat limited (even if you know the secret menu).

For me, the best burger in L.A. is the Father's Office burger... and they have an excellent beer selection. There are a few other upscale burger places that come to mind too, but the FO burger is still difficult to beat, IMO.

Father's Office, Umami Burger and the Counter off Ocean Park are the three best burgers I had in LA.
AquaMan2342
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby shawngee03 » Tue Nov 16, 2010 1:37 pm

Taco Cabana. open 24 hours. free salsa bar. excellant queso. and they dont care if you come in wasted
shawngee03
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby The Artful Dodger » Tue Nov 16, 2010 3:00 pm

AquaMan2342 wrote:
The Artful Dodger wrote:

Father's Office, Umami Burger and the Counter off Ocean Park are the three best burgers I had in LA.

I have yet to try Umami Burger and while I've heard mixed reviews, I'll make it a point to go there soon. The Counter is really good too.

I used to work in Hollywood and there are a few upscale burger restaurants there too, which are up there with Father's Office. I frequented a place called Lucky Devils the most. Their burgers are pretty good, not amazing as people say, but by far, it has the best beer selection in Hollywood. The Bowery makes a fantastic sirloin burger with the works on an English muffin, but the place is a bit small and their beer selection (while respectable) doesn't hold a candle to Lucky Devils. There's a seafood restaurant not too far from there called The Hungry Cat and they make a gigantic burger called The Pug Burger. I'd have to say that should top the list of "bucket list" burgers you have to try. There's also a place called 25 Degrees in the Roosevelt Hotel where you can put all kinds of toppings on your burger, but their beer selection isn't as strong as FO, LD, and the Bowery.

Back on fast food burgers, Tommy's is an L.A. institution. They make the best chili cheeseburgers in town.
The Artful Dodger
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Previous

Return to General Talk