sportsline start em sit em - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

sportsline start em sit em

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby biju » Fri Dec 03, 2004 5:23 pm

saundman2000 wrote:Sportsline's start ' em/sit 'em is ok, but they don't really go out on a limb. I agree that most of the information they present in there is pretty obvious most times.

I prefer the NFL Freaks' Start - Bench List. These guys rank 'em as a) studs b) strong starts c) gut checks and d) forget about it.

http://www.nflfreaks.com/Fantasy_Footba ... /index.htm

They cover a lot of players and QB/WR/RB/TE positions. They use stats to back up their picks.

How have these fared over the last few weeks? I primarily ask because they are recommending starting Kevan Barlow over Fred Taylor and while it makes sense and I've considered it, I decided that you just don't bench players of Fred's caliber for players of Barlow's caliber.

This could actually swing me the other way if they've been good. Do they keep an archive? I didn't see one, but then again I didn't look too hard...

-M
biju
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Cooner » Fri Dec 03, 2004 6:10 pm

i'd like to hear the answer to biju's question as well... Goings as one of only two "must start studs"? I mean, yeah, he's got a nice matchup, but really? They seem to be more comfortable going out on a limb than other sites in general, not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing.
Cooner
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby tomkatt » Sat Dec 04, 2004 12:54 am

FFPlayinMoFo, ha ha ha. Laughing my ass off at your quote: "Every week, I pray to God that one of my guys isn't the Start of the Week." I hear ya there. Whoever they choose there seems to flop big. ;-D
"Sometime during the Pats game last week, I decided that Tomlinson was the best overall running back of my lifetime. There's nothing he can't do: deadly receiver, tough inside runner, explosive to the outside, you name it." - ESPN's Bill Simmons
tomkatt
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby mad benjamin » Sat Dec 04, 2004 6:50 am

Let's face it; no one has the prognosticative ability to pick players who will be on top every week and to expect otherwise is highly unreasonable.

That said, I agree that they could at least attempt to go on a limb and pick a sleeper from time to time they think will do well.
mad benjamin
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Goatwhacker » Sat Dec 04, 2004 8:55 am

Cooner wrote:i'd like to hear the answer to biju's question as well... Goings as one of only two "must start studs"?

Yeah, I noticed that, too. Kinda weird. I like the Freaks rankings but it looks like they have 3 or 4 guys doing the rankings - probably they are divvying up the research. What happens some times is you'll get one reviewer make sort of a rash judgement on his own(seems like it anyway). Other times you'll get reviewers disagreeing, where one guy will say "gut check" and another "strong start". Overall I like their rankings, though.
Goatwhacker
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Ricky_Christ » Sat Dec 04, 2004 3:02 pm

Always happy to have another source. Nice link, but I wouldn't swear by the ranks.
Praise Ricky!
Ricky_Christ
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby CommissionerBobHope » Sun Dec 05, 2004 12:23 pm

ff wouldn't be fun if you didn't have doubt. if you knew you would win every week, sure that would be great, but would it be fun?
this had nothing to do with this post.
A penny saved won't buy you anything.
CommissionerBobHope
Head Coach
Head Coach

Sweet 16 Survivor

Postby FFPlayinMoFo » Mon Dec 06, 2004 9:04 pm

This week's Start of the Week:

Willis McGahee -95 total yards and a fumble

And then on Saturdays they come out with the matchups and their matchup of the week. This week's matchup of the week:

Deuce McAllister- 23 total yards

Good job Sportsline ;-D
FFPlayinMoFo
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby winjr » Mon Dec 06, 2004 10:50 pm

FFPlayinMoFo wrote:This week's Start of the Week:

And then on Saturdays they come out with the matchups and their matchup of the week. This week's matchup of the week:

Good job Sportsline ;-D

Har! Think the writers at Sportsline realize that they, and only they, have the power to stop Peyton? Just plug him in as the
"Start/Matchup of the Week"!!

Come on, let's hear it now ... "Here we go matchup writers, here we go ...."
winjr
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby iloveny18 » Tue Dec 07, 2004 12:22 am

winjr wrote:
FFPlayinMoFo wrote:This week's Start of the Week:

Good job Sportsline ;-D

Har! Think the writers at Sportsline realize that they, and only they, have the power to stop Peyton? Just plug him in as the
"Start/Matchup of the Week"!!

Come on, let's hear it now ... "Here we go matchup writers, here we go ...."

lol....i believe he was the start of the week at one point. now if that wasn't obvious, even back in the early weeks, i don't know what is
iloveny18
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

(Past Year: 1)

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk