Another BCS Mess. - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to College Football

Another BCS Mess.

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Demented Avenger » Tue Dec 07, 2004 9:33 am

Free Bagel wrote:And don't cry for Cal and Texas, what a couple of overrated scrubs.

Cal's only loss was to #1 USC. Texas' only loss was to #2 Oklahoma.

And Cal's loss to USC was razor-thin close, if the kicker didn't miss the gimme field goal it would have gone into overtime. Also, how many QBs tie NCAA passing records (22 straight completions) against the #1 defense in the nation? (I'll give you a hint; it's less than 2).
Demented Avenger
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby befo » Mon Dec 20, 2004 12:49 am

Except for USC, the Pac-10 gets screwed in the BCS every year. I think when the Pac-10's contract is up, they should pull out.
befo
General Manager
General Manager

Postby SwiperNoSwiping » Mon Dec 20, 2004 1:51 am

I will disagree that Texas has a bad offense. Their's is very good in my opinon. If we are going to bash schedules, feel free to compare Texas' to Cal's. I think you will see Texas had by far the harder one.

And I don't really care that Cal had a top 6 scoring offense and defense this year. That is somewhat dependent on who you play, in my opinion.

I think Texas should beat up on Michigan in the Rose Bowl.
SwiperNoSwiping
Grillmaster
Grillmaster

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Demented Avenger » Mon Dec 20, 2004 2:59 am

Even if you're a Texas fan, you gotta admit it's pretty lame that Brown went begging for votes... one coach even voted Texas #2. How does a team get no #2 or #3 votes one week, and then get a #2 vote after not playing?

Cal dominated the game against USC, and came just 9 yards short of winning. Texas was SHUT OUT (the mark of a "very good" offense) by OU. If USC beats the crap out of OU, I hope you can admit that Cal is more deserving than Texas of the Rose Bowl.
"The signature"
Demented Avenger
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby Free Bagel » Mon Dec 20, 2004 3:27 am

Demented Avenger wrote:
Free Bagel wrote:And don't cry for Cal and Texas, what a couple of overrated scrubs.

Cal's only loss was to #1 USC. Texas' only loss was to #2 Oklahoma.

And Cal's loss to USC was razor-thin close, if the kicker didn't miss the gimme field goal it would have gone into overtime. Also, how many QBs tie NCAA passing records (22 straight completions) against the #1 defense in the nation? (I'll give you a hint; it's less than 2).

Cal's only loss was to USC..ok. But who did they beat? NOBODY.

Like I said, Cal essentially had two losses. They never beat Oregon. I could've gone out on that football game and caught that pass that would've beaten Cal, he was literally standing there waiting for a floater to hit him dead in the chest without a DB within 12 yards of him.

And since when is USC the #1 defense? Auburn has the #1 defense at 11.5 ppg. And if USC played in a D1 conference then they wouldn't even be on the list.

They should make the Pac-10 and Big East merge, and then re-apply together as one conference for reinstatement into the BCS picture.

Like I've said in the past, in the last 2 years I can pick out a 3-week span of many of the other ranked teams schedules where they played A) more ranked teams and B) more top 10 teams than USC or Cal do in an entire season.

I love how people were "unimpressed" with Auburns' 10 point win over #16 Tennessee a few weeks back, but didn't bother to mention USC's narrow 5-point escape against a putridly horrible unranked UCLA team a couple of hours earlier. USC gets a pass though because if anyone brings it up all their little sympathizers cry "west coast bias."

If USC or Cal were in the SEC they'd have 3 losses.
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby Demented Avenger » Mon Dec 20, 2004 4:16 am

Free Bagel wrote:Cal's only loss was to USC..ok. But who did they beat? NOBODY.

They beat Arizona State 27-0 when they (AZ St.) were ranked in the top 20. This same weak top 20 Pac-10 Sun Devil team spanked then-#16 (now #11) Iowa 44-7. And there IS an inherent West Coast Bias; there is a too-low percentage of West Coast coaches that vote in the Polls.

And while that Cal-Oregon game was horrible, that last play only stands out in your mind because it was the last play. The game is 60 minutes long. It's also worth noting that in that game, the Bears' top 4 (!) receivers as well as their #1 tight end were all either injured or out.

I agree that Auburn got shafted, and mostly because they didn't start the season ranked higher than OU or USC. However, that's exactly why I'm so pissed that Cal got shafted too, because an inactive team passed them up because Brown played politics while Tedford didn't run up the score.

(Re: the Auburn #1 defense thing, I'm pretty sure that USC was the #1 defense in the country when they played Cal, but if not they were definitely way up there.)
"The signature"
Demented Avenger
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby Demented Avenger » Mon Dec 20, 2004 4:18 am

befo wrote:Except for USC, the Pac-10 gets screwed in the BCS every year. I think when the Pac-10's contract is up, they should pull out.

Agreed. ;-D Let's have a Cal-USC Rose Bowl.
"The signature"
Demented Avenger
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby Free Bagel » Sun Jan 02, 2005 2:15 pm

VHawk15 wrote:If it wasn't for Jason Campbell's incredibly performance, they wouldn't have even been able to pull off a win against a team starting a 3rd string true freshman QB.

Whew, man did that team starting a 3rd string QB (Claussen isn't a freshman) look bad in that 38-7 shlacking of A&M in their bowl game. Can't believe Auburn *only* beat them by 10 points.

By the way, what did UCLA do this week? Oh that's right, they lost to WYOMING. HAhahhahahahahahahahhahahahaha. (I went and looked at Wyoming's schedule to make sure they weren't just some underrated team. They lost to the likes of New Mexico, Colorado State, BYU, etc. Oh yeah, and they lost to that Texas A&M team I mentioned earlier 31-0) It's a good thing USC showed everyone how great they are by spanking them by *5* points hours before Auburn beat UT by *only* 10.
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Postby Demented Avenger » Sun Jan 02, 2005 6:41 pm

You can't really compare scores like that. Some teams have bad days, some have good days, and some match up better against others. If you use comparative scoring, you can show that USC would beat Auburn by 84.

But yeah, UCLA was pretty sad...
"The signature"
Demented Avenger
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby Free Bagel » Tue Jan 04, 2005 11:23 am

Demented Avenger wrote:You can't really compare scores like that. Some teams have bad days, some have good days, and some match up better against others. If you use comparative scoring, you can show that USC would beat Auburn by 84.

But yeah, UCLA was pretty sad...

All that I'm saying is that people were just looking for a reason to justify USC being ahead of Auburn.

There's no other explanation for why people would jump all over Auburn "only" beating a top 15 team by 10 points but ignore the fact that USC escaped with a narrow 5 point win over a much much worse (6-6) team in a game played mere hours before the Auburn/UT game.
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

PreviousNext

Return to College Football