Baseball wins the Cafe Challenge - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Baseball wins the Cafe Challenge

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Lofunzo » Tue Dec 07, 2004 10:52 pm

Canadian_Cheesehead wrote:I must say I think my team is amazing still.

Check this starting lineup in a 12 team league.

QB - Carr
RB - Deuce McAllister
RB - Tiki
WR - Holt
WR - Plaxico
WR - Roy Williams
TE - Tony G
K - Akers
D - Buffalo

I must say that before your QB and RB came down to Earth, I was most afraid of your team the most. :-o
"There is no bad beer. Some are better than others."
Lofunzo
Head Coach
Head Coach

Baseball ModHockey Mod
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby CC » Tue Dec 07, 2004 10:53 pm

My problem was depth, there were no RBs on the waiver wire and even when I saw one I liked I couldnt figure out how to work the impossibly complicated system on Crossover. My 3rd RB was Charlie Garner and when he and Deuce went down I ended up starting Reshard Lee for like 4 weeks.
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Lofunzo » Tue Dec 07, 2004 10:55 pm

Canadian_Cheesehead wrote:My problem was depth, there were no RBs on the waiver wire and even when I saw one I liked I couldnt figure out how to work the impossibly complicated system on Crossover. My 3rd RB was Charlie Garner and when he and Deuce went down I ended up starting Reshard Lee for like 4 weeks.

The WW process was a bit odd but Mookie let it be known right away that you just needed to PM them to him and he would do them before Wednesday. :-?
Lofunzo
Head Coach
Head Coach

Baseball ModHockey Mod

Postby Free Bagel » Wed Dec 08, 2004 12:38 am

I think a major problem the football side had is that we didn't adjust enough to the QB-heavy scoring. RB's and WR's get scores you would see in any league, but Manning has put up over 50pts with this league's scoring on several occasions.

Kudos to Lofunzo for smoking us all in that category.
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby Lofunzo » Wed Dec 08, 2004 12:51 am

Free Bagel wrote:I think a major problem the football side had is that we didn't adjust enough to the QB-heavy scoring. RB's and WR's get scores you would see in any league, but Manning has put up over 50pts with this league's scoring on several occasions.

I agree that Manning has ruled but I took a calculated risk that he would be excellent rather than settle for a 2nd rate RB. I didn't even really look at the scoring before the league started. Manning, combined with a stacked set of WR, and some key WW moves has vaulted me to the top. I still have a few weeks to go, though.
Lofunzo
Head Coach
Head Coach

Baseball ModHockey Mod

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Wed Dec 08, 2004 11:15 am

It was slightly QB heavy in terms of scoring - but it was still pretty standard: 25passyds/point, 10rushyds/point, 6points per TD.

What you didnt factor in was Manning having the greatest season any QB has ever had. He is winning a lot of leagues for people this yr - regardless of scoring. It just so happens that in 25/10 leagues QBs are slightly more valuable.

OBTW - as far as the baseball side having a bunch of guys that frequent both cafe's a lot, how often does Lo and Gses come over here? Those are the guys that dominated this league (along with FB). Me, Amazinz, and Mookie all have over 1000 posts here, but none of us have a record over .500 in this league. Im 5-8. So its not like we are a bunch of ringers who won this for the baseball side.

All I know is that you guys better start thinking about baseball here in the next couple months, or the return leg could get ugly. }:-)
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Mookie4ever » Wed Dec 08, 2004 11:40 am

Some of these make me laugh.

Canadian_Cheesehead wrote:My problem was depth, there were no RBs on the waiver wire

No disrespect intended CC - but in a competitive 12 team league did you expect to find good RBs on the ww?

terpfan wrote:i'm not sure you guys really count as baseballers if you've got quad digit posts over here!

:-b

I think that I had 35 posts over here when I started this thing ;-)

All of the baseball team had more posts on the baseball side when this started.

VHawk15 wrote:Wait, how did you guys already win? Isn't it who wins the league?

Ok, you got me. The league isn't over yet and we haven't crowned an individual champion yet - I'm just pointing out that with one week still to go, the baseball side has won more games than the football side and the football side can't catch up. Cafe vs. cafe, the Baseball side won :-D

Free Bagel wrote:I think a major problem the football side had is that we didn't adjust enough to the QB-heavy scoring. RB's and WR's get scores you would see in any league, but Manning has put up over 50pts with this league's scoring on several occasions.

As Cornbread pointed out, its not really a QB-heavy scoring system. It's pretty standard, maybe a little more QB scoring. A lot of QBs could be scoring as much as Manning. C-Pep, Hass, Favre, McNair, McNabb etc, all had the potential to put up numbers just as large as Manning in this scoring system. We only start one QB and there were so many that had the potential to put up these numbers that it did not change the draft strategy at all.

The one person that was really riding Lo hard was KG - where is he? :-?

And before Lofunzo gets a swelled head I would like to point out that in our NL only roto league last year, Lofunzo finished dead last :-b

"I think that gay marriage should be something between a man and a woman" Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeBaseball ModHockey ModBasketball ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby CC » Wed Dec 08, 2004 3:31 pm

LOL, since Gses and Lofunzo had the best two records, maybe all this Challenege proved is that the Cafe made you worse at FF. ;-)
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Free Bagel » Wed Dec 08, 2004 4:24 pm

Cornbread Maxwell wrote:It was slightly QB heavy in terms of scoring - but it was still pretty standard: 25passyds/point, 10rushyds/point, 6points per TD.

What you didnt factor in was Manning having the greatest season any QB has ever had. He is winning a lot of leagues for people this yr - regardless of scoring. It just so happens that in 25/10 leagues QBs are slightly more valuable.

I couldn't disagree with this more. It's not the 25/10 thing that favors QB's, it's the combination of 25 yards passing per point AND 6 points per passing TD. I've never seen that combo, any league I've seen with 25 yards passing per point has always had 4 point passing TD's. This is how it's done in my money league and Manning on his best days gets somewhere in the mid to low 30's in points, whereas in this league he's scoring 50+.

For comparisons sake, for a RB or WR to up up that many points, it would take more than 140 yards rushing/receiving yards and 6 rushing/receiving TD's.

I can't recall any RB or WR doing that in the history of football.
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby Lofunzo » Wed Dec 08, 2004 4:39 pm

Cornbread Maxwell wrote:It was slightly QB heavy in terms of scoring - but it was still pretty standard: 25passyds/point, 10rushyds/point, 6points per TD.

OBTW - as far as the baseball side having a bunch of guys that frequent both cafe's a lot, how often does Lo and Gses come over here? Those are the guys that dominated this league (along with FB). Me, Amazinz, and Mookie all have over 1000 posts here, but none of us have a record over .500 in this league. Im 5-8. So its not like we are a bunch of ringers who won this for the baseball side.

All I know is that you guys better start thinking about baseball here in the next couple months, or the return leg could get ugly. }:-)

I have been registered here for a while but that was only shortly after I signed up on the Dark Side. I didn't really start posting here regularly until this season.
Lofunzo
Head Coach
Head Coach

Baseball ModHockey Mod

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk