ethical question - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

ethical question

Moderator: Football Moderators

ethical question

Postby GreenBay4Life » Tue Dec 07, 2004 7:08 pm

im in the playoffs however the team that is behind is in danger of losing its position next week bc his team has basically sucked the last 6 weeks. the team that is going to take his place has much better players and i could possible loose to them in the playoffs. i play the second place team this week and if he wins he is in and if he looses he is out. would it be unethical to start all my weak players in order to get the weaker team against me in the playoffs or should i consider to start my normal squad. there is alot of money riding on this league so i want to make sure i atleast have the very best chance to succeed. thanks to all those that respond.

2004: 2 League's 2 Championships
2005: 2 League's 2nd place and 6th place
2006: 1 league 2nd place
GreenBay4Life
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Mock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Football

Postby matmat » Tue Dec 07, 2004 7:56 pm

icky.
As long as you leave no roster spot open, I would be ok with starting your backups.
How is my typing? Call 1-555-382-5968
Many posters could benefit from this.
matmat
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Arlo » Tue Dec 07, 2004 8:04 pm

The answer to this question certainly varies from league to league. In my own, this sort of thing is a no-no.
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Kensat30 » Tue Dec 07, 2004 11:07 pm

In a big money league anything goes IMO as long as there isn't a rule against it in the rule book. Karma would dictate that you will lose in the playoffs if you try this approach, but if it makes you feel like you have a better shot at the cash then go for it.
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Writer

Postby CC » Tue Dec 07, 2004 11:09 pm

Thats pretty low, I would go for the win every week. Kensat is right about karma, if you tank it this week, your stars will tank it in the playoffs.
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby kevinoc81 » Wed Dec 08, 2004 8:50 am

It is not collusion in the sense that the weaker team is not in on this with you. You are not doing this for him, you are doing it for yourself. I still think it is a cheap, low-ball thing to do and I would hope that you would simply worry about winning your own games and let the competition fall however they fall.

Think of it this way? Would it be unethical for the Eagles to play back-ups and tank a game in the screwed up NFC this year to get the Bears, Giants, Lions, etc. into the playoffs so they didn't have to play the Rams or Seahawks.
kevinoc81
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Vlad the Impaler_ffc » Wed Dec 08, 2004 9:32 am

This kind of action threatens the integrity of your league. Intentionally playing inferior players in an indirect attempt to lose is a no-no in every major sport. There are a few exceptions in the NFL, including (1) when a team already clinched and doesn't want to risk injury; and (2) when the season is lost and they want to see what their young guys can do. Neither of these justifications is applicable to FF. When a team tanks on purpose for purely selfish reasons, i.e., to get a better draft pick, that kind of action is almost universally condemned in all major sports.

You can't make rules in FF to cover every type of situation that will come up. The teams have to use common sense and at least a baseline level of integrity, or else the league will be stale. One common sense rule that I don't think needs to be written down is that every team must make a good faith effort to win their game each week.
Vengeance is mine.
Vlad the Impaler_ffc
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby GreenBay4Life » Wed Dec 08, 2004 10:58 am

thanks for all the replies i appreciate the help. i think im going to keep my lineup pretty much the same except im switching 2 guys in that are in bad matchups(ex: pennington, redskins dfense). i think it is fair bc my lineup is still better then the guy im playing.

by the way:
Some of you are probably right i probably will loose in the playoffs if i get the guy i want in. ohh well this is the way the fantasy gods will teach me a lesson.

thanks for the input everyone

2004: 2 League's 2 Championships
2005: 2 League's 2nd place and 6th place
2006: 1 league 2nd place
GreenBay4Life
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby black_hawk8888 » Wed Dec 08, 2004 2:42 pm

Do not anger the football gods. Even worse is angering the fantasy football gods. If an NFL coach ever put out a non-competitive squad in week 17 to land a more favorable matchup in the playoffs, he would be shot at on sight.......
black_hawk8888
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor
Location: Still staring in horror as Palmer's knee buckles on the 2nd snap of the game...

Postby eaglesrule » Wed Dec 08, 2004 3:31 pm

well, that isn't totally apt, because an NFL team can play defense. "ducking" someone like that is quite lame, because you have to settle it on the field.

but fantasy football is more like golf than football in the respect that your scores are independent from each other, and there is nothing you can really do to prevent the other person from scoring.

sometimes a tank can be necessary, although it shows a complete lack of stones. I wouldn't necessarily do it, but then again, if it were for hundreds of dollars, I don't know.

I wouldn't call it "unethical" though. You are allowed to draft and field the team you want, provided you put in a valid lineup for your league.

what's next? vetoes for dumb draft picks? vetoes for questionable lineup decisions?

I think it is a slippery slope. The poitn isn't to win week 14, the point is to win the season.

NFL and MLB coaches always do this, to pretend otherwise is silly.

They don't tank to keep people out of playoffs (but then again, can actively play defense too), but they certainly don't always submit their strongest lineup. See teams that sit key players in out of conference matchups, or sit studs to get helathy for key games.

Do what you think gives you the best chance to win it all. But I think you should shy away from it for karmic reasons. If you are scared, get a dog. but play your team. you can't ever be sure of what happens in the playoffs anyway.
eaglesrule
General Manager
General Manager

Next

Return to Football Talk