ethical question - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

ethical question

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby spodog » Wed Dec 08, 2004 7:27 pm

Screw Karma. There is no such thing.

Start whoever you want. If your objective is to post a loss, drop your backups and pick up no-names and start them :-?

Tricks like this always work out!

Signed,

Your opponent this week
spodog
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerCafe SpotterWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby mtryanks12 » Wed Dec 08, 2004 9:07 pm

If you want to be the most fair, you should start your normal roster and focus on winning that one game before focusing on the playoffs. Starting your backups is the wrong thing to do.
mtryanks12
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor

Postby krazymop » Wed Dec 08, 2004 11:04 pm

I would do whatever I felt gave me the best chance to win. If that means playing my backups to ensure a good matchup come playoff time, then thats what i would do. this isn't about ethics, it's about common sense. the goal is to win the league outright. you can set your own team any way you want. iit's not like you are colluding with someone. you are simply doing what's best for your team.

i don't care about what happens in the real sport. this isn't the real sport. this is fantasy. different strategies apply.
krazymop
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

(Past Year: 16)

Postby Fast Eddy » Thu Dec 09, 2004 6:51 pm

Vlad the Impaler wrote:This kind of action threatens the integrity of your league. Intentionally playing inferior players in an indirect attempt to lose is a no-no in every major sport. There are a few exceptions in the NFL, including (1) when a team already clinched and doesn't want to risk injury; and (2) when the season is lost and they want to see what their young guys can do. Neither of these justifications is applicable to FF. When a team tanks on purpose for purely selfish reasons, i.e., to get a better draft pick, that kind of action is almost universally condemned in all major sports.

You can't make rules in FF to cover every type of situation that will come up. The teams have to use common sense and at least a baseline level of integrity, or else the league will be stale. One common sense rule that I don't think needs to be written down is that every team must make a good faith effort to win their game each week.

I am a little uneasy about it but I don't think your analogies are good. I think it is more analogous to racing. In WRC racing, a race team often asks one of its drivers to slow down so another driver on the team can pass them. If the faster driver isn't doing as well in total championship points for the year, he may be asked to slow down so the other driver can get maximum championship points which gives him and the team the best chance to win it all.

The difference is, if you intentionally tank, another team can benefit from your tank. Overall, I would say you should play your best lineup and hope for the best.
Fast Eddy
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby moochman » Thu Dec 09, 2004 7:09 pm

A good general rule of thumb is that if you have to ask if it is right, it it wrong.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby tman570 » Fri Dec 10, 2004 12:58 am

I think this a big no-no, someone did this last week to get a better draft pick and they were fined.
tman570
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Previous

Return to Football Talk