Who is the MVP out of running backs this year? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Who is the MVP out of running backs this year?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Who is the MVP out of running backs this year?

Postby Nilmerf » Wed Dec 08, 2004 5:07 am

Tiki Barber and Ladanian Tomlinson have put up great numbers. But one is a losing team, and one is a team revitalized by Brees and Gates. Shaun Alexander is my personal favourite player, but not even he can vault the Seahawks to a winning record in a weak division/conference.

In my mind, no running back is more valuable to their team this year than Curtis "My Favourite" Martin. He has almost single-handedly launched the Jets to a very decisive winning record in the strong AFC.

What do you think?
Nilmerf
Head Coach
Head Coach

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby mad benjamin » Wed Dec 08, 2004 5:27 am

One could almost make an argument that McGahee could be the MVP of RBs; look at their record before he started (0-4) and their record since (6-2). He has been a real difference maker for his team, and that could be what the very definition of MVP comes down to. (I laugh at publications anointing McGahee R.O.Y.; he isn't a rookie; this is his second year--duh!)

I don't think you can forget about Corey Dillon, either, who week after week seems to quietly put up 100+ and 1 or 2 TDs. As good as the Pats are, I don't think they win as many games w/out him toting the rock.

Are there better backs? Sure are. But LT had been nicked up and the Chargers were able to win and some of the others are great but still on bad teams or teams who are starting to slide (ala Barber and Alexander). The measure of MVP isn't always about stats; it's about what a player means to the team, as well.
mad benjamin
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby no1cowboysfan » Wed Dec 08, 2004 5:36 am

I have 2...

Willis McGahee and Julius Jones...

both teams are completely changed with those two in the backfield.

'Cause I'm Cow ... Boy ... for life.
no1cowboysfan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Nilmerf » Wed Dec 08, 2004 5:47 am

I would be reluctant to choose someone who has played in half (or less) of the games this year.

McGahee is a decent choice, but Jones has only played in 3 games this year. Hardly MVP caliber.

The Patriots have probably the most balanced team in the league, and won the Super Bowl without Dillon. He definitely doesn't mean as much to the team as a Curtis Martin does to the Jets.
Nilmerf
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby no1cowboysfan » Wed Dec 08, 2004 5:59 am

Let's take the word MVP into context... most valuable player. Cowboys without a rishing game are in great shape for April. Cowboys with a running game are playoff contenders. Sit on that one...

And I know that next Sunday he could fall flat on his face (not bloody likely, he plays NO). But at this time, I'd say he's awfully valuable. Remember, the 'Boys are banking on more steady preformances from Jones to carry them into hopefully playoff glory. If he were hurt, their chances are shot to Hell. So Jones' VALUE to his team is worth his weight in gold. Or rather, Jones is worth an elephant's weight in gold.

'Cause I'm Cow ... Boy ... for life.
no1cowboysfan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby 34=Sweetness » Wed Dec 08, 2004 6:52 am

no1cowboysfan wrote:Let's take the word MVP into context... most valuable player. Cowboys without a rishing game are in great shape for April. Cowboys with a running game are playoff contenders. Sit on that one...

And I know that next Sunday he could fall flat on his face (not bloody likely, he plays NO). But at this time, I'd say he's awfully valuable. Remember, the 'Boys are banking on more steady preformances from Jones to carry them into hopefully playoff glory. If he were hurt, their chances are shot to Hell. So Jones' VALUE to his team is worth his weight in gold. Or rather, Jones is worth an elephant's weight in gold.
Jones has played 3 games. Sorry, not big enough to give him the MVP. I'd say RB MVP should be Dillon or Martin.
ImageImage
34=Sweetness
General Manager
General Manager

Postby PSU All Day » Wed Dec 08, 2004 8:06 am

I would give serious consideration to Brian Westbrook. The Eagles are a different team with him in the lineup.

Would they be leading the division without him? Maybe. But he means more to the team than any other player including mcnabb and TO.
PSU All Day
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby gatorman1122 » Wed Dec 08, 2004 10:10 am

But he means more to the team than any other player including mcnabb and TO.

That's a stretch.

Westbrook got 3 tds the other day (receiving tds not rushing tds) because the Green Bay D was so focused on TO.
gatorman1122
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby BrutallyHuge » Wed Dec 08, 2004 10:23 am

In fantasy, Shaun.

In real life, CMart.

Pats dominated last year without Dillon. For that reason, I cannot give him an MVP.
BrutallyHuge
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby vdragon78 » Wed Dec 08, 2004 10:31 am

Easy
in ff and in the NFL -- Curtis Martin.
vdragon78
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff