Marv gets a 7-year deal - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Marv gets a 7-year deal

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Turnip » Wed Dec 08, 2004 6:17 pm

When you lead by 30 points in the first quarter you know the team is going to pass and you can cheat. It's not that bad yet usually but they obviously win games with their offense and they're trying to keep it intact. I agree with GLG, with draft picks and another year together this defense is improving. Hell, they could be working on their 2nd super bowl in a row next year.
Turnip
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe RankerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby The Miner Part 2 » Wed Dec 08, 2004 6:31 pm

goleafsgo96 wrote:
The Miner Part 2 wrote:i think this is stupid. peyton could have a 35 TD season with wayne, those tightends and any medicore number 2 wideout. they arent gonna win a superbowl this year because of that defense and it looks like this will be thier future as well.

you dont always have to add a player to improve a D. that defense is quite young with guys like Frreney, Doss, Morris isnt that old. Adding a CB in the draft could give them a solid D next year.

yes, youre exactly right, all the colts d questions will be answered at the 28th pick of next years draft. :-t
The Miner Part 2
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby CC » Wed Dec 08, 2004 6:37 pm

Lots of quality corners (Webster, Miller) that can possibly be had at that slot. At the very worst you can get an impact LB like Blackstock or Greenway.
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Mercer Boy » Wed Dec 08, 2004 6:40 pm

I'm sorry, but I would not break up one of the most prolific QB/WR combos in NFL history just to get draft picks on defense. You always take chances drafting anyone; with Marv on the payroll you know what you're getting. If the high pick busts, they just made both sides of the ball worse.

I think this was a key move for the Colts. Yes, their defense sucks and yes, they could end up like KC next year (but I highly doubt it). All they have to do is actually go out and find some players that want to work for a championship and don't need the big bucks to be coaxed into it. KC didn't do that last year, and now they are paying the price. Changing coaches doesn't solve anything. Getting players who have sound fundamentals and work hard towards the end goal can solve it.

To me, the Colts would have been way worse off getting rid of Marvin and Edge (if they can tag him). Those guys demand way too much respect from defenses to break them up.

If they keep that offense intact for next year and improve to be a middle of the road defense, they may really have something there.
The One, the Only, the Incomparable Mercer Boy.
My My YouTube.
Mercer Boy
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Bennett4prez » Wed Dec 08, 2004 6:56 pm

Exactly. If I ain't broke, don't fix it.

The Colts offense will always keep them in games. No reason to lessen the squad. I would be flat out pissed if the Vikings didn't sign back Moss in order to free up cap room to sign a defensive player. Just like you will never see the Ravens get rid of Ed Reed for a WR.

Also, draft picks are WAY underrated. Ray Lewis was drafted with the 26th pick in 1996.

Be glad the Colts found a way to sign both James and Marv if they want to.
[url=http://www.fantasyfootballcafe.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=106] Check Us Out! A New Debate Daily![/url]

TICE FIRED!
Bennett4prez
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberWeb SupporterSweet 16 Survivor

Postby The Miner Part 2 » Wed Dec 08, 2004 7:05 pm

well no one quoted me so im not sure if you were talking to me, but i wasnt talking about draft picks, i was talking about the colts having some money to sign some big free agents.
The Miner Part 2
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Bennett4prez » Wed Dec 08, 2004 7:07 pm

The Miner Part 2 wrote:yes, youre exactly right, all the colts d questions will be answered at the 28th pick of next years draft. :-t

Umm... ;-7
[url=http://www.fantasyfootballcafe.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=106] Check Us Out! A New Debate Daily![/url]

TICE FIRED!
Bennett4prez
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberWeb SupporterSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Turnip » Wed Dec 08, 2004 7:08 pm

The Miner Part 2 wrote:
goleafsgo96 wrote:
The Miner Part 2 wrote:i think this is stupid. peyton could have a 35 TD season with wayne, those tightends and any medicore number 2 wideout. they arent gonna win a superbowl this year because of that defense and it looks like this will be thier future as well.

you dont always have to add a player to improve a D. that defense is quite young with guys like Frreney, Doss, Morris isnt that old. Adding a CB in the draft could give them a solid D next year.

yes, youre exactly right, all the colts d questions will be answered at the 28th pick of next years draft. :-t

Or, perhaps, 32nd ;)
Turnip
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe RankerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Nilmerf » Wed Dec 08, 2004 7:17 pm

It was a good move to sign him, but couldn't they have done it for less money? I mean, by the time this contract is over he'll be making $10 million when he's 100 years old.
Nilmerf
Head Coach
Head Coach

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby KingGhidra » Wed Dec 08, 2004 7:25 pm

Nilmerf wrote:It was a good move to sign him, but couldn't they have done it for less money? I mean, by the time this contract is over he'll be making $10 million when he's 100 years old.

Won't matter, he'll never see the money from the last 3-4 years of that contract.
KingGhidra
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk