Marv gets a 7-year deal - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Marv gets a 7-year deal

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby KingGhidra » Wed Dec 08, 2004 7:30 pm

The Miner Part 2 wrote:i think this is stupid. peyton could have a 35 TD season with wayne, those tightends and any medicore number 2 wideout. they arent gonna win a superbowl this year because of that defense and it looks like this will be thier future as well.

Manning has only thrown for 30 TDs twice in his career and that was WITH Harrison. What makes you think he can do the same without him?
KingGhidra
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Turnip » Wed Dec 08, 2004 7:33 pm

KG is right, don't underestimate the impact that Harrison makes down the field. Many of the TD passes to Wayne/Stokely/etc are set up by Harrison.
Turnip
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe RankerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby SwiperNoSwiping » Wed Dec 08, 2004 7:53 pm

I completely agree that Marvin creates a lot of room for Stokely and Wayne to work with single coverage. If Marvin wasn't there, it would be a lot harder for Wayne and Stokes to even have close to the same success they are having with Marvin.

I have said all along that they will resign Harrison, and I am glad that they did. Now, they should be able to resign James, if he would like to stay in Indy. My bet is he would. Plus they could franchise him.

As for the comments about shoring up their defense it is very young. If our Mock Draft holds true, I think Marlin Jackson would be a welcome addition to their secondary. If not, Justin Miller assuming he comes out or another corner would be good for them. Rolle will be gone, and arguments could be made that Miller or Jackson may be around when it's time for them to pick.

Their defense is getting better and I still look for them to add DL help and a LB as well. But their biggest need is to get a corner in there.

Look for them to resign Stokely soon too.
SwiperNoSwiping
Grillmaster
Grillmaster

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Dr. Duran Duran » Wed Dec 08, 2004 7:56 pm

SwiperNoSwiping wrote:Look for them to resign Stokely soon too.

God, I hope so, another year of this offense would be awesome. Nonetheless, great news to hear Marv will be around for another seven years.
Dr. Duran Duran
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterTrivia Time Trial ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby warrick95 » Wed Dec 08, 2004 8:20 pm

Rotoworld made an interesting comment that the way they spread Marvin's money will allow them to make a serious run at Edge. However, it's clear that a top WR like Marvin is obviously the priority here. Edge may be great, but the offense is functional with Dom Rhodes lined up behind Peyton, too.

I also would not discount the job the Indy offensive line has done. They may not get the pub of the KCs and other units in the league, but this unit, like the Pats' offensive line, works together cohesively and manages to get the job done week in week out.

I'm also not all that enamored by Stokley. I feel like the Indy offense is strongly benefitted by having a speed receiver working out of the slot, but that really doesn't need to be Stokley. They really shouldn't pay him any sort of big cash to stay. They could get plenty of production out of other track-quick guys like Pinkston, IMO, inside the dome.

As for the defense, it's been functional enough to get them where they are now...and the scary part is, has been actually playing better as of late. Dungy is a defensive schememaster and will find a way to have the defense be just marginally good enough to result in perhaps a Super Bowl victory.
"The son of Bobby Bowden once again proved he's as predictable as a Julia Roberts' movie.

And upon further review, just as sappy, too."
-Naples Daily News
warrick95
Head Coach
Head Coach

Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Trying to clog the leaky Bengals defense with plastic putty...

Postby The Lung » Wed Dec 08, 2004 9:49 pm

warrick95 wrote:I'm also not all that enamored by Stokley. I feel like the Indy offense is strongly benefitted by having a speed receiver working out of the slot, but that really doesn't need to be Stokley. They really shouldn't pay him any sort of big cash to stay. They could get plenty of production out of other track-quick guys like Pinkston, IMO, inside the dome..

I'm a huge Stokley fan, who, after watching his success in the playoffs last year, was one of the few (that I know of) who prognostiscated big things from him this season; I drafted him in the late rounds of every league I'm in and have reaped the benefits. But I agree that virtually any receiver would likely succeed in that 3rd WR role.

Still, I'm enthused by Marvin's re-signing and hope that Edge will stay and keep this juggernaut of an offense intact. I'll do everything I can to grab Marvin, Reggie, or Brandon next year.
(~);}

(~);}
The Lung

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 61)

Postby husker_fanatic » Wed Dec 08, 2004 10:36 pm

why do you think peyton throws for that many yards and TD's? they double team harrison alot of times which leaves recievers like stokeley and wayne open.
husker_fanatic
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby gtgrad95 » Thu Dec 09, 2004 8:11 am

IMHO, I don't think it was a good move. Wayne could be a #1 receiver on any other team and they would do just fine with Wayne, Stokley, and Walters next year. The cog that drives that offense is James and I think he should've been top priority. A back that can run and catch is scarce. Plus, Marv is 32 and isn't getting any younger. Wayne is very talented and could've been a seamless plugin.
gtgrad95
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby killiansjmd » Thu Dec 09, 2004 10:19 am

husker_fanatic wrote:why do you think peyton throws for that many yards and TD's? they double team harrison alot of times which leaves recievers like stokeley and wayne open.

I agree. Marvin opens up that offense for Wayne, Stokely and the TE's. It was a good signing IMO and like it was mentioned above I'm sure he will not see the end of that contract.
Thanks to Metroid for the sig!
killiansjmd
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby JimmyChoi » Thu Dec 09, 2004 10:27 am

My question is how they plan on paying for all this?? I mean with all of these insane signing bonuses ...how will the cap affect things..??? I guess this kind of money eliminates keeping Wayne and Stokely for the long term??
JimmyChoi
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk