Marv gets a 7-year deal - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Marv gets a 7-year deal

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby King Colt » Thu Dec 09, 2004 11:32 am

[quote="JimmyChoi"]My question is how they plan on paying for all this?? quote]

I know that Jim Irsay was really close to selling some of his personal belongings (he has a collection of vintage guitars) to help finance the $35 million bonus Peyton got this season.

Also, good job by Polian and crew to get Marvin under contract. Some folks on here talk like Marvin isn't on course to become the 2nd greatest WR in NFL history. Replaceable? I think you're taking his skills for granted.

I don't have any concerns about his age. It's already been pointed out that the final years of the contract aren't likely to be honored. Marvin is also in outstanding physical shape and rarely (never) takes big hits.
King Colt
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Warpigs » Thu Dec 09, 2004 12:28 pm

It will be interesting to see everyone jump on the Dominic Rhodes bandwagon -- however, I still strongly believe that the Colts will make a strong push for Travis Henry, who should be pretty cheap after this season.
Warpigs
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerCafe Spotter
(Past Year: 3)

Postby goleafsgo96 » Fri Dec 10, 2004 3:29 pm

The Miner Part 2 wrote:
goleafsgo96 wrote:
The Miner Part 2 wrote:i think this is stupid. peyton could have a 35 TD season with wayne, those tightends and any medicore number 2 wideout. they arent gonna win a superbowl this year because of that defense and it looks like this will be thier future as well.

you dont always have to add a player to improve a D. that defense is quite young with guys like Frreney, Doss, Morris isnt that old. Adding a CB in the draft could give them a solid D next year.

yes, youre exactly right, all the colts d questions will be answered at the 28th pick of next years draft. :-t

ya cause ya kno thats basically what i said.

Hey, Carson Palmer hasnt performed very well, the Bengals should go sign a big money QB. Fitz hasnt been the superstar people thought hed be, i hope the Cards go after a big money WR.

Wait a second, maybe i should give these guys more time before i judge them. And maybe you should let the young guys on the colts defense get a little more experience too. I said that D is YOUNG and will get better, and yes, that 28th pick will make a great deal as there are alot of quality CBs in this years draft.

Finally, do me a favour and dont respond to this, your last quoting of me was ridiculous.
Chris Leak-QB-Florida Gators
goleafsgo96
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby no1cowboysfan » Fri Dec 10, 2004 4:29 pm

I love how as the posts get meaner, the spelling/punctuation/grammar gets worse... :-D

Anyways, both may be right, but Leafs, while there are a bunch of young, talented defensive players on the Colts, there are also talentless players. And yes, the draft will help correct it, if they spend their first three picks on defense, but of course it will not correct the entire defense... and I know you aren't saying that.

Miner, what you need to realize is that the Colts defense doesn't need to be great... they need to be good enough. With Peyton, Marvin, Wayne, Pollard, Clark, and whoever is starting RB next year, they will still trounce everyone, like this year. And a shutdown corner would definitely help their ailing defense if they addressed that problem in the draft. It wouldn't be a brick wall defense, but it might be good enough.

MY TAKE on this situation, as I have stated many times, is that the Colts should have done away with both Edge and Marvin. Rhodes, or another RB (just a 1000 yard back... Barlow, Henry, etc.) will work in Indy's offense, because teams won't care about the run with Peyton coming off a 40+ TD season. Also, drafting a WR in an ealy round, not necessarily the first, would help to add to the Colts missing Marvin... but Peyton has proved he can make anyone look good. The reason why I would suggest this is because the Colts are in cap HELL, and they do need to get some defensive players...

Leafs, the problem with your defensive theory is that the Colts can't wait for the defense to mature... they need a SB win NOW, because they won't be able to hold everything together pretty soon. Giving Marvin and Peyton such ludicrisly large contracts have pretty much killed off any cap the Colts will have in 2 years... at which time some major restructuring to the Colts will have to be done. And let's say the Colts D starts maturing rapidly, and they become the defense the Colts need by next year. That would be great for them, but the problem is... what do players who preform better always want? More money... and therefore, the Colts would be back in square one. That is why I think the Colts should have done away with both Marvin and Edge.

'Cause I'm Cow ... Boy ... for life.
no1cowboysfan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby The Lung » Sat Feb 19, 2005 7:51 pm

Didn't want to start a new thread for just this:

Ken Kobayashi and Peter Boylan, of the Honolulu Advertiser, report Honolulu police are investigating Indianapolis Colts WR Marvin Harrison of assault three days before the Pro Bowl. He was interviewed by police Saturday, Feb. 12, in connection to two misdemeanor third-degree assault cases and a petty misdemeanor harassment case. No one has been arrested or charged. Three complaints were filed, with each naming Harrison and two men described as his bodyguards. Jim Fulton, spokesman for the city prosecutor, said his office is awaiting the police reports to determine whether to ask for more investigation or pursue charges. Allegations are over an incident where four teenage boys wanted to take photographs of Harrison and asked him for autographs. According to the report, one of the boys said one of the men punched him in the jaw. Another claimed Harrison shoved one of the boys and placed a chokehold on him. (KFFL)
(~);}

(~);}
The Lung

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 61)

Postby Guttpuppy » Sat Feb 19, 2005 7:58 pm

The Lung wrote:Didn't want to start a new thread for just this

Big enough news for the offseason,I think I will.
Guttpuppy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Previous

Return to Football Talk