This crazy year season start showing the importance of RBs. - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

This crazy year season start showing the importance of RBs.

Moderator: Football Moderators

This crazy year season start showing the importance of RBs.

Postby DraftDodger » Fri Sep 20, 2002 9:54 pm

If you reached in the first or second round for a top flight QB or WR, you are probably wondering what in the name of Montana was going through your mind. Sure, the stud RBs have stumbled a bit, but the star receivers have fallen flat on their collective faces, and the middle-of-the-pack QB's are lighting things up.

I went with the stud running back theory and early on in the drafts went after the likes of Faulk, Green, George, McAllister, etc. I haven't been disappointed, as this past week my 5 fantasy teams all won their games. I've also had the pleasure of seeing the "leftover" QBs like Tom Brady lighting things up. In fact, a Tom Brady/New England defense roster is almost enough to win your matchups by themselves.

What I believe this shows is that you have to trust the Stud RB theory in fantasy football. There is very little depth at running back, and if you have mediocre backs they won't save the games where your WRs or QB falter. There is plenty of depth at WR and people are still scrambling this week to add the likes of Stallworth, Driver, and Walker to their rosters. There isn't enough roster room to hide all the decent WRs. Meanwhile, once you get past the occasional appearance of Moe Williams, most RB free agent pools are a combination of 3rd down receiving backs, starters losing their jobs, and guys you never have and probably never will hear of.

Did you mortgage the farm on the likes of Garcia, Warner, or Manning? If so, you're probably scratching your head and looking at the numbers being posted by Jay Fiedler, TOM BRADY, and Mark Brunell. What cruel twist of fate has Kelly Holcomb looking like an all-pro and Jeff Garcia looking like a deer in the headlights? <btw, if Holcomb is benched this weekend in favor of Couch, another injustice will be perpetrated on the football world>.

If you built your team around stud RBs, you are probably doing just fine right now, while the guys who bragged about getting Garcia or Owens in the first round are 0-2 and looking at their 3rd loss.
DraftDodger
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe Writer
Home Cafe: Football

Postby joe_montana » Fri Sep 20, 2002 10:29 pm

Amen Brother, amen. I have both Faulk and R. Williams, and I have scored more points than any of the other 11 teams 2 games in a row. Williams has been a beast, and Faulk is Faulk. I laugh as I look at guys like Hearst and Duce Staley in peoples starting lineup. I also have scored with the Patriots D, and I can tell you right now, with these three it is looking like I might never loose.
joe_montana
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Football

Return to Football Talk