Is this an ethical issue?? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Is this an ethical issue??

Moderator: Football Moderators

Is this an ethical issue??

Postby nutch crabbit » Fri Dec 10, 2004 3:25 pm

So I'm in last place in my fantasy league, and the best that I can hope for is to finish second to last. In a funny twist of fate, I'm playing the current second to last place team this week, and since we're both basically have no chances to win money or even prestige, we decided to make our own little side bet. This week we are only going to start our Kickers (lame, I know, but our seasons our over so we wanted to make things interesting), and the loser of this matchup will have to pay 1/2 of the winner's entry fee into the league. The loser of this game will also probably have 1st draft pick in our keeper league next year, and this is where there seems to be a bit of a problem.

Another team in the cellar with us is angry that we're basically throwing in the towel and now starting only Kickers. Since the final standings could be decided by points, we're setting ourselves up to get only a few points, allowing one of us to probably snake the first draft pick next year. The third, angry party, who is also in the running for that draft pick is kind of upset about this, because even if he loses, with a full team he's going to get more points than either of us and be out of the running for next year's first draft pick.

So what do you guys think? We're going ahead with it regardless of opinions, but I wanted to hear reactions (even from the guys who are going to rip on us and tell us that we're not serious fantasy players). We're in last place and this is pretty much our last chance (until next year) to have some fun in the league. Thanks.
nutch crabbit
Water Boy
Water Boy

Home Cafe: Football

Postby matmat » Fri Dec 10, 2004 3:33 pm

i think you should start a whole roster. now, if you choose mike cloud at RB and gus frerotte at QB, that's your prerogative -- but fill the roster.
How is my typing? Call 1-555-382-5968
Many posters could benefit from this.
matmat
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Bowie » Fri Dec 10, 2004 3:40 pm

Doesn't the side bet make things interesting enough? All you are accomplishing is making a bunch of NFL games meaningless on Sunday.
I am so smart. S-M-R-T
Bowie Beginner
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Keyser_WV » Fri Dec 10, 2004 3:41 pm

Punk ass move.

Your commisioner should not allow it. He should set your rosters for you.

Why wouldn't you just set your normal lineup and your bet could be just with the kickers with your friend and not impact the entire league.

This is collusion to get better draft picks. Don't try to mask it by saying you are trying to have some fun.

Seems like you are pretty childish to me.

If I was commisioner I would not allow either of you into the league next year.
Keyser_WV
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby BrutallyHuge » Fri Dec 10, 2004 3:44 pm

I would tell everyone you are not doing it, even your friend.

Then play people that won't play.

I would play:

QB: Kurt Warner
RB: Priest Holmes, Travis Henry
WR: Steve Smith, Charles Rogers
TE: who cares
K: your real kicker
DEF: Oakland
BrutallyHuge
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby SwiperNoSwiping » Fri Dec 10, 2004 4:07 pm

I wouldn't want you to do it. Play a normal lineup. It's stuff like that which makes the league not as fun to the other members. Some people I bet could care less, but I just wouldn't like it.
SwiperNoSwiping
Grillmaster
Grillmaster

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby killiansjmd » Fri Dec 10, 2004 4:15 pm

You both should start your best possible rosters. I would also be upset if I was that other team. You can keep the side bet to make it intersting.
Thanks to Metroid for the sig!
killiansjmd
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby shpuck » Fri Dec 10, 2004 6:04 pm

My first thought was a small fragment of Keyser's post.

I think you should play your roster as you normally would in order to not impact the league.

Then just use your kickers score in your bet with your friend. I think this is the fairest thing to do considering tanking this week will impact another player outside the bet. If there wasn't a third party involved, it wouldn't be an issue.

The other thing to consider is that some sites require you to set a full lineup (cbssportsline). If you don't your roster is illegal, and you'd be figuring the bet the same way you would if you started a normal roster and just counted the kicker point with your buddy.
shpuck
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Arlo » Fri Dec 10, 2004 6:47 pm

Agreed, start a full roster since it impacts other teams and the league as a whole. Run the side bet on the side (isn't that originally the point of a side bet? :-) ), and good luck winning half the entry fee! ;-D
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby nutch crabbit » Fri Dec 10, 2004 7:30 pm

I like your suggestions actually, and i'm going to suggest that we keep the side bet between the kickers. Affecting someone else isn't something I want to do, so I'll go full lineup. Oh, and Keyser_WV, dude, get the stick out of your ass and chill out. No worries, I would never play in a league in which you're the commish...
nutch crabbit
Water Boy
Water Boy

Next

Return to Football Talk