General Question - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

General Question

Moderator: Football Moderators

General Question

Postby giantstakeitall » Sat Dec 11, 2004 3:12 pm

Why are people so obsessed with running backs? People seem to think that other people are insane if they take a quarterback early in the draft, and yet my QB gets me more fantasy points than both of my RBs combined. Could someone please explain why it is that Running backs are more inportant than quarterbacks? :-?
Last edited by giantstakeitall on Sat Dec 11, 2004 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It may be grainy, or discolored even, but I like it!
giantstakeitall
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Eagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby joshyboy72 » Sat Dec 11, 2004 3:16 pm

My philosophy on this has always been that running backs sort of have more layers, tiers, etc. of scoring. For example, you have like LT, Priest, Shaun Alexander, Ahman then Deuce, Portis, Jamal Lewis level, then Julius Jones, Pittman, Tiki level, then Kevin Jones Fred Taylor level. But with QB's its like Manning, Cpep, and McNabb and then the rest are all almost on the same level. So by taking two running backs early you can still get a decent second level QB like Plummer, Pennington, Hasselbeck, etc.
joshyboy72
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 ChampionCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby VHawk15 » Sat Dec 11, 2004 3:20 pm

Well, the importance of RB's over QB's has definitely gone down this year with Manning and Culpepper's amazing years. But, you'll still see more RB's taken in the first round than QB's because of one main reason: position scarcity. There are many more quality QB's (and more on waivers) than RB's. Also, you got to look at the point difference. There is WAY more difference than the top 5 RB's and the 10th-15th best RB's than that same difference when you're talking about QB's.

Thus, while QB's score lots of points, you can get a QB of almost the same value in the 7th than a QB taken in the 2nd or 3rd. It's important to remember that in fantasy football, you aren't trying to score the most amount of points possible, you are tring to outscore your opponent.

But, like I said earlier, I think that philosophy will go down a little next year as you see QB's like Manning, McNabb and Culpepper possibly going in the first, as you saw players like Warner and Gannon taken in the past.
Last edited by VHawk15 on Sat Dec 11, 2004 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The more you can increase fear of drugs and crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all the people. -Noam Chomsky
VHawk15
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Blackjack ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby giantstakeitall » Sat Dec 11, 2004 3:21 pm

So you're basically saying that there are very few running backs that get significantly more points than all the rest. Whereas QBs tend to vary less, and a second rate QB isn't all that much worse that an elite one. That makes sense.
It may be grainy, or discolored even, but I like it!
giantstakeitall
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Eagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor

Postby P. Griffin » Sat Dec 11, 2004 3:27 pm

This year is a little different I think. The way Manning, Culpepper and maybe McNabb (after this week) are playing this year, they are all worthy of first round selection (Manning and C-Pep no question). However, as was stated above, the second tier of Qb's is huge where as the second tier of RBs isn't quite so big. I always take a RB first then see what is there on my next pick usually not taking a QB until the fourth or fifth round. Next year I might change my strategy a little bit. I beleive that the rule change for DB's (no contact after 5yds.) has dramatically helped the receivers get open and in turn QB's are putting up alot more points than in past years.
P. Griffin
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby matmat » Sat Dec 11, 2004 3:29 pm

I've given this some thought and have several answers:

1. in the past running backs have scored a lot more consistantly than other positions

2. a lot of scoring systems undervalue quarterbacks in one way or another

3. in the past the drop-off in fantasy point production from top RB to middling RB was much higher than the corresponding drop-off in QB, so it was more important to grab a stud RB early and get a second tier-ish QB later.

4. some people are under the false impression that if they don't get a stud RB core they can't win.

5. this is a somewhat of an abnormal year for the QBs. Manning is going nuts, mcnabb and cpepp aren't that far behind.

6. we see a thread on this topic about two to three times a week.
How is my typing? Call 1-555-382-5968
Many posters could benefit from this.
matmat
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Manja » Sat Dec 11, 2004 4:23 pm

There are 32 starting quarterbacks that don't share snaps. Every down runningbacks are declining, making them more valuable. And like the others said, runningbacks are usually more consistent.
Manja
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby SeaWolf » Sat Dec 11, 2004 4:45 pm

If you start 2 RBs, use the first two picks for RB approach, if you only start 1 RB, then I always take the best player available.
Sporting events are family events. If you can't watch your language for 3 hours then stay home.
SeaWolf
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicEagle EyeTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby irishclown » Sat Dec 11, 2004 5:09 pm

It also depends on your draft order. This year i was #7, which meant I didn't get a top 5 rb. My best option was Edge, or J. Lewis, so I opted for Culpepper, thinking that I wouldn't see him or Manning on the way back to my second pick. (wish I took peyton now, obviously!!) but the funny thing is, Edge was still there for my second pick, so it worked out for me, basically stole C-pepp, since my best choice (at the time) was Edge. I have never drafted so low before, but I think I like the #7 position better than a #3 or #4. i wouldn't want to pick first next year, too much of a chance for a BUST!!
irishclown
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby deluxe_247 » Sat Dec 11, 2004 6:54 pm

in my leagues we only start 1 qb and 2 rbs....add that with the facts that the number of teams that dont use RBBC are declining and the fact that rbs generally are more consistent at scoring you the biggest amount of points. i try to draft my rbs in the first and second...possibly even the third depending whats available. there are always a number of productive qbs that you can get late. in my sitaution i took aaron brooks in the 8th round...and picked up drew brees off the WW...my rbs shaun alexander and curtis martin(jamal lewis was a keeper :-t ) have carried my team tho, and i am in first place using that strategy. also, all of the guys in my league are crazy on rbs, so they go in a hurry, so if you chance taking a qb early, you might not even get a shot a back who doesnt get vultured or split time. i agree..if you can snag manning, mcnabb or c-pep early, id do it (probly not in the first 5 overall picks) but if they are gone...ill wait til later because there is such a dropoff in production after the first 3 that it really doesnt make that big of a difference.
deluxe_247
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerBig Sig ChampionMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Next

Return to Football Talk