Team benched entire team... what gives? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Team benched entire team... what gives?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Team benched entire team... what gives?

Postby Charlie24 » Sun Dec 12, 2004 9:47 am

I'm in third place in my league and today i'm supposed to play against the guy in first place... We already played this year and he beat me so this was going to be the rematch... But he benched his entire team and I dont understand why... This is the last week of the season prior to the playoffs and if I beat him he falls to third and I could go as high as first place but probably second... Anyone can try to explain why he would bench his team? 'cause it has no logic to me
Charlie24
Head Coach
Head Coach

Eagle Eye
Home Cafe: Football

Postby goleafsgo96 » Sun Dec 12, 2004 10:06 am

Wheres the dude wtih Peyton Manning? If its not him maybe hes trying to avoid him and/or face him when he plays the Ravens?.... :-?
Chris Leak-QB-Florida Gators
goleafsgo96
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Patsy Player » Sun Dec 12, 2004 10:06 am

Well I know this may be foolish but sometimes people don't want to go in as the number one seed for the playoffs. In the leagues that I have played in the number one seed has never won it all.....my coomish is in first and was contemplating tanking the last couple of weeks to go in as a number 2 or 3. Foolish I know, but superstition sometimes cause weird things like this to happen.

He might also be doing this so you won't know who he is starting until gametime...I have done this before with a tight matchup, and an owner who tired to counter every move you did.

Either take it as superstition or take it as a complement.
Patsy Player
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Challie » Sun Dec 12, 2004 10:55 am

Agreed. I'm thinking of tanking to go down to 4th (4-team playoffs in my league) with hopes to face the team with Manning in Week 15 (vs. Bal) instead of Week 16. I'm the only team with a likely shot at being them.

I'm not going this route - just going to field my best team instead and let the chips fall where they may. That strategy could backfire, and I'd like to finish at least in 2nd.
... in my opinion, of course - but that should always go without saying.
www.bigfellas.net (home of the golf rap "On The Green")
Challie
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Favre.com » Sun Dec 12, 2004 12:14 pm

I'm assuming its not a keeper or dynasty, otherwise he wants a higher draft pick next year.
Zito is God in the Baseball Cafe
Favre.com
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

(Past Year: 16)

Postby deluxe_247 » Mon Dec 13, 2004 12:35 am

all these reasons listed are possible. usually when it happens that ive seen it is due to someone not wanting to be matched up against a certain person (ie peyton) or someone with solid matchups the first week of playoffs. i think its kind of a weak strategy, i feel like you should always try..and when you do things like that it can cause people to miss the playoffs or make the playoffs that otherwise wouldnt. bad charma.
deluxe_247
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerBig Sig ChampionMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Azrael » Mon Dec 13, 2004 1:11 am

That's not a good idea to tank just because of one matchup. Manning could very well throw 5 on Baltimore. Heck, Palmer threw 3 or 4 right?
Azrael
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 7)

Postby tman570 » Mon Dec 13, 2004 1:00 pm

I like to put my lineup in early that way its set and I dont have to worry about it. What if you waited til sunday morning and had a cpu/internet problem? Not worth the risk.
tman570
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby LBJackal » Mon Dec 13, 2004 1:31 pm

Azrael wrote:That's not a good idea to tank just because of one matchup. Manning could very well throw 5 on Baltimore. Heck, Palmer threw 3 or 4 right?

Well Manning COULD do better against B'More, but that's unlikely. You'd have better chances facing him when he's against B'More. And if you have the only team that could beat his, it might not be a bad idea as long as it's within the rules to purposely finish your team in a spot that you'd face him when you want to.
"This country was built on immigrants. We need them. Without them, who would train our tigers and kick our extra points?"

-Homer Simpson
LBJackal
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby BigMusky » Mon Dec 13, 2004 1:40 pm

that happened in my league last year...the first place team tanked the game to let a weaker team in the playoffs. Maybe you should take this as an insult because he wants you in the playoffs.
BigMusky
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Return to Football Talk