Houstons Passing Game..... - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Houstons Passing Game.....

Moderator: Football Moderators

Houstons Passing Game.....

Postby quickm0ng00se » Sun Dec 12, 2004 2:45 pm

So as I sit here watching the live stat tracker, I got to thinking. Houstons passing game hasn't been living up to expectations this year. (Or has it? Feel free to correct me.) Any opinions as to why? I haven't been able to see any of the games myself, so I don't know where the problem is. Is it still Carr just growing into the NFL? (12 Tds / 11 Ints) Or is the O-Line not protecting him enough? Sometimes play calling can be a factor. I know his WRs are young. (3rd year pro for Gaffney, 2nd year pro for both Johnson and Armstrong.) Is it just growing pains for a fairly young offense in general?

I have A.Johnson in my keeper league, and while he has been getting the yards, (1018 so far...) he hasn't been getting the TDs, (5 as of week 13). Will Carrs TD production increase, increasing Johnsons by default? Or does Houston need to change some things around a bit.

Any input / oppinions are appreciated. Just trying to get some discussion going.

Thanks,

T
quickm0ng00se
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Azrael » Mon Dec 13, 2004 1:15 am

I think you are going to get inconsistency from Johnson the rest of the year. They were content to pound the crap out of D. Davis (like he's that durable to begin with) and throw little dumps and screens to him. I watched the game and Houston didn't try to go over the top 1 time all game to him. I don't even think he got a look until the second half.

I've got no explanation for their play calling or what Carr is looking at from game to game. One week they feed him all game, the next they don't even look at him.
Azrael
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 7)

Postby quickm0ng00se » Mon Dec 13, 2004 1:49 pm

like he's that durable to begin with

Yeah no kidding. :)

I don't even think he got a look until the second half.

For the first half I thought maybe Johnson wasn't playing. Watching the stat-tracker, Carr threw one incomplete pass to Johnson early, then I didn't see another one go his way until the second half like you said.

I'm just curious why with a receiver like Johnson, some refer to him as the next TO, Houston isn't throwing downfield more? I can only see a limited number of factors that could be responsible.

1)The play calling. The staff just seems content to play the short game like you said. Little dump passes to the RBs. Of course this could be influenced by #'s 2-4...

2)The offensive line. The O-Line isn't giving Carr and the WRs enough protection/time to do what they need to do.

3)The quarterback. Carr isn't making good reads. Or maybe he makes good reads, but bad throws. So the staff keeps it safe and simple.

4)The wide receiver. Johnson just isn't able to get open. Maybe he isn't that good. I tend to think this one is the least likely, because when they do decide to throw to him, he catches the ball. Besides look at his numbers. 71 catches for 1052 yards.

T
quickm0ng00se
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby Kensat30 » Mon Dec 13, 2004 5:53 pm

It's pretty simple. The Texan's are not that good of a team. Expect inconsistency on both sides of the ball.
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Writer

Postby gatorman1122 » Mon Dec 13, 2004 5:53 pm

4)The wide receiver. Johnson just isn't able to get open. Maybe he isn't that good. I tend to think this one is the least likely, because when they do decide to throw to him, he catches the ball. Besides look at his numbers. 71 catches for 1052 yards.

This can be very true since the Texans don't have a reliable no. 2 receiver. Teams will just constantly double team Andre every single play since he's pretty much the only good receiver on the team (with the exception of DD of course)
gatorman1122
Head Coach
Head Coach

Return to Football Talk