I have a FF ethical question. - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

I have a FF ethical question.

Moderator: Football Moderators

I have a FF ethical question.

Postby bacchuspupff » Mon Dec 13, 2004 9:04 am

Okay, I won't get into the details, but the way things worked out yesterday, I had a decision to make last night. If I play McNabb, I would win my game. This would allow the guy in my league who has Payton Manning and some other good players to finish fourth, and I'd play him next week in the first round of the playoffs. He had some injuries early in the season, but now has probably the best team in our league.

If I sit McNabb and intentionally lose my game, I would finish third and still be in the playoffs. The guy with Manning would be out, and I'd play a guy next week who got lucky early in the season, but who now has the worst team going into the playoffs.

So I sat McNabb and intentionally lost my game. The guy who got knocked out is angry as hell. I have no deal whatsoever with the guy who got let into the playoffs due to my move - it was purely a strategic decision based upon my playoff matches.

Do y'all think that intentionally losing for strategic purposes is foul play, or just another move?
bacchuspupff
Water Boy
Water Boy

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Keyser_WV » Mon Dec 13, 2004 9:24 am

As long as you submitted a valid lineup I see no problems with that.

If you left the QB spot vacant that would be wrong.

You may anger the Fantasy Football gods by intentionally losing though.

Did you at least start another QB?
Keyser_WV
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby Arlo » Mon Dec 13, 2004 9:24 am

It varies from league to league. In my own, intentionally throwing a game is a no-no, especially if it keeps another team out of the playoffs, but other leagues consider it a valid strategy.

All I can say is that to avoid situations like this, it's important to establish guidelines for situations like this before the season starts. That obviously won't help you now, but I'm afraid there's no clear right or wrong answer to this question that everyone will agree with.
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Bowie » Mon Dec 13, 2004 9:26 am

It is a bit shady, and depending on your league you could have some problems. As far as I am concerned, this is just solid strategy. I am sure, however, that you will get quite a few negative responses from other members here.
I am so smart. S-M-R-T
Bowie Beginner
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby bacchuspupff » Mon Dec 13, 2004 9:27 am

I didn't start any other QB. Just like I said, I pulled McNabb at the last minute when I saw what the matchups looked like.
bacchuspupff
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby bacchuspupff » Mon Dec 13, 2004 10:25 am

I'm probably going to put what I did to a vote of disinterested players in my league, but I did want to get as many opinions from outsiders as I could. Keep in mind, this is not a case where I tanked my game just to get a friend into the playoffs - I don't even know the guys who are affected. I made a strategic decision as to who I wanted to face in the playoffs - and I announced that I might do it beforehand. Neither the league manager nor the player who's bitching about it now responded when I said what I might do.
bacchuspupff
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby Mercer Boy » Mon Dec 13, 2004 10:33 am

Due to my personal feelings of fantasy football and playing games in general, I have to say this is wrong. Professional sports teams should not throw games or attempt to shave points from games (for betting purposes) - I sincerely hope they don't anyway. Fantasy sports teams should not do this either. I understand the ultimate goal is to win the final game, but your weekly goal is to win the matchup you are in. I have said it before and brought it up before, but doing something like this to me violates this rule:

No owner will take any action whose purpose is to, in any way, interfere with fair play in a league.

Essentially, you deliberately caused an unfair playing field for your opponent causing other players to lose their chance at making the playoffs. I don't blame the other guy at all for being mad, but I assume there's nothing you can do about it now.

An owner I didn't want to face will get the #4 seed in my league, and I am the #1 seed (due to playing to win this week's game). I just have to hope my team wins this week because I was going to face him eventually anyway. To be the best, you should have to beat the best.
The One, the Only, the Incomparable Mercer Boy.
My My YouTube.
Mercer Boy
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby bacchuspupff » Mon Dec 13, 2004 10:40 am

No, we can do something about it. The league manager can go in and override my points scored - he can essentially give me as many points as I would have had if I had played McNabb.
bacchuspupff
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby Battlecreek Dragon » Mon Dec 13, 2004 11:06 am

I had a somewhat similar situation last week in a league of all friends. This makes my issue a little different, but the principles are the same.

I was facing a team that needed just one more win to be in the playoffs. It was between him and the Peyton Manning owner for the last spot. Privately I wanted to lose the game so as to not face the Manning team in the first week of the playoffs. (I was already in first with a 2 game lead.) However, I did not intentionally throw the game because of the issue of fairness.

It would simply not have been fair to the other teams in the league for me to not play hard against one team when I played hard against everyone else. And, the guy who might have gotten into the playoffs would not really be happy knowing he maybe didn't really deserve to be there.

I can see the other side of the argument, but for me, I would rather win because my team is good enough to beat anyone. As Mercer Boy put it, I want to win the title knowing I beat the two other best teams in the league, besides mine.
Battlecreek Dragon
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby BurnerD » Mon Dec 13, 2004 11:38 am

Every effort should be made to win every game you compete in... period. Maybe some people see this as an acceptable move on your part, but I would feel guilty as hell if I did it.
Reporter: "There's no I in team"

Leon: "Yeah, well there aint no we either"

TRUE
BurnerD
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Next

Return to Football Talk