I have a FF ethical question. - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

I have a FF ethical question.

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby bgnh1 » Sun Dec 19, 2004 9:57 pm

Many valid points. I agree that kicking you out was harsh. That sucks, and tells me that you are playing with a bunch of money gubbers WORSE than what they accused you of doing. So regardless, I think you reclaim the higher moral ground...

We don't have these problems every year in my leauge. You have to remove the MOTIVATION to tank a game. Like I said, first place overall gets to decide which of the other three playoff teams he wants to play; everyone was shooting for first right 'til the end, to get the chance to knock off the guy who had bad matchups/injury problems going into the playoffs. ( He lost in the first round.) Likewise, the guy who finished first didn't want to play me ( the #3 seed ), 'cause as you can see from the lineup below, I would have crushed him. So that works pretty well for us...

"Ah-ha" you say, "but the original posting wasn't about the playoffs." True. So what we also do is this: Top score during the regular season gets 5% of the pot, regardless of where they finish. This keeps people playing right to the end. (In fact, the guy who won that bonus did so in week 12, and finished 4-10. But he stuck with it, and now he's happier for it.)

Add the rule that "you must start a complete lineup every week,
or the commish will fill in the blank spot using the most recent player used", and you've pretty much got it covered.

Better luck next time-- hope you find some folks who aren't jerks to play with next year!
qb GREEN volek collins
rb CMART* PORTIS* ctaylor cbrown*
wr RMOSS* WAYNE BENNETT* boldin morton
te GATES* crumpler*
k LONGWELL wilkins*
d WASHINGTON baltimore*
(STARTERS/bench) 8-team leauge
*drafted
bgnh1
Water Boy
Water Boy

Home Cafe: Football

Postby LT Blue Colt » Sun Dec 19, 2004 11:19 pm

Well here's the only way I can look at it.

You've been dating this wonderful girl for about 2 weeks now. She's beautiful, funny, and loves talking football. It's a really great weekend, all your friends are home, hers and yours, and you're all planning on going out.

So you all meet up and go to your favorite bar. Where everyone knows your name. And a really good local band is playing. So you're all dancing and having a good time. You friends all look like they're hooking up pretty good and are going to have a good time later. HeHeHe.

But, something pretty unexpected happens. Ray Lewis shows up, and is pretty pissed to see you dancing with his ex. He really loved her. She gave him all the tips. And he wants to show her how much he still loves her by stomping your guts out. I don't know, I guess some chicks dig that. But, this chick doesn't. She don't care she loves you now, but Ray won't give up. He grabs your ass and drags you outside. Now you know you ain't got much of a choice. Either you get the B-Jesus knocked outta you, or you win. Somehow?

Well while you're still pondering who, what where, when, whack!!! A quick jab knocks you on your bum, and one of your favorite teeth accidently finds its harsh way abbruptly down your throat. The light is green. This is the nitty gritty. No turning back. The strong must survive. With what focus you have, you get up and must find a way to win. So, with a lucky dodge of a big finishing hook from RL's right, you drop to a knee and give him a good 'ol punch, grap, and twist to the junk. As his pills swell profoundly and he drops to the ground, you put your foot on his chest, give him a few slaps to the face and tell him not to forget your name. Jumping for joy, your girl, friends, and you go back to having a good time and can only imagine Ray will never give you troubles again. What ever it takes to win, right? The End. :-)

Oh, and Ray, if you're on this site anywhere, this is totally a fictional story used solely for the purpose of providing a strange yet powerful point. :-o
LT Blue Colt
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby work4beerz » Mon Dec 20, 2004 12:48 am

But remember those on roid have atrophied their jewels. You would probably just grab cloth. Then he would kick your @$$ for even thinking of that. :-o
work4beerz
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby nxt777 » Mon Dec 20, 2004 1:14 am

As a team owner you are suppose to do what helps your team the most. But you should always feild a complete lineup. It doesn't matter if it's McNabb or A.J Feely someone needs to be starting at every position. If someone is starting at QB I would have no proplems with you benching McNabb to help your team in the long run. Zero's should not be accepted.
nxt777
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby steelcurtain » Mon Dec 20, 2004 9:38 am

I think that was awesome strategy. Only thing is though, I would have started an inferior QB instead of leaving the position blank.

And for all those posters saying we should start our best players regardless of the circumstances every week. Also tell that to the Eagles when they rest their starters for week 16 and 17.
steelcurtain
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Cafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby scubasteve_ffc » Mon Dec 20, 2004 11:32 am

I think its a perfectly fine strategy. Doesn't matter now tho I guess...
scubasteve_ffc
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby chcbb » Mon Dec 20, 2004 11:40 am

work4beerz wrote:Here is a thought. Do teams in the NFL ever let another team score in order to get the ball back.
That is tanking it. Shouldn't they play hard every down and not give up points.
They might not win, but they feel that the matchup between their offense and the opposing teams defense is better than their defense and the other teams offense.

Remember last year when the Patriots gave up a safety to the Broncos to get better field position... The ended up winning the game, and I don't think the Bronco's ever accused them of cheating; because the weren't. It's just strategy, and especially in terms of fantasy football I think the strategy you used to give yourself a better chance to win was perfectly legit. It's not really the same situation but I though it was worth mentioning. Oh well.
chcbb
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Previous

Return to Football Talk