A moron’s diary of the Lions preseason, idle rambling! - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Detroit Lions

A moron’s diary of the Lions preseason, idle rambling!

Moderator: Football Moderators

A moron’s diary of the Lions preseason, idle rambling!

Postby moochman » Tue Aug 12, 2003 12:57 am

A few things noticed after x-game 1.
First, they suffered no significant injuries. The Lions D actually didn’t suck! They looked much faster and focused than in recent years. An improvement in D is vital if they are to see any tangible results this year. Their secondary still looks shaky, and I think they are going to have a big play defense, with sacks or long pass completions being common. They played without their over-paid free agent corner who may solidify the secondary somewhat. Also not seeing action were their top 3 receivers, Hakim, Rogers, and TE Ricks. All look to play in the next game. QB play is going to tell the tale this season, as it does for most clubs. Both Harrington and McMahon were erratic as has been the norm so far in their pro careers. Harrington will have the chance to show his wares, I just hope it’s not his Wares as in defunct QB Andre Ware! I look for the WR core to be much improved this year leading to a great improvement in QB rating for Harrington. Hakim is supposed to be healed and he was just starting to get it going when he was hurt last year. Rogers, with his great speed and hands, has all the skills to not only be a big part of the O, but should open things up for everyone else.
J. Stew, who could have his best year ever in Mooch’s offense, will lead the running game. He caught 46 passes last year and should he stay healthy should surpass that along with gaining over 1,000 yds. Luke Staley has been impressive in camp and had a nice game against Steelers scrubs. He will probably have the first shot at 2nd rb, if he stays healthy, a real reach for him. I look for my Lions to surprise this year and win 7 games, and no I’m not counting preseason games in that total!
Lions fantasy stars: none this is the Lions, after all!
Lions sleepers: J. Stew, Rogers, and Hakim (though a sound sleeper, may not wake up!).

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby yoda83 » Tue Aug 12, 2003 12:11 pm

my roommate is looking for them to take the north this year. and it's not like he's a fan or anything, he's just getting that vibe again. i believe the last two times he's come this strong w/ a prediction, he called the panthers' breakout season and then the falcons' super bowl run.
yoda83
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby fntsyrookie » Tue Aug 12, 2003 4:16 pm

Detroit will finish dead last, and Millen will finally get the axe. You heard it hear first. :-)
fntsyrookie
General Manager
General Manager

Innovative MemberPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby moochman » Tue Aug 12, 2003 6:46 pm

That’s much more encouraging than the facts! Thanks Yoda, I hope your roommate is on the mark, but I think you may want to check what he is putting in his Cheerios! My most optimistic hopes are for 7-8 wins, though I fear that fantsyrookie may be closer to the truth. Da Bears falling on their face will keep the Leos out of last. And rookie, take no pride in saying it first to most the Lions finishing last is an unspoken truth!
:,-(

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby yoda83 » Wed Aug 13, 2003 7:16 am

yeah, there've been times i wanted to check his cheerios. but every time, i dismiss his detroit prediction, i obviously have to choose a division winner. and that just isnt easy. i dont think green bay is the lock most people are making them out to be. and their injury issues arent helping the situation. i could see a scenario where minnesota takes the division with detroit coming in second, vying for a playoff spot w/ 7, 8 even 9 wins. the north is that shaky this year.
yoda83
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Return to Detroit Lions