Larry Johnson - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Larry Johnson

Moderator: Football Moderators

Larry Johnson

Postby d_will » Tue Dec 14, 2004 9:49 pm

Is KC going to get rid of Larry Johnson?...Does Larry have a chance of starting on a new team next year?...How many more years does Larry have in KC?
d_will
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Guttpuppy » Tue Dec 14, 2004 10:34 pm

I think they keep him around,he has proven himself a bit in the last few weeks and Priest Holmes isn't getting any younger.
Guttpuppy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby d_will » Tue Dec 14, 2004 10:37 pm

But they have Blaylock who Vermeil tends to like more
d_will
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Postby Guttpuppy » Tue Dec 14, 2004 10:46 pm

d_will wrote:But they have Blaylock who Vermeil tends to like more

He doesn't like him more this week,LJ is slated for a possible start.

Doug Tucker, AP - Larry Johnson is going from the doghouse to the starting lineup. The second-year running back, who didn't even suit up the first few games and has publicly clashed with coaches, will likely start Sunday when Kansas City (5-8) hosts Denver, coach Dick Vermeil said Tuesday.

With Holmes situation I say they keep both guys around and if LJ plays well the rest of the way,Vermeil may have a change of heart as to who Holmes' primary back-up will be...did you happen to see the HC hugging Larry last night?
Guttpuppy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Rat Pack » Tue Dec 14, 2004 11:14 pm

I think Larry will be the backup next year, cuz blaylock is a free agent after the season and they're gonna let him go. They can't afford to pay for 3 good RBs.
"Here's the thing: if you can't spot the sucker in your first half hour at the table, you are the sucker."- Rounders
Rat Pack
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Sweet 16 Survivor

Postby Azrael » Tue Dec 14, 2004 11:25 pm

Larry has made more big plays over the last couple weeks. He's not the typical Vermeil back but it's probably cheaper for them to keep Johnson around. I can't see them holding onto 3 backs like those guys. They need to spend as much money as they can on defense...or maybe they just need a new defensive coordinator. That was crazy that they thought all they needed to do was change coordinators.
Azrael
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 7)

Postby Kensat30 » Wed Dec 15, 2004 12:06 am

Yeah, Kansas City made some bad choices in the offseason. I mean look at their linebacking core, their starting middle linebacker would be a special teams player on most other squads....

Blaylock is nothing more than a change of pace back IMO, and we should see more of Larry Johnson as the season comes to a close. He was a first round draft choice after all, you gotta let him see the field eventually. Especially considering the Priest could be on his last legs and has openly contemplated retirement.
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Writer

Postby The Black Hole » Wed Dec 15, 2004 1:42 am

Alot of people like to say things like "Priest on his last legs" etc.

Wat we saw this year from Holmes is that he, in combination with KC's line, was as dominant as ever. His injury certainly wasnt one caused by old age, and really, hes not that old of a player.

Next year, Priest will be the starter, and it wont matter who out of Blaylock or Johnson has stuck with the team.

As for those two, saying Johnson has shown more makes no sense either. Look at the year to date. Both have had impressive and not so impressive performances, but on a whole, both have looked like very capable backups.
-- The Autumn wind is a Raider --
-- Pillaging just for fun --
-- He'll knock you 'round and upside down --
-- And laugh when he's conquered and won --
The Black Hole
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby deluxe_247 » Wed Dec 15, 2004 1:57 am

blaylock most likely will be gone this offseason...and i wouldnt be so quick to count on priest for any extended amount of time. i know that he announced he would be back, but he has been talking about retiring for awhile now, and about how hard it is for him to get out bed every moring now because his body is getting beat up. with this injury...who knows?? johnson looked like the red-headed step child earlier this year, but seems to have done a 180...looking pretty good now :-D
deluxe_247
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerBig Sig ChampionMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby KingGhidra » Wed Dec 15, 2004 2:33 am

Blaylock is a FA and LJ costs $620K in base salary in 2005 (although I THINK it has escalator clauses). That's a pretty cheap RB, especially if he is the starter. Blaylock will want to collect a decent pay check and I doubt KCC wants to pay for 3 RBs when they need defensive help.
KingGhidra
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Next

Return to Football Talk