Larry Johnson - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Larry Johnson

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby The Lung » Wed Dec 15, 2004 11:35 am

Judging by Vermeil's press conference, it looks like Larry Johnson will get the start against Denver. It was also reported on Yahoo/Fanball:

Dec 15 Head coach Dick Vermeil announced on Tuesday that running back Larry Johnson will get his first career start this week when the Chiefs host the Broncos. Johnson brought the Chiefs back from a second half deficit against the Titans on Monday, rushing for 104 yards and two touchdowns on only seven carries. He will replace interim starter Derrick Blaylock, who sustained a mild medial collateral strain in his left knee, but Vermeil suggested that Johnson would likely have gotten the nod anyway. "Based on that performance, you'd really have to evaluate it," he told the Kansas City Star.
Views: Blaylock underwent an MRI on Tuesday, and Vermeil is hopeful that Derrick will be able to serve as Johnson's backup in week 15. However, the message is clear, and fantasy owners should expect Johnson to carry the load against Denver. Although this clears up the Chiefs' backfield for the first time since Priest Holmes sustained his season-ending injury, fantasy owners should note that the Broncos' road run defense has allowed only 85 yards per game (second in the NFL) and just three rushing scores in six road games.
(~);}

(~);}
The Lung

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 72)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Ricky_Christ » Wed Dec 15, 2004 1:43 pm

I wonder how Johnson will do against the Denver D...
Praise Ricky!
Ricky_Christ
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby nsulham » Wed Dec 15, 2004 1:45 pm

Ricky_Christ wrote:I wonder how Johnson will do against the Denver D...

Wondering the same. With the playoffs on the line, is anyone comfortable starting him? :-o
New England Patriots
The 53-man Dynasty
nsulham
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Mock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby The Lung » Wed Dec 15, 2004 2:58 pm

I'm starting him in the only league in which he was available, in a flex spot, and only because my other options aren't any better. (Stephen Jackson, Chris Brown, Marcus Robinson, Antonio Bryant)
The Lung

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 72)

Postby Kensat30 » Wed Dec 15, 2004 3:12 pm

This post from a different messageboard puts together some good points, indicating that the Chiefs have a good chance at pulling an upset of the Broncos this week. Don't be mistaken, the Chief's have no problem giving their RBs 30 carries in a close game no matter how good their opponent is on paper. Thus, with anywhere between 15-25 carries I think Larry Johnson makes a pretty decent start, especially considering Blaylock has been banged up. Another 3 TDs for KC RBs in this one...

DEN is 13-28 all time playing at KC, and Shanahan is 2-7 in the regular season visiting KC as a HC.

Wait. It gets more interesting. DEN is 1-13 all time in December at KC, with their only W being a 20-17 OT victory in 1994. Shanahan is 0-3 at KC in December, losing 26-23 in OT in 2001, losing 20-7 in 2000, and losing 20-17 in 1995.

Plummer is struggling mightily as a QB in his past 3 games, throwing 1 TD vs 7 INTs, completing less than half his passes, and compiling a remarkably miserable 48.77 QB rating.

Droughns is coming back to the pack after his great start and Bell is hurt - looking like he won't play, which really limits DEN's run options.

DEN got called out by loudmouthed player-turned-sportcaster Shannon Sharpe for being overpaid & underacheiving nationally after falling on thier faces in consecutive weeks against OAK & SD and responded by scraping out a 3 point W at home against the lowly 'Fins on a late 50 yd FG by Elam.

In short, it looks like the wheels are coming off the cart for DEN right now, and they are headed into their own personal December torture chamber this week.

In the meantime, KC has discovered that Larry Johnson actually can play pretty darn good football despite Vermeil's inexplicable calling out a while back with his ridiculously stupid diaper remark. Johnson has posted 5 TDs in the past 3 games - which is 1 more TD than Droughns has amassed all season.

Johnson's emergence allows some room to get free for vet WRs Morton & Kennison, who have accounted for 4 TDs in the past 3 weeks, and for TE Gonzales.

The Chiefs have put up 31, 34, & 49 pts in the past 3 consecutive weeks in winning 2 of 3, with the only loss a 3 point squeeker by SD.
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Writer

Postby devius » Wed Dec 15, 2004 4:22 pm

didnt KC have 3 rushing TD's against SD which had the best rush D at the time?
QB Carson Palmer*, Jake Plummer
RB Deuce McAllister*, Corey Dillion*, Warrick Dunn, Willie Parker*, Michael Bennett
WR Torry Holt*, Michael Clayton*, Chris Chambers, Eddie Kennison, Charles Rogers*,
TE Tony Gonzalez*
K Ryan Longwell*
DEF MatchUps
devius
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby ljthockey » Wed Dec 15, 2004 5:28 pm

devius wrote:didnt KC have 3 rushing TD's against SD which had the best rush D at the time?

If i remember correctly they ran for 8 touchdowns agaisnt Atlanta which was the number 1 rush d at that time to.
[b][color=red]You have just read a Ljthockey© post[/color][/b]

ljthockey
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor

Postby deluxe_247 » Wed Dec 15, 2004 7:15 pm

ljthockey wrote:
devius wrote:didnt KC have 3 rushing TD's against SD which had the best rush D at the time?

If i remember correctly they ran for 8 touchdowns agaisnt Atlanta which was the number 1 rush d at that time to.

you do remember that correctly. i remember that too because i was matched up against priest that week :~(
deluxe_247
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerBig Sig ChampionMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby devius » Wed Dec 15, 2004 7:23 pm

deluxe_247 wrote:
ljthockey wrote:

you do remember that correctly. i remember that too because i was matched up against priest that week :~(

so i think i can start LJ with confidence :)
QB Carson Palmer*, Jake Plummer
RB Deuce McAllister*, Corey Dillion*, Warrick Dunn, Willie Parker*, Michael Bennett
WR Torry Holt*, Michael Clayton*, Chris Chambers, Eddie Kennison, Charles Rogers*,
TE Tony Gonzalez*
K Ryan Longwell*
DEF MatchUps
devius
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Ricky_Christ » Wed Dec 15, 2004 11:28 pm

The game is in KC. I'd be much more worried if they were playing in Denver. I'm starting LJ as my #3 this week, and I couldn't be happier about it. ;-D
Praise Ricky!
Ricky_Christ
Head Coach
Head Coach

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk