Anyone Ever Do a Combo Auction/Draft? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Anyone Ever Do a Combo Auction/Draft?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Anyone Ever Do a Combo Auction/Draft?

Postby skillet » Tue Aug 12, 2003 12:30 pm

My league is considering doing a combination auction and draft this year.

We will do the auction format for the first four rounds so that everyone has a chance at the best players, then draft the remaining 12 rounds.

The player with the most money left after the auction will draft the first pick of the 5th round.

I'm looking for feedback on any issues you have run into using this method. It would be great if anyone has a set of rules that we could copy for this format.

One of the current questions on the table is:
1. Can each team win the bidding on as many (or as few) players as they want during the auction, or should we make each team only be allowed to have 4 players before the drafting starts?
skillet
Monday Morning Quarterback

Home Cafe: Football

Postby joester » Tue Aug 12, 2003 1:03 pm

Well I doubt many people have done this before. But I would reccomend giving like each team 40 dollars to get 4 players. And only allow them to get 4 players. By teh way it sounds like a pretty sweet drafting method
joester
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 Survivor

Postby springfield atoms » Tue Aug 12, 2003 3:38 pm

i would try it this way.

establish a cap. if you have 16 players i say that you go with maybe $50.

have your auction. allow each team to spend up to say, $38 on four players with a MINIMUM bid of $1 in increments of $1. that means the most any player can go for is $35.

After the auction is complete, you have a secondary draft as such. it sounds complicated, but is rather easy

figure out who has the most 'cap room' left. at $1 to the greatest amount of cap room (say is was $7, so add a buck, its $8)

1. set a draft order by random lot.
2. the first round of the draft is in order at the price of the greatest amount of cap room plus $1.

using the example above, this would be the $ eight round.

going in the draft order, allow any team that has $8 left on its cap to select a player. once no team can or wants to select an $8 player (teams can pass), then move down to the $7 round and repeat.

every time a team makes a selection, they move down in the draft order.

teams can make multiple picks in a round as long as they have the cap room.

do this until you get to the $1 round, and then move to a serpentine order. continue drafting till you fill out the roster.

our league has never used this system, but the latter part of it was an idea that we had at one point. we just use a straight auction.

we are a keeper league, and i like our franchise system. you can keep a guy for what you win him at for three years, and then after that you either have to give him the average of the top so many players (6-8-10) at his position or return him to the pool.
geaux atoms!
homer jay simpson
springfield football atoms
springfield atoms
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby FbGuy » Wed Aug 13, 2003 4:03 pm

I did this for the first time last year. Each owner has $100 for the first three rounds, then the fourth round starts with the teams with the most leftover money.

Each team must have three players by the end of the auction. The auction starts with a pre-determined "draft order", and each team nominates a player to be put on the auction block. Every team participates on the bidding, but once you take a pass on a player, you can NOT re-enter the bidding for that player.

Last year, I tried to get budget talent (Eddie George, Randy Moss, and Stephen Davis) with some cash left over, and I failed miserably. This year, I'll likely pony up the big cash for a top stud, and worry about the cash later.

Some steals last year included -

Culpepper - $2
Vick - $1
Torry Holt - $1
Priest Holmes - $32 (Faulk cost somewhere in the mid-80s).

If you're got a nice #1 pick, and have a chance of getting a high 4th round pick, you may want to let everyone finish their three picks, then swoop in and grab one or two gems for $1 each.
FbGuy

Friendliness: %

Postby skillet » Thu Aug 14, 2003 8:25 am

FbGuy,

How did you ensure that each team had only 3 players after three rounds of the auction? What if the guy who is last in the order already has won 3 bidding wars by the time he is supposed to put a player on the auctioning block?

Also, for the draft, did you go 1, 2, 3, ..., 12 in round 4; and 12, 11, 10, ..., 1 in round 5? Or did you keep it going 1, 2, 3... every round? That adds some incentive to have money left over.

If you have any rules for the auction/draft combo documented, I'd love to see them.

skillet
skillet
Monday Morning Quarterback

Return to Football Talk