youth coaching and the offseason ? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

youth coaching and the offseason ?

Moderator: Football Moderators

youth coaching and the offseason ?

Postby houstonherdfan » Wed Dec 15, 2004 10:50 pm

I have coached flag football for the last 2 years. I have a good core of my team coming back next year (5 players). However, I have lost my QB. I have one boy coming back that has a very acurate arm but only can throw about 15-20 yards. When you look at the patterns rum by recievers that gets you 5-8 yards down the field. My question is does anyone know of any excersices(sp) he can do to build up arm strength without damage. The boy is 9 and will be 10 in Feb.
You could think of government workers like teenagers. You pay them an allowance, but do you get any work out them? They eat the food, put their feet on the furniture and complain loudly whenever they are unhappy.
houstonherdfan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Sweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 5)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Manja » Wed Dec 15, 2004 10:57 pm

Have him fish. The whole thing with throwing the line is very similar to throwing a football. Other than that, I would think just have him practice throwing.
Manja
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Chopper » Wed Dec 15, 2004 11:37 pm

You should probably talk to a pediatrician or perhaps a physical therapist with a strong youth background before starting any conditioning with kids that young.
That said, I think there are a couple things you can do now. First, is push-ups. Great exercise that he can do any where, any time and will help the entire upper body. Second, don't lose sight of the fact that passing distance is much more than arm strength. Strengthening (and properly using) legs, hips, back and shoulder will contribute as much as building biceps.
Good luck.
“The Green Bay Packers never lost a football game. They just ran out of time.”
Vince Lombardi
Chopper
Head Coach
Head Coach

Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby LBJackal » Thu Dec 16, 2004 4:50 am

Well this is a weird "keeper" question :-D

I'd say have him do light training, nothing too much (you don't want kids to develop too much muscle when they're this young I don't think) and just practive throwing the ball. Eventually his arm strength will build up. Once he's a bit older then weight training becomes more important (usuallty you want to hit puberty first).

Good luck with the team. Maybe you have a future LaDanian Tomlinson in there. Or by the impression I get of the QB, maybe another Chad Pennington ;-D
"This country was built on immigrants. We need them. Without them, who would train our tigers and kick our extra points?"

-Homer Simpson
LBJackal
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby kevinoc81 » Thu Dec 16, 2004 9:45 am

How about trying

The cream?

or

The clear?
kevinoc81
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Manja » Thu Dec 16, 2004 9:52 am

Good luck with the team. Maybe you have a future LaDanian Tomlinson in there. Or by the impression I get of the QB, maybe another Chad Pennington thumbs.gif

Or Ryan Leaf. :-°
Manja
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby houstonherdfan » Sun Dec 19, 2004 12:39 am

Chopper wrote:You should probably talk to a pediatrician or perhaps a physical therapist with a strong youth background before starting any conditioning with kids that young.
That said, I think there are a couple things you can do now. First, is push-ups. Great exercise that he can do any where, any time and will help the entire upper body. Second, don't lose sight of the fact that passing distance is much more than arm strength. Strengthening (and properly using) legs, hips, back and shoulder will contribute as much as building biceps.
Good luck.

His doctor has already said that some weight training would be ok as long as the weights were not heavy said to go with less weight and more repitions but could not help me with the types of excersize to specifically help. He has good form as I have been working with him for 3 years and worked with his mechanics from information gotten from books and the net.

What I'm trying to find is the type of training that can be done to work on the upper body (arms and chest) that would be ok for a 10 year old to do without injury and how to properly do them
You could think of government workers like teenagers. You pay them an allowance, but do you get any work out them? They eat the food, put their feet on the furniture and complain loudly whenever they are unhappy.
houstonherdfan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Sweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 5)

Postby Guttpuppy » Sun Dec 19, 2004 12:49 am

Isn't flag football for like MTV Rock-n-Jock?Might as well play soccer.Kids around here knock the snot out of each other in their PeeWee leagues.

Sorry,just seems kind of odd to me.
Guttpuppy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Return to General Talk