The word on Shaun Alexander - Not "Inconsistent" - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

The word on Shaun Alexander - Not "Inconsistent"

Moderator: Football Moderators

The word on Shaun Alexander - Not "Inconsistent"

Postby LeftyQB » Tue Aug 12, 2003 3:33 pm

Every time Alexander comes up for discussion a few people always use "inconsistent" as a word to downgrade him. While last year he...and the Seahawks' O-line as well as Hasselbeck got off to a slow start, he had a good year. A lot of people gave up on him. Some stats to make you feel a little better about him:
1. He's only in his 4th year and is getting better
2. After only carrying 64 times in 2000 he's had 1318 and 1175 rushing yards and 343 and 460 receiving yards in 2001 &2002.
3. He's scored 34 TD's the last two years tying him with Priest Holmes as the leader in the NFL.
4. He's averaged 4.3 and 4.0 yds per carry the last two years
5. He only had 20+ carries 6 times last year

Overall I'd say he is a pretty damn goog running back. Inconsistant should not be used because of last years results.
LeftyQB
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Mudd » Tue Aug 12, 2003 3:56 pm

I'm HOPING people think he's overrated and i can get him to put along side my keeper Portis. That would be a SWEET backfield. I draft tonight!!!!
Mudd
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Tue Aug 12, 2003 4:08 pm

Ok, now let me give you other stats that show why people are saying he is inconsistant.

Remember, in standard scoring leagues, 20 rush/rec yds = 1 point, so increments of 20 are important.

Last yr, Alexander:

Rushed for less than 60 yds 7 times.
Rushed for less than 80 yds 11 times.
Rushed for over 100 4 times (in those 4 he averaged 133yds!).
Had 12 games where he failed to surpass 40 receiving yds.
Failed to find the end zone 7 times.

He is the ultimate boom or bust player - hence the tag "inconsistant".
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertSweet 16 Survivor

Postby 9er Fan » Tue Aug 12, 2003 4:15 pm

He had 15 of his 18 TDs in 6 games. Which leaves 3 TDs in his other 10 games. Oh, and Walter Jones is holding out again this year...
9er Fan
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby fntsyrookie » Tue Aug 12, 2003 4:20 pm

9er Fan wrote:He had 15 of his 18 TDs in 6 games. Which leaves 3 TDs in his other 10 games. Oh, and Walter Jones is holding out again this year...

Let's not forget that he also had a 5 TD game against the Vikes which really scews his #s even more. I'd call him inconsistent.
fntsyrookie
General Manager
General Manager

Innovative MemberPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby LeftyQB » Tue Aug 12, 2003 4:22 pm

I hear ya...but again, this will only be his 3rd year starting and last year the entire team got off to a rough start. I really think if you combine his last two years, he's not all that inconsistent...but this is fantasy football and if it were that easyand we were always right we'd all be winning every year. This is a fun one to debate.
LeftyQB
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby Xtreme » Tue Aug 12, 2003 4:27 pm

I've already address this issue...
See my second post: http://www.fantasyfootballcafe.com/foru ... hp?t=12399
HIR? viewtopic.php?t=507654#p3396000

Beware the Buffalion!
Xtreme
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Xtreme » Tue Aug 12, 2003 4:29 pm

Xtreme wrote:I've already address this issue...
See my second post: http://www.fantasyfootballcafe.com/foru ... hp?t=12399

Ah screw it, here's what I posted....

When people say inconsistent, they mean game-to-game, not season-to-season. Let's look at last year's first 7 games...

Game__Yrds__TDs__FF Pts
-------------------------------------------
9/8____36____0____3.6
9/15___37____0____3.7
9/22___37____0____3.7
9/29__139___4___37.9
10/14__96___1___15.6
10/20__30____0____3.0
10/27__58___2___17.8

And his receiving numbers are just as bad.
Season long, they'll add up to respectable numbers, but in the first 7 games, your fantasy team is 3-4, because one of your top RB's gave you 4 3pt games. These numbers are the very definition of inconsistent.
HIR? viewtopic.php?t=507654#p3396000

Beware the Buffalion!
Xtreme
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Cliff Harris » Tue Aug 12, 2003 5:52 pm

This will probably be meant with some skepticism, but I feel Alexander will be the second most productive RB this season, just behind Portis and just ahead of Williams, Tomlinson and Holmes.

Man, I just LOVE that schedule and the potential in that offense. Seattle should average around 30 points a game this season, and Alexander will be a big part of that.

Remember, Alexander was the #2 ranked RB behind Faulk heading into last season. Granted many people got burned by him, but if you stuck with him, he rewarded handsomely in the fantasy playoffs (if you made it that far).
Cliff Harris
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby kcman11 » Tue Aug 12, 2003 6:36 pm

This will probably be meant with some skepticism, but I feel Alexander will be the second most productive RB this season, just behind Portis and just ahead of Williams, Tomlinson and Holmes.

Yes, it is indeed met with a little skepticism. I feel that Alexander will be the 4th most-productive RB this year, behind Portis (no-brainer there), Williams and Edgerrin James, who most people will overlook because of skepticism concerning his injury (also because of the fact that Indianapolis found out that they have THREE great RBs in James, Mungro and my boy Dominic Rhodes).
I like Shaun Alexander a lot and want him to do well (mainly because I have his most expensive and rare rookie card and as his stock goes up, so does my card's) and it is my contention that the Seahawks have an exciting team (with Alexander, Matt Hasselbeck, Koren Robinson, and Darrell Jackson heading a very solid offense) and could surprise many people by making the playoffs this year.
Winning truely IS everything.
kcman11
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Next

Return to Football Talk