The word on Shaun Alexander - Not "Inconsistent" - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

The word on Shaun Alexander - Not "Inconsistent"

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby LeftyQB » Tue Aug 12, 2003 6:52 pm

Agree with a lot of what is said. But I'm writing off the first half of last year due to the O-line issues and Hasselbeck not getting in sync. It's a great debate though and time will tell. Just like the tag Issac Bruce had and I still hear about people calling him injury prone even though he hasn't missed a game in 4 years.
Have fun... that's what it's all about.
LeftyQB
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Home Cafe: Football

Postby VHawk15 » Tue Aug 12, 2003 7:50 pm

I also love Shaun. As you can see, I'm supporting him in my sig line. His schedule works greatly in his favor and his situation in Seattle is looking better than it has ever looked. I think that after this season, "Alexander" and "inconsitent" will never be used in the same sentence again. Well, except for sentences like "The word on Shaun Alexander- not inconsitent." ;-D

The more you can increase fear of drugs and crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all the people. -Noam Chomsky
VHawk15
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Blackjack ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Re: The word on Shaun Alexander - Not "Inconsistent"

Postby brdmaverick » Wed Aug 13, 2003 3:32 pm

LeftyQB wrote:
5. He only had 20+ carries 6 times last year

This doesn't make me feel better, I would rather he be the workhorse back.

With less than 20 carries a game, it is very clear why he is a boom or bust player.
brdmaverick
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Guest » Wed Aug 13, 2003 4:33 pm

i've decided to try to get him this year, just so he doesn't single-handedly rape me with another 5 td performance like last year

Friendliness: %

Postby awwchrist » Wed Aug 13, 2003 5:36 pm

ahh a seahawks post..how can i not comment?

I've mentioned the following on multiple threads in varying forums here in the cafe. They are nuggets of this n that, do what you will to them.

Shaun IS inconsistant. The reasons are multiple. Offensive line issues, personal running style issues, and Seattle's offense as a whole. But in his inconsistancy he's managed to put up the most TD's in the NFC last year, even subtracting his 5TD performance vs Minn, he'd still rank 3rd overall, and 2nd in rushing. It is feast or famine with this guy.

As is becoming a tradition, Walter Jones is holding out. Last year Seattle was not as prepared for it as they are this year. Also, our LG Hutchinson is arguably one of the best LG's in the game. He was out for almost the entire season last year. He's back and roaring in TC.

Shaun has a history of not hitting the line with force. He likes to dance and step parallel along trying to find a crack. Self-admittingly, always looking for the big play with every carry. Holmgren's been on his ass since day 1 about that. It's been reported he's corrected his approach to running this TC..but we'll see.

It's also no secret (or is it?) that Seattle coaches (both Holmgren and O-coordinator Gil Haskill) love Maurice Morris. The 2nd year 2nd round pick RB from Oregon has done everything possible to wrangle carries from Shaun. Just a few days ago I even posted in the NFC west forum that they are determined to get Maurice at least 75-100 carries this year.

Voila.
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Re: The word on Shaun Alexander - Not "Inconsistent"

Postby Orange and Blue » Thu Aug 14, 2003 2:54 am

LeftyQB wrote:4. He's averaged 4.3 and 4.0 yds per carry the last two years

I'd be downright terrified if my feature back had that few yards per carry. Low ypc = more carries before they get decent fantasy points. This means that he's got more chances to injure himself and wear down before he manages to rack up the big scores. Averaging 4 yards a carry, it takes 25 carries to get a 100 yard game, which is 5 carries too many, in my opinion.

I'll stick with Portis and his NFL-leading ypc, thank you very much.
CP:TD::Sanders:Smith
Orange and Blue
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby The Dude_ffc » Fri Aug 15, 2003 10:41 am

5.5 ypc is not the norm and will be extremely hard to repeat over the entire year for portis. Don't get me wrong, Portis is buttah. As for Shaun's inconsistency, don't put the tag on someone after one FULL season as a starter. Give the guy some time to mature before you stick the inconsistent tag on him. For many of the reasons that are listed as knocks on Shaun there are positive spins you can place on them. 1.Mo Morris will keep Shaun fresh while helping him also avoid the injury bug. 2. His big games are a sign of things to come as he matures - he will begin to school defenders.
Bottom line: Inconsistent - yes, young - yes, potential to be consistent THIS year - huge.
"That rug really tied the room together."
The Dude_ffc
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby CC » Sat Aug 16, 2003 2:16 pm

seriously this guy makes you want to commit suicide.
last year he single-handedly won me a game by scoring 52 points.
then the next week i lose by 10 or so and he's good for 2 points. he has as many 30 yard weeks as he does 100 yard weeks.
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby LeftyQB » Sat Aug 16, 2003 3:28 pm

I'm glad this posting inspired some debate...it's a good one. Watch out for Alexander this year. Also he still managed to be the 7th most productive fantasy back, even after a bad first half.
LeftyQB
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby SinCity » Sat Aug 16, 2003 3:31 pm

The Dude posted
As for Shaun's inconsistency, don't put the tag on someone after one FULL season as a starter.

Who else started for Seattle last year at RB?
SinCity
Head Coach
Head Coach

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk