Are the Hawks going to resign Shaun Alexander? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Are the Hawks going to resign Shaun Alexander?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Are the Hawks going to resign Shaun Alexander?

Postby gtgrad95 » Fri Dec 17, 2004 7:52 am

His contract is up at the end of the year, but I haven't heard anything. I picked up Maurice Morris in a keeper league just to be sure. I heard rumors that they tried to trade Alexander in the offseason, but that his value wasn't as high as they thought it was.
Also, Hasselbeck is due up for renewal and I would think he would be just as high priority, considering the amount of time they spent grooming him.

Any thoughts?
gtgrad95
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Football

Postby no1cowboysfan » Fri Dec 17, 2004 8:13 am

There's a thread concerning this in the Seahawks forum. Not a whole lot of news available... but there are a few articles on the subject.

http://www.fantasyfootballcafe.com/foru ... p?t=124732

'Cause I'm Cow ... Boy ... for life.
no1cowboysfan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby bagobonez » Fri Dec 17, 2004 1:11 pm

I doubt they re-sign Alexander. They have 3 major guys that are free agents, Hasselbeck, Walter Jones and Alexander. Alexander's career year is going to drive his price up to the point where they may have to choose between Alexander or Hasselbeck and Jones.

Considering Hasselbeck's down year, they will be able to afford him much more easily now.

Plus Holmgren thinks he's a genius, and no matter how much Hass is sucking and no matter how much Alexander is owning, he still thinks he needs to throw it 50 times a game.

That is, if Holmgren still has a job after the season.
"90% of the game is half mental" - John Madden
bagobonez
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Kensat30 » Fri Dec 17, 2004 1:39 pm

If there is one guy in Seattle that needs to be franchised, it's Jones. Alexander and Hasselbeck need to come to contract terms during the offseason or they will no longer be wearing Seahawk's uniforms. Get Alexander or Hasselbeck to sign a long-term deal before the season ends (ala Colts/Harrison), and it will be a lot easier for them to retain all three.
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Writer

Postby JimmyChoi » Fri Dec 17, 2004 2:37 pm

I justt don't see it happening....
JimmyChoi
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby Canadian Seahawk » Fri Dec 17, 2004 6:33 pm

Alexander the Dolphin???????
Canadian Seahawk
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberSweet 16 Survivor
Location: Toronto, Centre of the Universe.,,I'd love some M&Ms please homeless

Postby CC » Fri Dec 17, 2004 6:36 pm

I think Bagobonez hit the nail on the head about current market value.

Also, Alexander and Hasselbeck aren't nearly as good as they are if they don't have Walter Jones, the Seahawks should consider him priority #1. And since I believe that the Seahawks could plug in Mo Morris and get similar results, I say you should let Alexander go.
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby KingGhidra » Fri Dec 17, 2004 7:58 pm

Kensat30 wrote:If there is one guy in Seattle that needs to be franchised, it's Jones.

Franchising Jones year after year is what got them in this current mess. They have had to pay him top LT salary the last 3 years going on 4 which is enormous. It's like $7M a year in base salary. If they had locked him up a few seasons ago, his cap hit would be friendly and they could afford to keep both Hass and SA NOW.

I guess it depends on what the Seattle front office wants to do. They could completely blow up the team, let the high price guys and coaches go and start over fresh. Personally, I'd sign Jones and let SA go. RB is a young man's profession and SA will be 28 next season. Given the price he will command, it's better to let him walk and see what you have with backups and maybe try to get a 2nd round steal in 2005. I wouldn't let Hass walk unless he was trying to get too much money. I think he'd be fine, but Seattle needs a combination of Engram and K-Rob rolled into one WR. If they want to win next year, they can't expect to get that in the draft and hope a guy like Joe Horn or Isaac Bruce becomes available because of cap concerns.
KingGhidra
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby deluxe_247 » Fri Dec 17, 2004 9:22 pm

let me tell you, as a alexander owner in a keeper league....i wake up in cold sweats at nights from having nightmares about talk like this. im done for if he goes to miami.
deluxe_247
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerBig Sig ChampionMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby awwchrist » Fri Dec 17, 2004 9:47 pm

Who knows when Jones will finally sign. The colossal speedbump has never been money, rather voidable contract years. Seattle's always been willing to give Jones $$$.
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Next

Return to Football Talk