Are the Hawks going to resign Shaun Alexander? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Are the Hawks going to resign Shaun Alexander?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby fantasizing » Fri Dec 17, 2004 10:48 pm

W. Jones is the best in the NFL at his position. It's because of him that S. Alexander scores those "easy" 1-yard touchdowns. And most of his big gains are made running behind Jones on the left side. Seattle'd be wise to focus first on re-signing him. I agree with those above that Hass won't (can't) demand much because of his mediocre season, unless of course he finishes off really hot and the Hawks make it deep into the playoffs on his play. But assuming the status quo, they should be able to re-sign him.. Alexander is having a great year and his value to the Seahawks has never been greater than this year. Unfortunately for the Hawks, that means he'll go where the money is.

Going to Miami will kill his fantasy production though, imo. Alexander benefits tremendously from the o-line and passing game in Seattle. How many times in the last 3 years has Seattle marched down the field on 4 or 5 big pass plays only to have SA punch it in from inside the 5. Too many to count. No chance in hell that happens in Miami.
fantasizing
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby VHawk15 » Fri Dec 17, 2004 11:58 pm

What the priority should be:

1) Alexander
2) Jones
3) Hasselbeck

The more you can increase fear of drugs and crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all the people. -Noam Chomsky
VHawk15
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Blackjack ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby CC » Sat Dec 18, 2004 9:53 am

VHawk15 wrote:What the priority should be:

1) Alexander
2) Jones
3) Hasselbeck

Why?

And BTW, to fantasizing, Ogden owns all other tackles in the league.
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Azrael » Sat Dec 18, 2004 12:42 pm

Heh, is that resign as in "re-sign" or (rezine)...a little funny for anyone who listens to Mike and Mike.
Azrael
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 7)

Postby Free Bagel » Sun Dec 19, 2004 11:13 pm

Not to bring up an old arguement, but I still think Alexander is a product of that great O-line. I have never in my life seen a highlight of one of SA's TD's that impressed me. It's usually untouched through a gaping hole that I could run through, generally from about 1 yard away. Any time anyone gets a hat on him he seems to go down, and he's not a guy that can juke around alot.

He didn't help his cause in my mind in the nationally broadcast MNF game last week when I could actually watch him through an entire game. Both he and Julius Jones had big games statistically. SA had two TD's, one was on a toss from near the goalline that had such good blocking no defensive player got near him. The only person that touched him was when he ran into his own player and almost fell down short of the end zone. His other TD was when Dallas stacked the box on 4th and 1 and still managed to give way to a 3 yard wide hole that he ran through, again untouched, into the end zone.

JJ had 3 TD's, on each one of them he got hit by a defensive player from behind the 4 yard line and still got in. I don't think you'll find anyone that watched that game and won't say that SA didn't even look like the best RB on the field that night. That's not to say that JJ is a better back by any means, just that JJ clearly LOOKED better that night, as he broke tackles and made people miss all night, probably totalling around 15 missed tackles he forced. I was watching all game long and I honestly did not see a single broken tackle or successful juke from SA, and I was watching closely. Every time a guy got a hat on him he went down.

Then this week, SA gets a toss inside the 5, cuts inside running downhill with a full head of steam into a defender standing on his heels on his own 1 yard line, looks like an easy TD, he ends up not only stuffed, but also fumbles.

Moral of the story: I'm not sure what Seattle's cap situation looks like, but if it's tight and SA is asking alot, I'd imagine they would seriously consider letting him go elsewhere.
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby CC » Mon Dec 20, 2004 10:16 am

Just another little tidbit on how much Holmgren trusts Morris, during the middle of the year before last, Holmgren was about to bench Alexander and then Morris had hamstring problems.
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby awwchrist » Mon Dec 20, 2004 6:38 pm

FB, if you'd care to infuse this thread with measuring the value of SA by comparing his performance against Dallas' run defense to JJ's performance against Seattle's run defense, then by all means.

I've been watching this team all year. And in the last two games, Arizona and Atlanta could roll out Larry Croom and Jason Wright respectively...

We'd make em look fantasy draft eligible for next season.

"JJ clearly LOOKED better that night, as he broke tackles and made people miss all night, probably totalling around 15 missed tackles he forced"

We do that a lot lately.
Last edited by awwchrist on Tue Dec 21, 2004 1:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby cruiz03 » Tue Dec 21, 2004 1:16 am

Aww... if you wish to roll out inconsistant unspecified data, then by all means.

Saying that JJ LOOKED better than Alexander against their apposing defenses, is nothing more than an observation of what DID occur. Whether you would like to admit it or not may be a different issue.

Do I think JJ is better than Alexander, absolutely NOT. They are not even in the same fasinity. Regardless, Jones did look better than Alexander THAT night even though he is the inferior RB.

BTW... I traded JJ in my keeper league with Free agency for a 1st rounder next year and A. Boldwin. Until JJ has other weapons his growth will be limited. Hey, 7 in the box and a LB playing gap defense stoped him in the second half of the NO game and again against Phily.

Now, will SA stay in Seattle to me is questionable. SA is all about the money... I can't blame him. Will Seattle spend the cash is still in dought. There are 5 decent RB coming from the draft, there will be tons of free agent RB's who would play at Seattle for less just to get the opportunity to run behind that line. Morris to me is a good 3rd down back with good hands but not the punishing type as a R. Johnson, L. Jordan and some rooks that would be available in the mid to late first round. Guess what, they will be cheaper.
cruiz03
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby awwchrist » Tue Dec 21, 2004 1:52 am

cruiz03 wrote:Aww... if you wish to roll out inconsistant unspecified data, then by all means.

Saying that JJ LOOKED better than Alexander against their apposing defenses, is nothing more than an observation of what DID occur. Whether you would like to admit it or not may be a different issue.

You must have misread me, because you bagged on my opinion, then followed it with agreement.
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Previous

Return to Football Talk