playing together (answered) - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Trivia Time Trial

playing together (answered)

Moderator: Football Trivia Mods

playing together (answered)

Postby 204BC » Fri Dec 17, 2004 2:47 pm

What current AFC team and current NFC team were once the same team for one year? What year did they merge and what was the name of the team?
204BC
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Cafe WriterCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby joshyboy72 » Tue Dec 21, 2004 6:26 pm

the Dallas Cowboys and the Kansas City Chiefs

they were the Dallas Texans. I think you meant separated instead of merged...but if you still mean merged well the franchise started in 1959, played their first season in 1960 and separated in 1962

I could be wrong...in fact there might've even been more than one situation like this I'm not sure
joshyboy72
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 ChampionCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby Dr. Duran Duran » Tue Dec 21, 2004 7:20 pm

1944 "Carpets" (Chicago Cards-Pittsburgh Steelers merged team) (0-10)
AKA: Card-Pitt<br><br><span class=gensmall>Accepted as answer by 204B&C on Fri Jan 07, 2005 9:58 am EST.</span>
Dr. Duran Duran
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterTrivia Time Trial ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby 204BC » Tue Dec 21, 2004 8:20 pm

I have to check out joshyboy72's answer. I thought I had researched this well enough and I thought that there was only one answer. Otherwise I had what DDD had. I'll check it out and get back to this one.
204BC
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby RavensRule » Wed Dec 22, 2004 5:36 pm

Steelers and Eagles in 1943 were known as the "Steagles" (not sure if I spelled it correctly)
RavensRule
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby PHI » Tue Dec 28, 2004 11:36 am

Joshboy, I'd be interested in seeing where you got your information. To the best of my knowledge, the Dallas Texans were an original AFL franchise that moved to and became the Kansas City Chiefs. The Dallas Cowboys were an NFL expansion franchise added in response to the AFL forming. The NFL's Dallas Texans were the old Boston Yanks, New York Bulldogs, and New York Yanks, that became the Dallas Texans in the early 50's and folded after one season as the Texans.
Other than the fact that both teams started about the same time and played in the same city for a couple of years, there is no connection between the Chiefs and Cowboys to my knowledge.
Fantasy Football Junkies Anonymous meetings held weekly on Sundays... and Mondays... and sometimes Thursdays.
PHI
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby 204BC » Fri Jan 07, 2005 10:02 am

I could not verify joshyboy72's answer so I'm sticking with what I have. RavensRule is also right about the Steelers and Eagles, but DDD answered first. I must be more vigilant on my research before posting questions, I didn't mean for there to be 2 correct answers. Actually, RavensRule's answer wasn't entirely correct, the "official" name of the team was "Phil-Pitt". Steagles was just a name that the fans used.
204BC
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Return to Trivia Time Trial