Why not both? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Why not both?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Why not both?

Postby portisfan24 » Fri Dec 17, 2004 8:26 pm

I was thinking about why leagues are always just IDP or just team defense. I started to wonder, why cant you do both? In my money league, we start 1 team def, 1 DB and 1 DL. Its great. I know yahoo has roster limits (as well as most leagues) but I tihnk yahoos roster max is 25. Thats definately enough for a couple extra slots for IDPS. So I guess my question is why isnt this done more often?
portisfan24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Guttpuppy » Fri Dec 17, 2004 9:32 pm

I dunno,I'd hate to have one of my IDP guys get like 4 sacks just to have my opponents Team D get credit for them as well.

I guess it's all personal preference.
Guttpuppy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby deluxe_247 » Fri Dec 17, 2004 9:36 pm

Guttpuppy wrote:I dunno,I'd hate to have one of my IDP guys get like 4 sacks just to have my opponents Team D get credit for them as well.

I guess it's all personal preference.

yeah i would agree..you would almost have to award the individual performances of the defensive players more than the team as a whole.
deluxe_247
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerBig Sig ChampionMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby defianthart » Fri Dec 17, 2004 11:46 pm

well isnt that like an opponents WR getting credit for the TDs your QB threw?
[u]Vince Lombardi Dynasty League(cafe)[/u]
Coweta Dirty Birds: Runner-Up

[u]The Chosen Dynasty League(money)[/u]
Zoso's Ringers: Champs
defianthart
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Chopper » Sat Dec 18, 2004 12:00 am

Our league did both this year, and I like it. Haven't had any complaints from anyone else, either.
We start:
DST;
DB;
DL;
D (flex DB/DL)

The biggest difference in team v. IDP scoring is that sacks count one point for a DST, but three for an IDP.

The only thing I'd like to change is to add an LB slot (Yahoo counts LB's as DL in our league.) Can't remember from when I set it up last summer...Does anyone know if you can start LB's seperate from DL's in Yahoo?
“The Green Bay Packers never lost a football game. They just ran out of time.”
Vince Lombardi
Chopper
Head Coach
Head Coach

Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby deluxe_247 » Sat Dec 18, 2004 12:10 am

defianthart wrote:well isnt that like an opponents WR getting credit for the TDs your QB threw?

yes, but if your league is like mine, the receiver also gets credited more points per yard caught than the qb for yards thrown, so there is a slight edge
deluxe_247
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerBig Sig ChampionMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby defianthart » Sat Dec 18, 2004 1:13 am

thats true but dont IDP also get credit for tackles and pass deflections and such
[u]Vince Lombardi Dynasty League(cafe)[/u]
Coweta Dirty Birds: Runner-Up

[u]The Chosen Dynasty League(money)[/u]
Zoso's Ringers: Champs
defianthart
Head Coach
Head Coach

Re: Why not both?

Postby Arlo » Sat Dec 18, 2004 5:59 am

portisfan24 wrote:So I guess my question is why isnt this done more often?

Probably because the IDP format itself isn't all that common yet. As the number of IDP leagues continues to grow, I'm sure we'll see hybrid formats like this (and other nonstandard setups) increase.

Aside from Guttpuppy's point, there's nothing wrong with using both IDPs and team defenses. To eliminate that problem, you could always limit your IDPs to teams whose defenses you have on your roster, creating a new strategic twist. As the Pupp said, it's all a matter of taste.
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby YunYaamka » Sun Dec 19, 2004 2:52 am

I'm in a league this year that uses IDPs and defensive teams. We start one team, two DB's, two DL's (linebackers/lineman) and two uitility defenseman. I've loved it because it added to the draft day strategy and is another way a game can swing during the week.
"Everybody has their sanctuary. Catholics have church, fat people have Wisconsin, and I have beer." - Peter Griffin
YunYaamka
Water Boy
Water Boy

Return to Football Talk