anyone know anything about insomnia? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

anyone know anything about insomnia?

Moderator: Football Moderators

anyone know anything about insomnia?

Postby defianthart » Sat Dec 18, 2004 5:49 am

it has now been officially 48 hours ive been up and i cant sleep at all. im tired but just cant fall asleep. its been happening more frequently lately and i start school in the spring and will be needing my sleep. nothing my doctor has told me to do has worked so can anyone in the cafe help me out with some advice or tips or something?
[u]Vince Lombardi Dynasty League(cafe)[/u]
Coweta Dirty Birds: Runner-Up

[u]The Chosen Dynasty League(money)[/u]
Zoso's Ringers: Champs
defianthart
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby joshyboy72 » Sat Dec 18, 2004 8:52 am

Maybe you're stressed out? Have drank too much coffee lately? Unresolved personal issues? You might want to ask the doctor about using a sleeping pill. But if you want to stay away from those probably the best thing you could do is just keep a window open to let in a little fresh air, and relax. Here's an article I got on the Internet, it should help you out.

Vijai P. Sharma, Ph.D

Anxiety, depression, a chronic tendency for worrying, or unresolved and unsolvable personal issues are known enemies of sleep. It is better to seek counseling for the cause of insomnia rather than merely treating insomnia.

Perhaps, you are a conscious and alert patient who has read everything there is to read about good sleeping habits but sleep still eludes you. You keep your room dark and cool at night, don't take any stimulants in the evening, keep the TV, radio, books and other distractions out of your room and don't use your bedroom for anything else, keep yourself as active as your physical condition allows, receive counseling for psychological issues, take sleep medication from your doctor and still find yourself asking, "What now? What else can I do?"

So, here is my tip #2: "Create a "restorative" state without fussing and fretting over sleep or trying to chase the sleep."

By going into deep relaxation, you can restore and replenish your body much like good, restful sleep does. The restorative state can benefit you if you don't get too impatient and agitated about your insomnia, but commit to fully and patiently work to access the restorative state. I will now describe the "How to" of the restorative state

After 20 to 30 minutes of sleeplessness, you need to make the following three calls. 1) Call attention to your attention. Take charge of your attention. 2) Pay close attention to your body; keep moving your focus from one part of the body to another, systematically from head to toe. Keep repeating the process. 3) after a few "rounds of the body," take special note of your breathing. Move your attention from one part of the body to another, imagining that your breath is moving in and out from there. Keep repeating the process over and over. When you can attend to the whole body all at one time, fix your attention there.

You will face many challenges in doing this. Pain, restlessness, coughing, fatigue, worries and other physical or emotional distractions will try to disrupt your exercise. Ride out those challenges. Don't quit. For sleepless in Seattle, this might be the only game in town!

joshyboy72
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 ChampionCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby The Miner Part 2 » Sat Dec 18, 2004 10:53 am

try excersing. sounds to easy to be true, but i used to have this problem and once i started working full time ive had no trouble.
The Miner Part 2
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby mikehunt » Sat Dec 18, 2004 11:32 am

If you doctor didn't help maybe you should try like a natural healer or someong who is in whole listic medicine. SOmetimes these people can help target certain body conditions. ALso are you a red Bull drinker or anything else that might keep you wired. Keep your lif style clean for a bit and tht might help ( not inplying anythin, I don't know you) just a good general rule.

Mike
mikehunt
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby deftdelivery » Sat Dec 18, 2004 12:53 pm

Your solution is simple: You have Tyler Durden-ism.

You feel like you cannot sleep because often times, your alter-ego takes over and guides you around the united states, creating fight clubs and destroying priceless pieces of art. You think you just have trouble sleeping, but in reality, you have another person living inside you. Your materialism and cowardice towards women has led you to create a perfect image of yourself, one that wants you to hit bottom to realize your full potential.

You are Jack's double personality.

You are Tyler Durden.

Please tell me you've seen fight club
[url=http://www.studio-seraph.com/forums]Image[/url]
YOUR movie resource - sign up at the forums

[color=green]PS I'll find my frog[/color]
deftdelivery
General Manager
General Manager

Postby portisfan24 » Sat Dec 18, 2004 2:33 pm

I knew a guy who would read in bed, often times for hours. He was a certified insomniac though.
portisfan24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby defianthart » Sat Dec 18, 2004 2:59 pm

well my doctors told me to not drink caffeine after 6 pm(im addicted to coca cola but ive stopped), to exercise more(i do 45 minutes a day on a bike plus weight lifting every other day), keep the bedroom for sleeping(tv, comp, everything in my room but i read in living room for half hour before bed to relax), reduce stress(i dont have a job or do anything since i moved here in august so no stress), and i used to drink and smoke, but havent since i moved here.

thanks for the tips, im gonna try what you said tonite joshyboy and ive been thinking about seeing a holistic healer but itll be a trip into atlanta for that, as long as i could sleep though...
[u]Vince Lombardi Dynasty League(cafe)[/u]
Coweta Dirty Birds: Runner-Up

[u]The Chosen Dynasty League(money)[/u]
Zoso's Ringers: Champs
defianthart
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mercer Boy » Sat Dec 18, 2004 3:34 pm

Yeah, I would say not thinking about not being able to sleep would be the first and best thing to try. I know these aren't going to make sense, but these are all things I try to do when I can't sleep. I actually do these things; I'm not trying to mock your situation at all.

1) At all times, I sleep with the covers over my head whether I can or can't sleep. It makes everything really dark. It sort of goes away with the cold room thing, but for me it works.

2) I put my arm over my forehead and the other over my upper chest in a wresling "sleeperhold" position. For some reason it seems to do a good job in making me get tired. Maybe I'm partially forcing oxygen out of my brain or something...

3) I try to visualize the color black deepening into darker states of black over and over again. It's hard to describe, but by looking at the dark over and over again it makes me tired.

4) Finally (and this is for when I'm extremely restless - you're going to think I'm being funny but I'm not), I start recreating and reciting (in my head) the final scene in Ghostbusters with Gozer asking if Ray was a god and then materializing the Stay Puft Marshmallow Man. Believe me, I have no idea why I do this, but for some reason it works every time. :-B

I really hope you can find a way to solve your sleeping problems! ;-D
The One, the Only, the Incomparable Mercer Boy.
My My YouTube.
Mercer Boy
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby awwchrist » Sat Dec 18, 2004 3:41 pm

Comment of the Week

I start recreating and reciting (in my head) the final scene in Ghostbusters with Gozer asking if Ray was a god and then materializing the Stay Puft Marshmallow Man. Believe me, I have no idea why I do this, but for some reason it works every time.
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby The Miner Part 2 » Sat Dec 18, 2004 3:51 pm

deftdelivery wrote:Your solution is simple: You have Tyler Durden-ism.

You feel like you cannot sleep because often times, your alter-ego takes over and guides you around the united states, creating fight clubs and destroying priceless pieces of art. You think you just have trouble sleeping, but in reality, you have another person living inside you. Your materialism and cowardice towards women has led you to create a perfect image of yourself, one that wants you to hit bottom to realize your full potential.

You are Jack's double personality.

You are Tyler Durden.

Please tell me you've seen fight club

ha, good sh*t.
The Miner Part 2
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Next

Return to General Talk