Locking the rosters of the non-playoff teams? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Locking the rosters of the non-playoff teams?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Locking the rosters of the non-playoff teams?

Postby warrick95 » Sat Dec 18, 2004 5:12 pm

In one of my leagues, a couple of people that were in the playoffs were noticeably upset that teams that were not in the playoffs (consolation bracket) were still making roster moves.

This was a post made on our league message board:
WHY ARE NON PLAYOFF TEAMS STILL MAKING TRANSACTIONS

COME ON GUYS LAY OFF THE TRANSACTIONS. LEAVE THE PLAYERS FOR THE PLAYOFF TEAMS. IF YOUR NOT IN THE PLAYOFFS WHY MAKE ANY MOVES THE SEASON IS DONE AT THIS POINT

With probable pressure from others, as well, the commish obliged and locked the rosters of the non-playoff teams. However, the non-playoff teams are still in the consolation bracket (some are), which these people do not understand. Here are two posts that I made. I'm really not all that interested in this league, but I feel that this principle is incorrect and not in the correct spirit of the game of Fantasy Football:

That's retarded...
by: Oft-Injured Pussies (pw80bengals) Dec 16 5:31pm
Non playoff teams can't make moves? What keeps parity then? We're still in the consolation bracket, albeit not the playoff bracket. We have every right to make roster moves. It's a travesty that our rosters were locked.

It's called playing spoiler...
by: Oft-Injured Pussies (pw80bengals) Dec 18 5:04pm
Through not only the matchups, but the actual waiver wire, too. Do NFL teams not get to make roster moves because they're out of the playoff race? Heck, if one team's going to make the playoffs guaranteed while the other won't and mathematically, there is no way for that to change whatever the outcome of the game, do they just cancel the game? No. For the sake of the integrity of the game, that does not happen. It is absurd what y'all are doing. It's wrong and y'all know it. We can ask on Fantasy Sports Message Boards and you will see that this method is unheard of and completely illogical. However, I will not bother fighting this because I seriously don't care. That being said, this league is full of the most incredible and diverse mix of idiots I've ever seen. Peace.

What do you guys think? Is my logic incorrect? Should non-playoff teams always lie down for the teams that are in the playoffs? There were other posts made, but most of that was incessant babbling between two guys that really didn't have much substance at all...along the lines of "this league is gay" "you like little children," etc.
"The son of Bobby Bowden once again proved he's as predictable as a Julia Roberts' movie.

And upon further review, just as sappy, too."
-Naples Daily News
warrick95
Head Coach
Head Coach

Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Trying to clog the leaky Bengals defense with plastic putty...

Postby CC » Sat Dec 18, 2004 5:16 pm

That's pretty dumb, if the other teams still have something to play for they should be allowed to make roster moves.
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Mercer Boy » Sat Dec 18, 2004 5:17 pm

Why shouldn't they be allowed to pick up players? They are still playing for whatever place they can get, and they are trying to continue to win every game and help their team. I see nothing wrong with that at all.

Those at the top should have thought about picking up those players first if they intended on using them...
The One, the Only, the Incomparable Mercer Boy.
My My YouTube.
Mercer Boy
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Ydub » Sat Dec 18, 2004 5:50 pm

COME ON GUYS LAY OFF THE TRANSACTIONS. LEAVE THE PLAYERS FOR THE PLAYOFF TEAMS. IF YOUR NOT IN THE PLAYOFFS WHY MAKE ANY MOVES THE SEASON IS DONE AT THIS POINT

That's absurd, especially if it's a keeper or dynasty league. If it's good for the goose...
Ydub
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby jdogg_ffc » Sat Dec 18, 2004 9:00 pm

As long as they have games to play they should be allowed to make moves.

In a Keeper or Dynasty league never lock out cause the team allways goes on.

In a re-draft league when a team is done I think its OK to lock them out.
First the Shock, then the Pistons can the Lions be next?

Well maybe next yr.

PS I didn't lose a paper bag challenge but somehow as a Lion's fan it just feels right.
jdogg_ffc
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby jdogg_ffc » Sat Dec 18, 2004 9:03 pm

In NFL.com your automaticaly locked when eliminated from the playoffs.
First the Shock, then the Pistons can the Lions be next?

Well maybe next yr.

PS I didn't lose a paper bag challenge but somehow as a Lion's fan it just feels right.
jdogg_ffc
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby gtabaplayr » Sat Dec 18, 2004 9:09 pm

In a redraft league as commisioner I locked the 2 teams that didn't make the playoffs. One guy is new, so i didn't know if he might try to drop all of his players or something of that nature. One year some guy dropped all of his players which were then picked up by other teams in the playoffs, so I felt it was necessary to lock the teams this year especially since there is a new guy in the league who may not be familiar with FF proper behavior. I did post a message about it and no one has complained so far.
gtabaplayr
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby joshyboy72 » Sat Dec 18, 2004 9:11 pm

On my 3 yahoo leagues that I commish I locked all the teams that didn't make the playoffs. But for all the teams who lost first round and are still fighting for the best possible place should not be locked.
joshyboy72
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 ChampionCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby The Miner Part 2 » Sat Dec 18, 2004 10:17 pm

people should be happy that they are in a league with such strong competitors.
The Miner Part 2
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Roster

Postby Daddymike59 » Sun Dec 19, 2004 1:48 am

Well WarricK How are ya?

Don't Lock em out' I use the ww multitudes more times than anyone in the 4 of my lgs. I missed the playoffs in 1 going 9-5 by points.I used 80 moves in 1 league (my Keeper)

Props to Leber for the nice artwork!
Daddymike59
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Return to Football Talk