Sporting News' Most Overrated Players - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Sporting News' Most Overrated Players

Moderator: Football Moderators

Sporting News' Most Overrated Players

Postby gtabaplayr » Sat Dec 18, 2004 8:29 pm

I was looking back through posts over the last week and I didn't see a thread on the most overrated players put out by sporting news i was quite surprised. Well heres the link http://msn.foxsports.com/story/3244196 im sure many of you have heard about this especially after Lovie Smith's tirade after hearing Urlacher was at the top of the list. Their are many obvious selections especially in the offensive skill positions but it is interesting to read their explanation as to why they feel the player is overrated. Joey Harrington was never rated high enough to be on the all overrated team IMO, people just felt that he could have a breatout year this year with all of the talent around him. I also didn't like how many of the guys on the list are at the back-end of their carreers i think it is obvious to everyone that Warren Sapp's star power is much greater than his actual play as he has worn down over the years.

Quarterback

Joey Harrington, Lions.

Running backs

Kevan Barlow, 49ers.

Mike Alstott, Bucs.

Wide receivers

Keyshawn Johnson, Cowboys.

Peerless Price, Falcons.

Tight end

Jeremy Shockey, Giants.

Offensive tackles

Chris Samuels, Redskins.

Luke Petitgout, Giants.

Guards

Ruben Brown, Bears.

Damien Woody, Lions.

Center

Kevin Mawae, Jets.

Defensive ends

Marcellus Wiley, Cowboys.

Grant Wistrom, Seahawks.

Defensive tackles

Chris Hovan, Vikings.

Warren Sapp, Raiders.

Linebackers

Brian Urlacher, Bears.

LaVar Arrington, Redskins.

Zach Thomas, Dolphins.

Cornerbacks

Charles Woodson,

Dre' Bly, Lions.

Safeties

Tebucky Jones, Saints.

John Lynch, Broncos.

Anyone have a not so obvious overrated player that they would like to mention and explain why?
gtabaplayr
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Football

Postby kanezfan11 » Sat Dec 18, 2004 8:31 pm

Yeah, I saw this somewhere. Someone may have posted it but I'm not sure.
kanezfan11
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 Survivor

Postby gtabaplayr » Sat Dec 18, 2004 8:46 pm

Well if it has been posted somewhere my bad but how about responding to the question regarding who you feel is the most overrated player in the NFL? Any position, lets not make this all obvious, Keyshawn, type picks though.
gtabaplayr
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby Atog » Sat Dec 18, 2004 10:22 pm

people overrating Joey?
where!?!
Atog
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye
(Past Year: 1)

Postby The Miner Part 2 » Sat Dec 18, 2004 10:24 pm

that list got a whooole lot of coverage here in chicago, because of the bogus vote of urlacher. look at the bears record with and without urlacher, that should end the discussion.

as for the most overrated NFL player, i think its easily Vick. but to throw a few other names out there ill say Kearse, shockey and pennington.
The Miner Part 2
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Ironhorse75 » Sun Dec 19, 2004 12:16 am

Fantasy wise, yes Vick is overrated. But he gets the wins.

Thats two games in the last few weeks his team has won because of his final 4th quarter drives.

I don't think that list tells us anything most of us didn't know already, or already consider a bust this year.
Ironhorse75
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby KingGhidra » Sun Dec 19, 2004 12:40 am

Half these guys suck and are universally known to suck. How the hell is Marcellus Wiley overrated? Who the hell talks about him?

Kevin Mawae overrated? Huh? That guy is a BEAST! Grant Wistrom can't be overrated because he looked so good in that NFL Network lineman dance off contest. You can't move like that and be overrated.

I can understand the Samuels and Arrington picks though. Then again, Samuels had Kearse hemmed up all night in the Eagles game. Then again, that's overrated OT vs overrated DE, so what's it matter?
KingGhidra
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Guttpuppy » Sun Dec 19, 2004 12:42 am

I'm not a big fan of his but Zack Thomas is a good LB and definitely isn't overrated.
Guttpuppy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby killiansjmd » Sun Dec 19, 2004 9:34 am

I can't believe Kevin Mawea is on that list. He's been the anchor of the Jets O-line and is one of the toughest SOB's in the game.

I would add Koren Robinson and Dante Stallworth to the WR list along with Price.
Thanks to Metroid for the sig!
killiansjmd
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Re: Sporting News' Most Overrated Players

Postby maddog60 » Sun Dec 19, 2004 11:31 am

I saw that article yesterday morning and couldn't believe such a ridiculous list. The writers clearly didn't have the guts to attack the players who truly deserved to be on the list, yet on the other hand they made flat out mistakes, or attacked guys who have been battling injuries, etc, for not putting up numbers.

Joey Harrington, Lions.

-Vick. Not only is he the most overrated QB hands down, but he's the most overrated player. No other QB has a 200 yard, 2 TD, 1 INT game and is considered "amazing" or "on fire." Analysts judge him by a different set of standards, and its sickening. But Harrington of all QBs... find me a Detroit fan who thinks he's good before calling him overrated. Even Hasselback or Pennington would've been a gutsy and better selection.

Mike Alstott, Bucs.

-A guy who has been battling injuries over the past couple years. Surely, Eddie George and Marshall Faulk (who many didnt' think had passed their prime) or Clinton Portis (sub 4 ypc), or even Ahman Green would've been better choices.

Keyshawn Johnson, Cowboys.

-Their reasons are ridiculous. Who actually thought he was anything other than a possession WR anymore?

Ruben Brown, Bears.
Damien Woody, Lions.

- I may be off on this, but from what little I saw of these teams, both these guys have been playing great football.

Kevin Mawae, Jets.

-This is worse than Harrington, because is also good.

Grant Wistrom, Seahawks.

-Hasn't justified his 14 million dollar bonus? Maybe because its hard to do that sitting on the bench, injured.

Brian Urlacher, Bears.
LaVar Arrington, Redskins.
Zach Thomas, Dolphins.

-Once again gutless by the author. Ray Lewis is supposed to be the most feared man on defense in the NFL. While playing good, he hasn't been playing nearly as well, not even the best defensive player on the Ravens anymore, but he'll surely get to the Pro Bowl on name recognition alone.

Charles Woodson,
Dre' Bly, Lions.

- You'd think Troy Vincent or Bobby Taylor would be on this list. Both signed major contracts, and haven't added much (while not injured). Also, consider the big deal made about the Eagles losing them, clearly, they were overrated.
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Next

Return to Football Talk