How Early is to early to pick a top tier TE? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

How Early is to early to pick a top tier TE?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Azrael » Thu Aug 14, 2003 12:21 am

I think it also depends on how large your league is and how many different starting positions you have. For instance, one of my money leagues starts QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, K, Def...not alot of guys. There are only 8 teams. With that limited amount of teams...just do the math, everyone could theoretically be starting a top 10 QB, 2 top 20 RB's, and 2 top 20 WR's. So in this case the "best" TE and/or def might make all the difference. I would not be opposed to taking a top TE late 4th round and a top defense in the 8th round...in fact, the guy who did that last year won the league.

Obviously if you have more starters and/or more teams, you should probably prepare a strategy as to what you want to make sure you have filled before taking a tight end and after those priorities are taken care of then take your tight end unless the great ones are all gone, where you go to plan B and fill up other more important positions until you think the TE's hold value for you again.
Azrael
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 7)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Yianni2112 » Thu Aug 14, 2003 12:34 am

I got Heap in the 6th as well. Which I though was a steal.
Be patient Bubba Franks,Randy McMichael ,Pollard and Crumpler should all post some pretty decend #'s this year. Get your roster filled first then worry about your TE. One of the four I mentioned should be around in the 6th or 7th.
Yianni2112
Head Coach
Head Coach

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby dgroundhog_ffc » Thu Aug 14, 2003 5:00 am

I'd take one as soon as the top 18 RB (give or take a couple), the top 15 WR or so are gone, and the top 4-5 QB's are gone.

It's kind of a judgement call. There are some WR I'd take before a top TE, and some I would pass on that many consider top 15ish, Coles would be one example.3rd round might be a little early in a 10 team draft. mid to late 4th would be the earliest I'd consider it, but if all the top quality guys at RB and WR are gone, I go for a top TE before a top 5-10 QB.
The meek ain't gonna inherit $#!%....'cuz I'll TAKE IT!
dgroundhog_ffc
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby bungle613 » Thu Aug 14, 2003 7:18 am

I find it funny that we all think (for the most part) that a TE before round 5 is stupid. Yet, take a look at the mock drafts. On this iste Shockey went at 41, Gonzo @46 Heap @57, Sharpe @51 and the worst one McMichael @48. Give me my number 2 receiver any day of the week. By round 4 I usually have only 1 WR and don't have a QB yet.

NFL mock Gonzo is 43, Shockey 47 and Heap 57.
bungle613
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Transmogrifier » Thu Aug 14, 2003 8:30 am

Gonzo and Shockey, respectively, went in the early third round in my draft. I was about to take Heap in the fifth when he was snagged.

With a run on TEs and QBs early (WHY???), my rounds 3-5 went Jamal Lewis (steal!), Charlie Garner (ditto), Koren Robinson. I took Warner in the sixth and didn't pickup McMichael to the seventh or eighth. I forgot...

My point: Unless they fall to me in the fourth, I'm not taking Shockey or Gonzo. I'd much rather Heap in the fifth... but I'll let someone else snap them up.
Transmogrifier
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Cupertino_11 » Thu Aug 14, 2003 9:18 am

Azrael wrote:I think it also depends on how large your league is and how many different starting positions you have. For instance, one of my money leagues starts QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, K, Def...not alot of guys. There are only 8 teams.

Words of wisdom. In a small league such as this TE becomes a larger factor. In this same format.....I took Shockey in the 4th.
Cupertino_11
Head Coach
Head Coach

Mock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Previous

Return to Football Talk