Help with picking Defensive players. - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Help with picking Defensive players.

Moderator: Football Moderators

Help with picking Defensive players.

Postby kswiss » Thu Aug 14, 2003 12:20 am

Ok, I have a question about defensive stratagey. I've played in leagues before that let us pick 4-5 defensive players instead of a team D. But now I am in a league that only lets us pick one. It's a lot harder to choose one D player. Who should I choose?

Scoring:
1pt - Solo Tackle
2pt - Sack
2pt - Int
1pt - Fumble Recovery
2pt - Saftey
6pt - TD

Should I pick Keith Brookings who should get 100+ tackles, or should I get Adam Archuleta or Sammy Knight who would get 80 tackes and a few picks and sacks, or should I get Jaimie Sharper who could get 90 tackles and a few sacks and fumbles?
kswiss
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

(Past Year: 2)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby nick_millionaire » Thu Aug 14, 2003 12:38 am

Archuleta had over 100 tackles last season so he can get 100. plus he get INTs. i don't know about sacks althought he could record a couple. very rare if he gets a safety.

i would go with Donnie Edwards, personally.

but if you can't drop and sign players from week to week then this is a more serious choice. if you can, then just do that.
Im Ready
nick_millionaire
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby dgroundhog_ffc » Thu Aug 14, 2003 1:17 am

Take a LB. Roy Williams would be the only DB I'd think about taking.

Brooking is an excellent pick. Urlacher is the best pick, but I don't like taking a D player that early (he's a legit 5th rounder - but I don't take him there). With Colvin gone, he'll be blitzing more. He should have his best year. Ray Lewis and Derrick Brooks are decent options, but I'd wait until the 7th or 8th round before thinking about them. After thejm, Brooking is as good as anyone, maybe better. I also like Edwards, Bulluck is a good one. Zach Thomas is a good pick if it is total tackles instead of solo tackles.

LB's are consistent points based on the tackles. With the scoring only giving 2 for a sack or INT, I'd be keying LB's all the way. If there is room, take a LB and maybe Roy Williams and wait it out. I'm not as experienced evaluating the DB's, but I've seen a couple sites refer to him as the Urlacher of the DB group. Adding Newman should allow him to cheat closer to the line and become even more of a playmaker. I think he is worth having, but I'd sure want a LB too. There are PLENTY of LB out there. Starting only one ensures a very deep pool. After Urlacher, I think I'd wait very late to take my D player, as the difference between the rest is going to be fairly small. Lewis is possibly a ??? still, Brooks value is more 'TD induced' - not worth gambling a high pick on.
The meek ain't gonna inherit $#!%....'cuz I'll TAKE IT!
dgroundhog_ffc
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby kswiss » Thu Aug 14, 2003 11:43 am

Actually the league has already drafted. Initially all that we were not counting Tackles, just sacks and int's. So I already have Simeon Rice and Jason Taylor, cause they'd get like 15-20 sacks. So now with tackles, All that are left are:

Adam Archuleta
Donnie Edwards
Zack Thomas
Al Wilson
London Fletcher
Jamie Sharper
Mike Moslawski
Sammy Knight
Mike Green
Mike Brown

Williams, Lewis, Urlacher, and now Brookings are all gone.
kswiss
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

(Past Year: 2)

Postby kimi » Thu Aug 14, 2003 1:44 pm

Of those listed: I prefer, in order, Edwards, Sharper, Fletcher, Thomas, and Archuleta. Maslowski and Wilson would be in the next tier down. There are probably an easy 20 LB I'd take over Knight, Green, and Brown.
kimi
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Thu Aug 14, 2003 2:16 pm

did you throw a hissy fit that the commish changed the rules after the draft? I would have been pretty miffed. Given the "new" scoring system Zach Thomas or London Fletcher are my picks from who you listed.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertSweet 16 Survivor

Return to Football Talk