Is there any Rookies worth drafting out there? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Is there any Rookies worth drafting out there?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Is there any Rookies worth drafting out there?

Postby Dan Fury » Thu Aug 14, 2003 12:33 am

If so... who?

thanx in advance
Dan Fury

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby Yianni2112 » Thu Aug 14, 2003 12:44 am

I would take a chance on O.Smith in Minnesota.
Yianni2112
Head Coach
Head Coach

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby moochman » Thu Aug 14, 2003 1:03 am

Of this rookie class, I look for Charles Rogers to be the man. Rogers is going to get the opportunity to shine with the Lions from day one. With his speed and hands he could put up numbers worthy of a mid-round pick.
Onterrio Smith could play for the Vikes, though probably not in the red zone or on 3rd downs. He could still pile up some yards and maybe the odd td run. A late round choice.
If Kelly Washington of Cincinnati is healthy, he has the size and speed to be a prime time player. May be a sleeper in the late rounds.
All in all, drafting rookies is a risky business as they haven't historically been reliable fantasy performers.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 82)

Postby Ek » Thu Aug 14, 2003 1:12 am

Charles Rogers, Andre Johnson, and Onterrio Smith are the only ones I would think about drafting, and none of them until the late rounds...also Bryant Johnson of the Cardinals could be a sleeper as he seems to have very little competition for touches in Arizona.
Ek
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby nick_millionaire » Thu Aug 14, 2003 1:15 am

I wouldn't take any rookie WR except Tyrone Calico. no other rookie WR has a veteran QB throwing to him. plus no other rookie WRs team has playoff/Super Bowl aspirations. also, he isn't looked upon to be the starter and have a great season, so he can relax and play comfortably. on top of all that he has the size and speed to do some damage.

for RBs i took Onterrio Smith because of the Viking situations. i wouldn't take Larry Johnson. Vermile isn't the type to start rookies when more experienced players are on the bench. i would bet Derrick Blaylock goes in in the unlikely event Holmes goes down. Elvis Joseph would probably be the backup for Fred Taylor, but for how long i don't know.
Im Ready
nick_millionaire
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby dgroundhog_ffc » Thu Aug 14, 2003 1:30 am

Charles Rogers probably has the best chance to be a valuable starter. I think the Texans are too horrid for Andre Johnson to compete.

Sleeper pick - I think Kevin Curtis has a chance with the Rams. Sounds like he is becoming the 3rd WR option there, and that isn't so bad for fantasy purposes. QB health and establishing a good rapport with him is key.

I don't think it's a good year for rookie RB's. It will probably take an injury for anyone to unseat Smith for the rookie RB title, but I'm not sold on him being a serviceable fantasy starter this year.
The meek ain't gonna inherit $#!%....'cuz I'll TAKE IT!
dgroundhog_ffc
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby Transmogrifier » Thu Aug 14, 2003 8:17 am

Rogers went in the 8th round in my recent 10 team draft. I thought it was silly. I like him, but not that early.
Transmogrifier
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby 9er Fan » Thu Aug 14, 2003 11:42 am

Onterrio for sure, Rogers, Andre Johnson, and Larry Johnson. I'd start considering Onterrio around the 6th round, the rest are all late rounders.
9er Fan
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby xbird » Thu Aug 14, 2003 3:30 pm

I grabbed all 3 of the hot rookie wrs, after Ward, Coles and
Stallworth. A Johnson(11), C Rodgers (13) and Calico (15).
I think(hope) all 3 will be valuable in the second half of the
season.
xbird
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Return to Football Talk