Big change for the BCS - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to College Football

Big change for the BCS

Moderator: Football Moderators

Big change for the BCS

Postby J2thez929 » Tue Dec 21, 2004 6:40 pm

Looks like new change is coming in the future as the AP will pull out of the BCS system starting next year.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=1951112

Maybe we can finally get playoff system in place soon!

;-D ;-D ;-D ;-D ;-D ;-D ;-D
J2thez929
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Free Bagel » Tue Dec 21, 2004 7:32 pm

Arg.

Damned fools hoping for this playoff system.
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby J2thez929 » Wed Dec 22, 2004 3:37 pm

Free Bagel wrote:Arg.

What? You dont a playoff system of some sort? So I guess you like the fact that Auburn go screwed over and the championship is crowned by computers and polls instead of on the field.
J2thez929
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Mustangs989 » Wed Dec 22, 2004 5:13 pm

J2thez929 wrote:
Free Bagel wrote:Arg.

What? You dont a playoff system of some sort? So I guess you like the fact that Auburn go screwed over and the championship is crowned by computers and polls instead of on the field.

I don't think he likes it, he just realizes that a playoff system is not going to happen anytime in the near future. I agree with him about that, no matter how much we complain, for the presidents of the universities it's all about the money.
Mustangs989
Head Coach
Head Coach

Sweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Free Bagel » Wed Dec 22, 2004 6:48 pm

Hell no I don't want a playoff system. No true college football fan does, only the casual ones.

Hardcore college football fans know that the most important aspect of college football is tradition. The bowls are tradition, I didn't even like the BCS in the first place, they should've just left well enough alone.

College football is unique in that it is the only major sport where every game really really matters. Even an 8 team playoff completely and utterly ruins this. Too many teams are too good for too long and would make the regular season nothing more than a formality. In the 90's, Florida, FSU, Tennessee, and Nebraska would've made the playoffs virtually every year, and the regular season would've been utterly meaningless. Now, teams like Oklahoma, USC, Texas would make it every year and again, the regular season means nada.

Games like OSU/Michigan, Florida/Florida State, Oklahoma/Texas all lose their national luster because it doesn't really make that big of a difference. The OU/Texas game decided who played in the national championship game this year, with a playoff the game would've meant absolutely NOTHING nationally.

One of the great things about college football is how every game matters like the superbowl. There's nothing better than knocking off one of your rivals and knowing that you just completely wrecked their season (like in 97 when 8-2 UF knocked off #1 undefeated FSU in the swamp to wreck their title hopes) and nothing worse than the feel of defeat when all you can do is drink to forget. How many Eagles fans really care about their loss earlier in the season, or any of the games the rest of the way for that matter? How many Texas and Cal fans still cry every night over their lone loss this year?
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Postby J2thez929 » Wed Dec 22, 2004 7:21 pm

Sorry, I know this discussion had already taken play in the other thread but I just wanted to shed my opinion on this subject.

I see your point but what about a short playoff system. Say for the top 6 teams in the nation. As for everyone else can still play in the bowl games like they do now. And each game of the playoff system could be the BCS bowl games as they are now. I know some tweaking will have to be done but it makes sense to me.

Then they could truly play it out to crown a TRUE champion and the regular season would still be very very important.

As for losing a game to wreck your season. I think thats crazy! You should be able to lose one game and still have a shot, that is if you make it in the top 10 or so, to play for the national championship.

I mean what if Lienart was hurt the first two games of the year and USC lost. But after he returned then they won outright. Would you say now that USC doesnt deserve the right to play for the championship b/c they lost a game or two even though they are argueably the best in the nation now?

Just something to think about so teams like Auburn actually get a chance to play for a championship.
J2thez929
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Free Bagel » Wed Dec 22, 2004 9:50 pm

J2thez929 wrote:Then they could truly play it out to crown a TRUE champion and the regular season would still be very very important.

The entire ideal of a "true" champion is a farse. If a team loses 2 games in the regular season then gets hot at the right time, or plays an injury riddled team, that doesn't make them the "true" champion.

J2thez929 wrote:As for losing a game to wreck your season. I think thats crazy! You should be able to lose one game and still have a shot, that is if you make it in the top 10 or so, to play for the national championship.

I mean what if Lienart was hurt the first two games of the year and USC lost. But after he returned then they won outright. Would you say now that USC doesnt deserve the right to play for the championship

You do still have a shot if you lose one game, you just need a little help. Honestly if you're arguing on the behalf of USC, which is where you seem to be leaning, I dunno why you'd complain about this. It's the real conferences like the SEC that actually play a handful of tough games that should have to worry about one loss. Honestly, if you gave a team like USC a "free" loss how could they NOT make the playoff and/or championship? I mean, they only play at most 1 tough game a year. Last year they played all of 1 ranked team (#14 Washington State).

Anyway, back to the issue at hand. The injury arguement holds no bearing here. You can't just call a mulligan because someone got hurt. By the opposite token as your example, what happens if USC goes 11-0 then wins it's first playoff game (which would have been the championship game under the current system) and then Leinart gets hurt in the 2nd game (which never would've happened in the current system)? Similar scenario to the one you proposed, only reversed. You can't take injuries and such into account when trying to determine a system, otherwise it would have to be a dynamic system that changed on a day-to-day basis depending on who got hurt.

As an insanely avid college football fan, if college football ever implements a playoff system, my love of the game will drop at least by half.
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Postby kevinoc81 » Thu Dec 23, 2004 9:10 am

J2thez929 wrote:I see your point but what about a short playoff system. Say for the top 6 teams in the nation. As for everyone else can still play in the bowl games like they do now. And each game of the playoff system could be the BCS bowl games as they are now. I know some tweaking will have to be done but it makes sense to me.

As for losing a game to wreck your season. I think thats crazy! You should be able to lose one game and still have a shot, that is if you make it in the top 10 or so, to play for the national championship.

Top 6 team playoff: So 10-1 Cal and Texas are in, but 10-1 Louisville is out? How come 11-0 mid major Utah gets to play for it, but 11-0 midmajor Boise State doesn't?

Top 10 team playoff: Why is 9-2 Georgia and 10-2 VA Tech good enough to play for the national championship, but 9-2 LSU, Michigan and Iowa aren't?

Get my point? I mean a 64 team bracket works great for Basketball and we all love March Madness, but teams that are left whining about not making the NCAA realistically have no shot at winning it all anyways.

In football though, you could never make everyone happy. It's too tight of a race to only have a 6 or 10 team playoff. The same questions that come up about 3 or 4 undefeated teams and who deserves the Orange Bowl would come up in a playoff with one or two loss teams and who makes the playoffs. I mean if you think it's wrong that Auburn (no one mentions Utah or Boise State) gets no chance to win the championship even though they are undefeated just like USC and Oklahoma, wouldn't you feel just as bad in a 10-team playoff system that LSU, Michigan and Iowa didn't get a shot even though they had just as many losses as Georgia and VA Tech.

It's just too tough to draw the line and you will never make everyone happy. I understand the whole you don't have a clear-cut champion arguement, but that happens a lot in other sports too. If a 5-seed gets hot in the tournament and goes on to win are they automatically the best team. Probably not. What about last year's Super Bowl. Were the Panthers really the best team in the NFC? Two years ago in the World Series. Are the Marlins better than the Yankees?

Bottom line is that the system is what it is and everyone plays by the same rules. There may be a time where it's Auburn vs. USC for the title and Oklahoma gets left out, but this year it's Auburn. That sucks, but it happens.
kevinoc81
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby J2thez929 » Thu Dec 23, 2004 2:53 pm

We'll you make some very good points for you arguement Bagel. I totally understand were you are coming from. I mean their are pro and cons to everyside and I respect you opinion even though we differ. I just hope, even if they don't create a playoff system, that the BCS can get fine turned and changed a little but I honestly don't see how they can realistically do that. But, overall, my vote goes towards a playoff system b/c every major sport included college basketball has one so it makes the most logical sense to me even if it goes against tradition. But nice agruement though. I'm glad I got to read more insite on your opinion against the playoff system
J2thez929
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby buffalobillsrul2002 » Sat Jan 01, 2005 11:45 pm

I agree with Bagel on this one. The BCS is really just a load of bs to claim a "national champion." Honestly, I think that one of the best things about college football was the bowl conference matchups. For instance, it was always fun to watch the Big 10 vs. Pac 10 rivalry in the Rose Bowl. It created a West Coast/East Coast rivalry, and a game of simply bragging rights.

Also, there are WAY too many bowl games. I mean,I can see sending each conference champion to a bowl game. They deserve it. But the #6 Big Ten team against like the #4 SEC team. I really don't care AT ALL.
buffalobillsrul2002
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Baseball

Return to College Football