Can you get a good QB late in the draft ? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Can you get a good QB late in the draft ?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Mudd » Thu Aug 14, 2003 10:43 pm

i got Favre in the 9th round and Hassleback in the 11th in our 10 team league. I feel pretty darn good about that.
Mudd
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Home Cafe: Football

Postby VHawk15 » Thu Aug 14, 2003 10:47 pm

Yeah, QB's like Bledsoe, Favre, Brooks, Pennington, Maddox, and Hasselbeck drop really far in the draft.

The more you can increase fear of drugs and crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all the people. -Noam Chomsky
VHawk15
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Blackjack ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby no1eglfn » Thu Aug 14, 2003 11:06 pm

try for Matt Hasselback he should be available very late in the draft <like round 13> he will be a top 7 QB for sure and could even make top 4
no1eglfn
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby footballin' storm » Fri Aug 15, 2003 10:33 am

It's hard to resist when the QB run starts going in the draft. Gonna try to resist this year and focus on RB's. Just did a ten team mock draft and noticed that it is good to pick the RB studs and semi-studs early. In the later rounds and after the draft there good were QB's and WR's to be had. Running backs seem to be the key this year. Anyone agree?
footballin' storm
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby Transmogrifier » Fri Aug 15, 2003 10:42 am

For some reason there was a run on QBs in my draft, too, but I waited. With only ten teams, I figured I could. While everyone was drafting QBs (so it seemed), I went LT-Marvin-Jamal Lewis-Garner-K-Rob, then drafted Warner in the sixth. I was very, very pleased.

And I got Hasselbeck in the 10th or so.

Wait as long as you can, and pay special attention to what everyone has drafted. If QBs are going, you know their unlikely to waste two early picks on them, so you can wait even longer.
Transmogrifier
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby yoda83 » Fri Aug 15, 2003 10:56 am

trans, that's a helluva squad you got there. good job.
yoda83
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby Guest » Fri Aug 15, 2003 11:40 am

I was able to resist the QB run and got Rickey W. and E. James with first two picks. Threw in Joe Horn and Driver before I bit and took H'beck, who was the only decent choice left. Got Joey Harrington in the 9th. I'm hoping he will come on a little this year. "Go Joey Ballgame" ...
The 14 team draft had two distinct effects ...
1. Lots of players got sucked up quick
2. Its a long time before your pick comes around again.

Friendliness: %

Postby Lushcrush » Fri Aug 15, 2003 11:42 am

Oops ... didn't log in. I was saying:
I was able to resist the QB run and got Rickey W. and E. James with first two picks. Threw in Joe Horn and Driver before I bit and took H'beck, who was the only decent choice left. Got Joey Harrington in the 9th. I'm hoping he will come on a little this year. "Go Joey Ballgame" ...
The 14 team draft had two distinct effects ...
1. Lots of players got sucked up quick
2. Its a long time before your pick comes around again.
I'm just a little Hawaiian and a homesick Island boy,
I want to go back to my fish and poi ...

[b]2005-2006 VXL Champion[/b]
Lushcrush
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Fri Aug 15, 2003 12:33 pm

You guys want to hear a story about stealing a QB?

Here at the Cafe, we have a league of some pretty experienced players called the Racing Sausage League. You can look it up under draft rooms. The owners are pretty recognizable here in the Cafe: Nero, CVHawk, Guttpuppy, Slingblade, Awwchrist, and Screaming Weazle just to throw some names out. A pretty competitive league by most accounts.

I drafted 10th out of 10 and played the role of garbage collector - basically taking what others passed up on. Wouldnt you know it, sitting there at the 5th-6th rd corner was Gannon. I ended up getting him in the 6th! The 2nd overall fantasy player from last yr was stolen in the 6th. Beat that.

Other than that amazing situation, I find that many times in Yahoo drafts, the pendulum is swinging the other way - meaning so many people are waiting on QBs this yr, some QBs that should be taken in the first 3 are slipping through till the 5th or later. I have seen Manning and Culpepper fall into the 5th many times. If that is the case in your draft, grab him and laugh all the way to the bank.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Transmogrifier » Fri Aug 15, 2003 2:02 pm

yoda83 wrote:trans, that's a helluva squad you got there. good job.

Thanks... I was amazed with some of the picks before me. In the fifth, I was hoping K-Rob would fall to me... and the guy right before me needed a WR. He took Tampa Bay. I was shocked. Even though TB is good, I would never take a defense that early. Never, not even if it's the All-Madden team or something.

;-)

Anyway, Maxwell... what QBs were taken before Gannon???? That is one hell of a steal! ;-D
Transmogrifier
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Home Cafe: Baseball

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk