Rnady Moss - Hurter or Helper? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Rnady Moss - Hurter or Helper?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Rnady Moss - Hurter or Helper?

Postby Murray » Thu Aug 14, 2003 5:07 pm

Is Randy Moss a good fantasy player? I know he's up there in the Top 3 of WRs, but is he actually worth it? I know I've heard a lot of Moss horror stories, and I want to know I've made the right choice by taking him.
Murray
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Lucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Purple_Pride » Thu Aug 14, 2003 5:39 pm

i really try not to be a homer. im always honest on here, ive bashed Vikings and recommend other players over Vikings all the time. im not like a packer fan. but when it comes to Randy Moss people make too big of a deal out of his "lack of production" the fact is that during his down season last year he still led the NFC in receptions and yards. I realize you only saw the endzone 7 times and therefore did not live up to expectations of those who made him a first round draft choice. But remember after 6 years in the NFL he still has better numbers than any other WR at the same point of their career. With the Randy-Ratio now defunct look for his numbers to improve. Im not going to predict 2000 yards but I do think it is quite reasonable to expect 1500 yards and 13+ TD. He is a very good choice in the second round.
"When the truth walks away who is gonna stay? Cause the truth about the world is that crime does pay?"

RICHARD
Purple_Pride
Head Coach
Head Coach

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby nick_millionaire » Thu Aug 14, 2003 5:40 pm

For all the horror stories, he still performs. even though it may not seem like it thoughout the season, you can see results. Harrison, Owens and Moss get similar numbers. some are higher than other for each player, but the skill and opportunity are about the same.

if you draft him you won't have to worry about replacing him unless of course he gets hurts.
Im Ready
nick_millionaire
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Justifiable_Sin » Thu Aug 14, 2003 5:43 pm

I must admit....I am always a bit relieved when someone takes Moss early in the draft ....because I absolutely loathe the distinction of being forced to make that choice. Even if one discounts his big mouth and childish attitude, he seems to reflect the feast or famine analogy of the Vikings offense more so than any other player. Consequently Ill shop elsewhere then later look to fill my WR ranks with more consistent players like H. Ward or A. Toomer.
Justifiable_Sin
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Location: on foot...approximately 40 miles south of the mental institution

Postby terpfan » Thu Aug 14, 2003 6:39 pm

i like him in the late second...
terpfan
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerSweet 16 ChampionPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby number2pencil » Thu Aug 14, 2003 7:10 pm

i like him in the early second....i always take potential over consistency, aka moss over harrison but thats just me loving the cocky trash talking players.
number2pencil

Friendliness: %

Postby fntsyrookie » Thu Aug 14, 2003 7:26 pm

Moss is by no means a bad pick anytime in Round 2. He'll get his #s on the field now that the Randio Ratio is on the scrap pile. That hurt everybody last year. Remember the Vikes were the #2 ranked offense in the league last year. Moss is one of the reasons why.
fntsyrookie
General Manager
General Manager

Innovative MemberPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby kcman11 » Thu Aug 14, 2003 8:37 pm

It would all depend where you drafted him. If you got him in the late 1st round, I'd be skeptical. Granted the Big Seven (Williams, LT2, Portis, McAllister, Holmes, Faulk and Alexander) would all be gone and picking up a WR with your first choice wouldn't be the worst thing that could happen, especially if that WR is of the Moss/Harrison/Owens mold, but I would still remain skeptical, nonetheless. Moss is a solid 2nd-rounder (which is why I never get him; my first two rounds are dedicated to RBs), and if you can somehow get him in the 3rd round (I saw him slip there in one of my leagues this year -- the owner before me got him, poor me) then I'd say you got a 'steal.' I think he'll put up better numbers than last year, especially in the TD department and the fact that he's now wanting to be the team leader and is leading by example (it's early, though, I know), should make you feel better about having Moss on your team. I personally feel that he will have a great year, even better than his rookie year, because he and Culpepper will have a higher level of understanding of each other and each others' respective games (Cris Carter being gone doesn't hurt, either; he and Randy were always chomping at the bit). My predictions for Moss: 110+ catches, 1,700+ yards and 14+ TDs. Let's just see how close I come. Heh.
Winning truely IS everything.
kcman11
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby joester » Thu Aug 14, 2003 8:56 pm

If you get Moss in the mid to late second roudn or actually he as been goin in the 3rd lately he is a huge steal. He has the potential for 120 1700 16..........of course im not predicting that but mosss is a he helper not a hurter (in most ways)
joester
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 Survivor

Postby dgroundhog_ffc » Thu Aug 14, 2003 11:08 pm

He should be the 3rd WR taken. Taking him over Harrison or Owens is a little much for me, I reluctantly took him at the end of the 2nd round. There was one top WR left, and about 6 fairly equivalent RB's. Taking Moss and grabbing th RB that falls back to you is a decent plan.

I'd rather take Moss and be 'forced' to take a guy like Eddie George than taking Corey Dillon and Moulds.

Not bad picks either way.
The meek ain't gonna inherit $#!%....'cuz I'll TAKE IT!
dgroundhog_ffc
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Next

Return to Football Talk