Fantasy Football for the Young - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Fantasy Football for the Young

Moderator: Football Moderators

Fantasy Football for the Young

Postby PackerAttack84 » Thu Dec 23, 2004 1:28 pm

When I first did fantasy football on Yahoo! back a little while ago, I thought that everybody was like 20 years older then me because I wasn't even a teenager. And then one draft somebody asked us how old we were and like all of us were teens. I was suprised at how all of us were only like 13 to 18. Personally, I think that fantasy sports are going to be huge when I am an adult (I am only 13).
PackerAttack84
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Vikes Rule 88 » Thu Dec 23, 2004 1:44 pm

im 14, and it does seem like everyone is much older than u

need a sig? PM me
Vikes Rule 88 Beginner
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby Chopper » Thu Dec 23, 2004 2:17 pm

Glad you brought this up. My 11 year old son was just saying yesterday that he wants to play next year. He understands the game of football pretty well since he's been playing Pee Wee three years and is a budding NFL fan.
But, I was having serious doubts about his ability to be competitive and/or find the 'right' league for fantasy games.
I told him the best thing would be to start now trying to find friends, teamates, etc. who might be interested and start preparing for next year. I know I am already thinking about next year, but its probably unrealistic to expect a young person to have the kind of focus (obsession?) that I might have.

Any experience in public leagues?

I'm afraid that if I thought I was up against players your age, that I may not treat them the same as others. Depending on their attitude and approach, I think I'd be tempted to be either too condescending or on a bad day, totally predatory.

I'd love to hear your thoughts and experiences about getting started, the competition, kinds of leagues you were in, etc.
“The Green Bay Packers never lost a football game. They just ran out of time.”
Vince Lombardi
Chopper
Head Coach
Head Coach

Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby portisfan24 » Thu Dec 23, 2004 2:38 pm

Chopper wrote:Glad you brought this up. My 11 year old son was just saying yesterday that he wants to play next year. He understands the game of football pretty well since he's been playing Pee Wee three years and is a budding NFL fan.
But, I was having serious doubts about his ability to be competitive and/or find the 'right' league for fantasy games.
I told him the best thing would be to start now trying to find friends, teamates, etc. who might be interested and start preparing for next year. I know I am already thinking about next year, but its probably unrealistic to expect a young person to have the kind of focus (obsession?) that I might have.

Any experience in public leagues?

I'm afraid that if I thought I was up against players your age, that I may not treat them the same as others. Depending on their attitude and approach, I think I'd be tempted to be either too condescending or on a bad day, totally predatory.

I'd love to hear your thoughts and experiences about getting started, the competition, kinds of leagues you were in, etc.

I dont really remember how I got started. My friend asked me to join, and even though I had no clue what the hell it was I joined. And it is now my new obbsession. I wonder what I did before fantasy football. Probably things like exercise and whatnot. yuck :-b

Im 17 by the way.
portisfan24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby CC » Thu Dec 23, 2004 2:50 pm

I find that a lot of people are my age (17) but there are a lot of older people playing as well. I'll be playing FF til they put me in the ground.
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby portisfan24 » Thu Dec 23, 2004 3:02 pm

Canadian_Cheesehead wrote:I find that a lot of people are my age (17) but there are a lot of older people playing as well. I'll be playing FF til they put me in the ground.

same here, Ill be telling all those young whippersnappers that in my day most of us waited until the next day to get scores.
portisfan24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby PackerAttack84 » Thu Dec 23, 2004 3:12 pm

Here is who I got started playing fantasy sports. When I was 7 I wanted to find a baseball arcade game on the internet. So on google I typed in ''Fantasy Baseball'', having no idea what fantasy sports were. So on smallworldsports.com I drafted my very first team and have played Fantasy Football, Baseball, Basketball and Golf since I was a little kid. My suggestion for him is to play on Yahoo Fantasy Sports, those games are free and I still play them. But now, I play a cash league with my dads friends, it has a $100 fee and all the money is payed back. And on Yahoo you can draft in a ''casual'' instead of in a ''competitive'' league. So, my suggestion is get him started on Yahoo! I don't think you are going to be able to find that many kids his age that know enough about football.
PackerAttack84
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby MeShawn » Thu Dec 23, 2004 3:29 pm

Yea, its really big around high school and stuff. The school leagues can get pretty competitive, perhaps too competitive !+)
Sig courtesy of madaslives911.
MeShawn
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby PackerAttack84 » Thu Dec 23, 2004 3:40 pm

MeShawn, do any of your friends from school belong to the Cafe?
PackerAttack84
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Canacuna » Thu Dec 23, 2004 3:40 pm

The 'Cuna started his fantasy-sports obsession when he was 15 (19 now). I got started because I was taking some really boring English class and started surfing the internet. I think I was on ESPN.com or something, looking up NBA-stuff. In the corner of the site, I saw "FANTASY" and clicked on it. The rest is history.

I started off in Yahoo! Public leagues. My first year, I didn't really have much of a clue as to what I was doing - just taking d00ds I knew in the draft. But as the season went on, and I got a grasp of what positions were doing what, I made some adjustments and proceeded to kick some ass. I had my first cellar dweller team this year (8/10 in the NNKL) - the first year that I REALLY researched stuff (at least I made the playoffs in my other league [MIKL] to even things out a bit)... so yeah, no more researching for The 'Cuna. ;-7
'CUNA-MANIA IS RUNNING WILD!
"You will be a king here, instead of a peasant at the Cafe."
Canacuna
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Next

Return to General Talk