Thoughts on Garcia's back? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Thoughts on Garcia's back?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Thoughts on Garcia's back?

Postby dgroundhog_ffc » Fri Aug 15, 2003 3:40 am

I've been hearing more and more on local radio the last 2-3 days that Jeff Garcia's bulging (herniated?) disc is giving him more problems than originally anticipated.

Nothing real specific yet, just some camp attendee's and sportscasters discussing his recent flare-ups and spasms that have cost him practice time. As it gets closer and closer to opening day, the issue becomes bigger.

So, how worried are Garcia owners...and how far should he be knocked down in drafts? I don't own him yet, but I still have 2 drafts to go, including my money league. If Garcia misses time, either at the beginning of the season or after getting hit and furthering the damage, The entire SF offense could be greatly affected - most importantly TO's production...but how much?

Does anyone else have any insight on this?
The meek ain't gonna inherit $#!%....'cuz I'll TAKE IT!
dgroundhog_ffc
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Home Cafe: Football

Postby patriots rule!!! » Fri Aug 15, 2003 7:46 am

Personally i think he is a huge risk to have on your team. same goes for priest holmes. Garcia is old (33 yrs old) and his body can't take a beating anymore. his back is yelling at him to rack it up and throw in the towel. I predict he will say he is better, play, get a massive hit, and then be out for the season and maybe career with a horrible back injury. slipped discs in ya back is not a thing to fool around with
patriots rule!!!
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby Transmogrifier » Fri Aug 15, 2003 8:08 am

No insight here, but I'm staying away from him.

Plus, I'm dropping TO on my boards. I'd rather have Marvin, Moss, and probably even Moulds; without Garcia throwing him the ball, his value does drop.
Transmogrifier
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Home Cafe: Baseball

Jeffrey

Postby NFLknowitall » Fri Aug 15, 2003 8:18 am

I also believe that his back is a MAJOR concern. I'm getting old myself at 36 and I can tell you that from everything I've put my body thru (football, karate & Marines) it hurts every morning to take just the first few steps. I know the medical science of today can fix his back with surgery, rest and rehab, but that is not good enough for the NFL. Even if he gets it feeling good again how long will it take to be reinjured? The first blind side hit is my guess and I don't think he can avoid being hit all year. Once those disk in your back start getting knock around and out of place they tend to slide around easier afterwards, not good. I also play in a $$ with $750.00 for the winner. So I take this stuff pretty seriously. I'm not willing to risk picking him up when there are a lot of QB's who could match his numbers.
NFLknowitall
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby Homeless » Fri Aug 15, 2003 8:38 am

Latest word is that an expert could find nothing wrong with his back and now everyone is mystified.

That said I dont want him on my team this yr if it can be avoided.
Homeless
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: I could be anywhere! and so could my SILK scarf! M&M's anyone ?

Postby fntsyrookie » Fri Aug 15, 2003 10:09 am

Just want to let eveyone know that if you have Garcia on your team already, you should (if you don't already have one) pick up a decent backup. I've got Maddox, and I'm not overly concerned. With Plaxico and Ward to throw to he should put up some decent #s.
fntsyrookie
General Manager
General Manager

Innovative MemberPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Azrael » Sat Aug 16, 2003 12:00 am

I agree with all of you about the back thing...not a good situation. I think this whole thing about him feeling great and doctors finding nothing wrong is PR bulls***. You say your fine, show me on the field before opening week Jeffy. I'm not looking to take him at all unless its real late and I'll take him as a backup.
Azrael
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 7)

Postby moochman » Sat Aug 16, 2003 11:16 pm

How can they not find anything wrong and yet he has had 3 epidural treatments so far? Back injuries are so hard to figure out and this injury is sounding worse everyday. The one thing you can figure out is how to reduce risk when you assemble your team. I am going to stay away from Garcia and downgrade the rest of the Niners’ fantasy players.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby Slingblade » Sat Aug 16, 2003 11:32 pm

fntsyrookie wrote:Just want to let eveyone know that if you have Garcia on your team already, you should (if you don't already have one) pick up a decent backup. I've got Maddox, and I'm not overly concerned. With Plaxico and Ward to throw to he should put up some decent #s.

great i have feidler
Slingblade
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby dgroundhog_ffc » Sun Aug 17, 2003 12:09 am

Slingblade wrote:great i have feidler

Sorry, but LMAO. That's just a funny answer.

Sounds like he is going to be back to practice Sunday, and hopefully a few series in the next pre-season game, I believe against my VIKES.

It's not panic time, but if you own him (or possibly his receivers) it's something to be very aware of. I'm just wondering if he can make it thru the season. If it was something rest would help, I'm sure they'd rest him.
The meek ain't gonna inherit $#!%....'cuz I'll TAKE IT!
dgroundhog_ffc
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Next

Return to Football Talk