Would Like to give a big FU to Volek. - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Game Commentary, Cheering & Venting

Would Like to give a big FU to Volek.

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby mothaudio » Mon Dec 27, 2004 1:57 am

"I know he has had the hot hand but if you looked at the matchup... "

My point exactly. Who had he put all those numbers on anyway? Certain not Denver. My opponent rode the "hot players", while I played the "better players". Guess who won the trophy.
mothaudio
Head Coach
Head Coach

(Past Year: 5)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Padre » Mon Dec 27, 2004 4:00 am

mad benjamin wrote:With all due respect and all fairness, what did anyone think Volek owed them going into a championship game? He was likely a ww pickup just a week or two ago. It isn't like he was drafted in the 1st three rounds. Those who decided to start him going into this week got what they paid for.

Agreed. I only picked up Volek because Bulger got hurt. And although I played him and still should win, I will admit that Mark Bulger's consistency is what got me to the championship game. If he was not hurt, I would not even have considered Volek period, since I was solid in other areas.
Padre
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby A Flannel Shirt » Mon Dec 27, 2004 6:50 am

Now that I've calmed down a bit.

The_Captain wrote:First, I'm sorry Volek's performance cost you guys your games.

However, those who started Volek need to remember his big games were against teams with crappy pass defenses (Oak, KC and Indy). I know he has had the hot hand but if you looked at the matchup and what was on the line, the conclusion would have been sitting him against a pissed off Denver defense with a lot on the line.

Every site I got my info from. INCLUDING the people here said to start Volek. With his past performance he looked like a solid 10-15 points, not -2. The fact remains he screwed us. All the experts, all the sites, and about 80% of the people here.

Billy has been solid bordering on spectacular in a half-dozen starts in place of Steve McNair, and he's had a particularly impressive run against AFC West foes, averaging 398 yards and three touchdowns per game in three previous meetings with clubs from that division. We'll pencil him in for 300 and three here, and if he's good Santa might leave another 100 and a touch in his stocking.

To say people that started Volek got what they paid for is the biggest insult I've ever read here. It's all nice and hunky dorey once it's allready over and you know Volek messed up. Hindsight is always 20/20.

We just got burned, it happens. No one forced us to play Volek. Was just a lot of recomendations. I am willing to bet next year when the same situation happens and the hot guy explodes, we will all be singing a different tune.

I've learned in my first year of FF that is nothing more than who is better at guessing. Well after this lesson learned I plan to be a better guesser next year. I only had two teams this year, and to get one of them to the championship in my first year means a lot to me. My other team missed the playoffs by a half a game, and lost the first round of consolation cause of the poor performance of the eagles offense.

The only part that is really bumming me out as I type this at 6am is it will be another year before ALL of us get to play again.

Unless you are playing salary cap games etc. My cap team exploded this week. I had Brees, L. Tomlinson, R. Droughns
L. Evans, J. Elam playing. heehee

Some of the Pick Volek Topics here:

http://www.fantasyfootballcafe.com/foru ... p?t=126335
http://www.fantasyfootballcafe.com/foru ... p?t=127035

My Topic
http://www.fantasyfootballcafe.com/foru ... p?t=126347
This is only my opinion, if you play the players I suggest and they do not perform well, please don't yell at me.
A Flannel Shirt
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby bgnh1 » Mon Dec 27, 2004 8:20 am

Well, on the one hand, I realize that everyone who had him probably wouldn't even be in the championship game if he didn't save their butts in week 15 and 16, and I doubt anyone drafted him, so it's really like finding money and complaining that it isn't enough;

On the other hand, with KC torching Denver for 45 points and two easy touchdowns against "Champ" Bailey the previously week, AND the fact that Denvers' pass D went into the game ranked 31st over the past 5 weeks' games, it would lend anyone who has been around this game a while to think Volek should be worth more than -2 freakin' points. Meaning that he didn't just play bad and not get you enough points; he totally stunk, and I don't think anyone here who said DON'T play him last week expected him to perform worse than Hasselbeck, who didn't play at all... I feel for the people who almost won with him as a QB, having a superior lineup, but getting less than nothing. Barring an injury, no player should COST you points. Regardless of how tough you thought his matchup was, he really did choke.

Sometimes you guess wrong, people. Getting to the playoffs is the hard part that requires skill; after that, it's mostly luck...

(P.S. He isn't McNairs' "backup" for long, and I would be happy to draft him as my #2 QB next year...)
Last edited by bgnh1 on Mon Dec 27, 2004 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
qb GREEN volek collins
rb CMART* PORTIS* ctaylor cbrown*
wr RMOSS* WAYNE BENNETT* boldin morton
te GATES* crumpler*
k LONGWELL wilkins*
d WASHINGTON baltimore*
(STARTERS/bench) 8-team leauge
*drafted
bgnh1
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby mistamista2000 » Mon Dec 27, 2004 8:32 am

I just added up the numbers from last week and actually T. Green, J. Delhomme, or B. Volek would have gotten me in. Beating the 1st seed I got caught up in the 45 points he got me. Never had that much from a QB all season so I played him again this week. Now if I would have played it safe by playing Delhomme, Green, or even Kerry Collins I would be going to the championship as of last night.

I still have hope though since I need 18 points to win and I have both Torry Holt and LJ Smith playing tonight...
mistamista2000
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby bgnh1 » Tue Dec 28, 2004 9:07 am

Ya lost, right?
qb GREEN volek collins
rb CMART* PORTIS* ctaylor cbrown*
wr RMOSS* WAYNE BENNETT* boldin morton
te GATES* crumpler*
k LONGWELL wilkins*
d WASHINGTON baltimore*
(STARTERS/bench) 8-team leauge
*drafted
bgnh1
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby SniperShot » Tue Dec 28, 2004 10:15 am

Volek was bound to fall some time. I was thinking wouldn't it be funny if he decided to have a sucky game right as 80% of the superbowl teams started him...
SniperShot
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 14)

Re: Would Like to give a big FU to Volek.

Postby bruuno2 » Tue Dec 28, 2004 10:34 am

[quote="A Flannel Shirt"]You are number 1.

The one in the middle.

Thanks for losing me the big game.[/quote]
Yea i'll second that :-[
Dan Marino......Greatest QB of all time!You sure did own Canton!
bruuno2
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Previous

Return to Game Commentary, Cheering & Venting