Thought Provoking Question of the Week - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Thought Provoking Question of the Week

Moderator: Football Moderators

Thought Provoking Question of the Week

Postby Warpigs » Mon Dec 27, 2004 4:34 pm

I'm one of those people that constantly have to question why things are the way they are. I hate stereotypes (if I hear one more person complain that I have our baby girl wearing an outfit that's not pink, I think I'll scream).

Anyway, I figured since the offseason is basically here, I'd start a weekly debate on society's weird little quirks. I'll save my "girls wear pink, boys wear blue" rant for some other time. My TPQ this week is this:

Tipping is a common practice when dining out. However, society says that we should tip a certain percentage of our overall bill. My wife and I just celebrated our anniversary by eating out at the Lone Star -- and our bill was around $50. However, while our waitress did a fine job, she didn't do any more work than a waitress at Perkins or Denny's would do during our visit. So, why should the waitress at the Lone Star get a considerably higher tip than one in Perkins or Denny's just because our food cost more at the Lone Star than it would at Perkins or Denny's? Shouldn't a waitress (or waiter for you politically-correct-people out there) be tipped based on his/her performance -- not just because he/she works at a ritzier place?
Warpigs
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerCafe Spotter
(Past Year: 3)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Thought Provoking Question of the Week

Postby Flockers » Mon Dec 27, 2004 5:11 pm

Warpigs wrote:I'm one of those people that constantly have to question why things are the way they are. I hate stereotypes (if I hear one more person complain that I have our baby girl wearing an outfit that's not pink, I think I'll scream).

Anyway, I figured since the offseason is basically here, I'd start a weekly debate on society's weird little quirks. I'll save my "girls wear pink, boys wear blue" rant for some other time. My TPQ this week is this:

Tipping is a common practice when dining out. However, society says that we should tip a certain percentage of our overall bill. My wife and I just celebrated our anniversary by eating out at the Lone Star -- and our bill was around $50. However, while our waitress did a fine job, she didn't do any more work than a waitress at Perkins or Denny's would do during our visit. So, why should the waitress at the Lone Star get a considerably higher tip than one in Perkins or Denny's just because our food cost more at the Lone Star than it would at Perkins or Denny's? Shouldn't a waitress (or waiter for you politically-correct-people out there) be tipped based on his/her performance -- not just because he/she works at a ritzier place?

Yes.
Flockers
General Manager
General Manager

Graphics Expert

Postby DUKE » Mon Dec 27, 2004 5:17 pm

You cheap bastard :-D

Just kidding....good question. I usually tip @ 20% regardless of where I'm at, assuming the service I get is worthy.
DUKE
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerInnovative Member

Postby South Park Cows » Mon Dec 27, 2004 5:22 pm

I never really got why people tip according to a percentage of the bill. It's the quality of the waitress/waiter that should contribute to the amount that you tip.
South Park Cows
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter

Postby SeaWolf » Mon Dec 27, 2004 5:35 pm

If the service is just OK, I'll tip about 15%. If it's crappy service I'll give less, and if outstanding service I'll give more.

I do believe that we should not be required to tip. I say raise the price a buck or two and call it even. I hate tipping, but because they get taxed on it I feel an obligation to do so no matter what. :-t
Sporting events are family events. If you can't watch your language for 3 hours then stay home.
SeaWolf
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicEagle EyeTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby kevinoc81 » Mon Dec 27, 2004 5:36 pm

South Park Cows wrote:I never really got why people tip according to a percentage of the bill. It's the quality of the waitress/waiter that should contribute to the amount that you tip.

I completely agree. It is also the amount of work they do though.

If I go to Hooters with the boys and we order 4 or 5 pitchers of Beer and food (about $100) I think she deserves a lot more of a tip than when I take one girl to Bogart's Steak house (never less than $100) since she only served two people food and one or two drinks each. Plus we are a lot rowdier and a bigger pain in the A$$ at Hooters than my girlfriend and I are at Bogarts.

Just to prove it's not just a Hooters thing (I go for the wings really ;-) ), I also think a man/woman at Denny's who serves Breakfast for eight (maybe $50) also deserves more than the lady at the expensive restaurant serving me and a girlfriend.

To be a little stereotypical, Waiters/Waitresses are usually all the same kind of people (students, moms) working for the same reasons (get through school, feed the baby) and there is no reason that being at a more expensive restaurant automatically entitles you to more tip money. I mean they both do the same thing right? Take your order, Bring your drinks/food, present the bill.
kevinoc81
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby J2thez929 » Mon Dec 27, 2004 6:00 pm

South Park Cows wrote:I never really got why people tip according to a percentage of the bill. It's the quality of the waitress/waiter that should contribute to the amount that you tip.

I agree. I tip on the quality of the server and not how much or how little the bill was. I mean I can tell you times where my bill was around 12 bucks and I would leave a 7 buck tip or something like that. I can also say sometimes the bill could be like 20 somthing and i'd give like 2 or 3 bucks if the server sucks!
J2thez929
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby CKY_ROX » Mon Dec 27, 2004 6:40 pm

I always tip based on service, like about 15% as a guidline. I remeber this one time that as a group fo r about 16 peopel went to a resturant and the bill war arround 150 but the guy was such a dick, he would ignore us and just be an overall jerk. We only tipped him like 10 but i dont even kow why i shoudlve tipped him at all, he was not friendly, he didnt repond to half the things that we said. I dont know, but i always feel obliged to tip al least a little

I DO NOT LOVE TOM!!!!!
CKY_ROX
General Manager
General Manager

Sweet 16 Survivor
(Past Year: 5)

Postby CC » Mon Dec 27, 2004 8:17 pm

The thing I hate is tipping the pizza delivery guy, he doesn't do ish, all he does is drive around in his car making the occasional stop and listen to music. I'm a real cheap-ass with the pizza delivery guy I make him count out my change.
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Vikes Rule 88 » Mon Dec 27, 2004 8:23 pm

thats not nice :-b

need a sig? PM me
Vikes Rule 88 Beginner
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Next

Return to General Talk