Thought Provoking Question of the Week - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe


Return to General Talk

Thought Provoking Question of the Week

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Vikes Rule 88 » Tue Dec 28, 2004 1:22 pm

I think tipping is an incentive for a waiter or waitress to do their best.
Image

need a sig? PM me
Vikes Rule 88 Beginner
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

User avatar

Posts: 982
Joined: 11 Jul 2003
Home Cafe: Football

Postby kevinoc81 » Tue Dec 28, 2004 1:36 pm

moochman wrote:This is one reason why they should be tipped more, expectations.


Maybe I was misunderstood a little. What I was trying to say is that I have the same expectations for all servers. I do not hold servers to the standards that Mookie was saying. I don't expect you to tell me what to eat or what to drink, and I could care less if you make my salad in the kitchen or at my table.

moochman wrote:Do you have a problem with the food or drinks at Hooters? No, wings and a pitcher are pretty hard to screw up. And even the guy wiping his nose on his sleave will be able to help you with the Hooters' menu. Their job is easier by the narrowed expectations.


In case you've never been there, wings at Hooters come in mild, medium, hot, TMI, or 911. This is almost as easy to screw up as rare, medium rare, medium, medium well, or well. Let's remember that the server simply takes your order, they don't make the food so it is just as easy to write down the wrong thing at Hooters as it is at a steak house.

And if you are going to say that any guy wiping his nose on his sleeve could understand the menu at Hooters then you could also say any snob wearing a Tuxedo can understand what Filet-Mignon or Prime Rib with a side of steamed vegetables is. I think to keep the original argument first and foremost (whether the tip you leave should be directly related to the amount of the bill) it is best to leave stereotypes out.

moochman wrote:The server at a high-end restaurant will help you with your selection and correct any problems that you might have with your dining experience. This would include returning any dish that you found undesirable.


Are you saying that if you order a burger from Hooters well done and the burger they bring you is almost raw they are going to say oh well, better luck next time. Every server is supposed to return any dish that you find undesirable. It is their job. Also, as I said earlier, the server is not the cook, so they should lose no tip money for bringing a under/over cooked meal. It's what they do about it that affects their tip.

moochman wrote:And if you follow the 15% rule, you are unknowingly being cheap, the rule was increased to 20% a long time ago.


Actually, what I was saying is that I leave 15% even if I had an absolutely horrible experience. I think this is more fair than others who stiff people because you never know what is going on in the server's life at that point. Everyone has a bad day.

By no means am I saying don't tip or anything like that. I am simply saying that their are other factors involved that should be included other than just the price of the check.

Attitude, speed, respect of the server should be thought about as well as size of the party, amount of work done, and respectfulness of your party. The percentage rules are supposed to be guidelines, not absolute law!
kevinoc81
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Mock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 2603
Joined: 5 Aug 2004
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Mookie4ever » Tue Dec 28, 2004 1:54 pm

Whatever you do, don't pull a Ricky Davis.

http://thetrack.bostonherald.com/moreTr ... leid=60179
Image

"I think that gay marriage should be something between a man and a woman" Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

User avatar
ModeratorFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeBaseball ModHockey ModBasketball ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Posts: 3067
(Past Year: 1)
Joined: 17 Dec 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Livin in a powderkeg and givin off sparks

Postby SeaWolf » Tue Dec 28, 2004 2:44 pm

I have three questions on this matter.

1) Don't the severs get taxed on tips, if so how much?

2)Even if they don't get any they are still taxed correct?

3) Doesn't the server have to split the tip with the other help?

IMO these questiond are important in determining how much and if I tip at all.
Image
Sporting events are family events. If you can't watch your language for 3 hours then stay home.
SeaWolf
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
CafeholicEagle EyeTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 4620
(Past Year: 1)
Joined: 17 Jul 2003
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Time to FEED THE BEAST!

Postby MeShawn » Tue Dec 28, 2004 2:59 pm

Well, not everything is going to be determined on how much work you do. Landscape workers work a lot harder than baseball players (or most professional athletes for that matter). Yet they get paid next to nothing, while A-Rod can make 25 million a year playing baseball for half a year, 3 hours a day. What I'm trying to say that life isn't always exactly fair, and there are always circumstances.

Say there is a doctor working in NYC, who makes a very good amount of money. A doctor with the same training, same experience, same work quality, who is working in a 3rd world country will not even be paid a fraction of what the guy in NYC gets.

I agree with your argument in theroy, but that's not the way life works. You could make this analogy in so many different things in life (how things aren't always paid according to amount of work/effort).
Image
Sig courtesy of madaslives911.
MeShawn
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Mock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 3793
Joined: 9 May 2004
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Flux » Tue Dec 28, 2004 3:16 pm

Ill add this little bit to the discussion.

If you work in a nice restaurant you are there for a reason. You have worked as a server in lesser quality restaurants/diners and/or have worked as a bus boy/girl in nicer restaurants. There are a LOT of nice restaurants here in Columbus (thats about all there is to do for the most part is go out to eat), and a lot of servers in those places had to work their way up to their position.

Thats not to say you wont get crappy service every once in awhile in a nice place, but gernerally speaking they are a lot more knowledgable, polite, and helpful than the average server.

Do they do more work? perhaps or perhaps not, but they had to do a lot of the crappier jobs to get there, and that makes me respect them a lot more and makes it a lot easier to give them a 20% tip on a higher bill
Image
Flux
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 6113
Joined: 7 Jul 2003
Home Cafe: Football

Postby CC » Tue Dec 28, 2004 3:18 pm

Mookie4ever wrote:Whatever you do, don't pull a Ricky Davis.

http://thetrack.bostonherald.com/moreTr ... leid=60179


LOL, Paul Pierce was more impressive with the ol' dine and dash.
Image
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 11079
Joined: 30 Dec 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: The Big House.

Postby Warpigs » Tue Dec 28, 2004 4:35 pm

Flux wrote:Ill add this little bit to the discussion.

If you work in a nice restaurant you are there for a reason. You have worked as a server in lesser quality restaurants/diners and/or have worked as a bus boy/girl in nicer restaurants. There are a LOT of nice restaurants here in Columbus (thats about all there is to do for the most part is go out to eat), and a lot of servers in those places had to work their way up to their position.

Thats not to say you wont get crappy service every once in awhile in a nice place, but gernerally speaking they are a lot more knowledgable, polite, and helpful than the average server.

Do they do more work? perhaps or perhaps not, but they had to do a lot of the crappier jobs to get there, and that makes me respect them a lot more and makes it a lot easier to give them a 20% tip on a higher bill


(Again, I'm only playing devil's advocate here)... It sounds to me that you've decided to just do the society thing (tipping 20 percent) and are looking for reasons to feel better about paying the higher-end server more than the Denny's server. My point in this is that many of us have fallen into society's norm of paying %20% of a bill without even second-guessing it. The points listed earlier about doctors in NYC vs. a third-world country are just extensions of the same thread of thinking (although the difference is that the people in a third world county simply don't have the money or insurance to pay for a high-caliber doctor. It may not be right, but it's also not a matter of choice. Rich people can eat at Denny's just as easily as a Five-Star restaurant, and even in that case, society says that Denny's server will get less money overall than the five-star server).

And if we should tip the pizza delivery guy, should we tip the UPS worker, the milkman and the cableguy? How about the car salesman? Each time we buy an item, should we consider sending a tip to the millworker who helped make the product possible? When exactly do we draw the line? Why?
Image
Warpigs
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Cafe RankerCafe Spotter
Posts: 3054
(Past Year: 3)
Joined: 20 Jun 2003
Home Cafe: Football

Postby kevinoc81 » Tue Dec 28, 2004 7:17 pm

Warpigs wrote:And if we should tip the pizza delivery guy, should we tip the UPS worker, the milkman and the cableguy? How about the car salesman? Each time we buy an item, should we consider sending a tip to the millworker who helped make the product possible? When exactly do we draw the line? Why?


Just a few points:

1.) The UPS guy, Milkman, Mailman, and Cable guy all have company vehicles. They put absolutely no wear and tear on their own vehicles to provide this service.

2.) All those jobs are full-time careers. Pizza delivery people get paid lower, part-time wages because it is expected that they will get tips. By not tipping them, you kind of take away a piece of their income.

3.) #2 is exactly where I would draw the line. If a person makes less money because they rely on tips or tips are counted as a piece of their income, then you should tip them. If they make a full-time wage or salary, then there is no reason to tip them.

4.) Some of it is generosity also. You may not have to tip the ten year old paper boy when he comes to collect your dues (if they still do this anywhere), but you do it just because you like to and you know it makes his day.
kevinoc81
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Mock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 2603
Joined: 5 Aug 2004
Home Cafe: Football

Postby deluxe_247 » Tue Dec 28, 2004 7:32 pm

this discussion reminds me so much of the beggining of the movie "reservoir dogs"
Image
deluxe_247
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerBig Sig ChampionMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 15165
Joined: 17 Sep 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Giggity Giggity

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Start & Sit Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Get Ready...
The 2014 NFL season kicks off in 15:57 hours
(and 36 days)
2014 NFL Schedule


  • Fantasy Football
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact