Thought Provoking Question of the Week - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Thought Provoking Question of the Week

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby CC » Tue Dec 28, 2004 7:57 pm

deluxe_247 wrote:this discussion reminds me so much of the beggining of the movie "reservoir dogs"

Thats what I was thinking as well. ;-D
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby SeaWolf » Tue Dec 28, 2004 7:59 pm

kevinoc81 wrote:4.) Some of it is generosity also. You may not have to tip the ten year old paper boy when he comes to collect your dues (if they still do this anywhere), but you do it just because you like to and you know it makes his day.

My paper "boy" is older than I am. I'm in my thirty's. :-o I never see him, except at 6am when he drives by at 20 mph and throws my paper in the driveway. I don't see a bill from him, nothing. I do not see a reason to tip him.
Sporting events are family events. If you can't watch your language for 3 hours then stay home.
SeaWolf
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicEagle EyeTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby DUKE » Tue Dec 28, 2004 8:19 pm

Canadian_Cheesehead wrote:
deluxe_247 wrote:this discussion reminds me so much of the beggining of the movie "reservoir dogs"

Me three :-D ;-D
DUKE
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerInnovative Member

Postby VHawk15 » Tue Dec 28, 2004 10:36 pm

My tip-o-meter ranges from 0% to probably around 30%. It doesn't matter to me where I'm eating, if the waiter/waitress is good, then they simply and logically get more of a tip. If they are mediocre, they may get about 8%, and if they're poor, then they get nothing.

One thing I try not to do at restaurants is tip based on the food quality or lack thereof. If the "chef" of the place is slow and holds me up, then I usually won't take it out on the waitress. But if the waitress forgets to turn my order in and it takes an extra 45 minutes (which has actually happened on occasion), then her error is definitely reflected in how much I leave on the table.

Of course, then amount of tip someone gets sometimes depends on how much change I have. ;-)

The more you can increase fear of drugs and crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all the people. -Noam Chomsky
VHawk15
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Blackjack ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby kevinoc81 » Wed Dec 29, 2004 8:32 am

SeaWolf wrote:
kevinoc81 wrote:4.) Some of it is generosity also. You may not have to tip the ten year old paper boy when he comes to collect your dues (if they still do this anywhere), but you do it just because you like to and you know it makes his day.

My paper "boy" is older than I am. I'm in my thirty's. :-o I never see him, except at 6am when he drives by at 20 mph and throws my paper in the driveway. I don't see a bill from him, nothing. I do not see a reason to tip him.

I understand this and I wouldn't expect you to tip him. In Chicago suburbs though, we have a paper called the Penny Saver. It is a free paper that you get once a week with all kinds of ads and classifieds in it. When I was around ten, the routes for this paper were all given to young kids. You would have to go "collecting" once a month. The fee was an optional .99 cents. I was thinking more along the lines of this. If a ten year old came to my door to collect for his paper route, I would have a hard time turning him away without a tip. Again, I don't know if any of these type routes still exist because even that one has been taken over by adults around here.
kevinoc81
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby deftdelivery » Wed Dec 29, 2004 10:28 am

DUKE wrote:
Canadian_Cheesehead wrote:

Me three :-D ;-D

Yeah, and imagine if Mr. Pink was a member of these boards....can you say thrashed? That would be pretty funny to see one guy completely disagree with tipping altogether here after everyone has voiced their opinion.

But I'm not that guy. I think you should certainly tip 20% no matter what, UNLESS you absolutely hate the waiter/waitress. Otherwise, happy tippin ;-D
[url=http://www.studio-seraph.com/forums]Image[/url]
YOUR movie resource - sign up at the forums

[color=green]PS I'll find my frog[/color]
deftdelivery
General Manager
General Manager

Postby moochman » Wed Dec 29, 2004 11:26 am

And remember with the pizza guy/girl: always tip them. You have to have respect for piping hot pizza brought right to your doorstep. It's been a staple of Sunday footballslutfest for a few years in my crowds. And the one thing known is that the delivery guys have short paychecks and long memories!

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby Canadian Seahawk » Wed Dec 29, 2004 11:44 am

Being a restaurant guy, I don't really want to get into this too much but its funny you bring this up,,,,up here in the big city of Toronto serving americans CAN be frowned upon (its a generalization) because you guys are known as CHEAP (not really just poor tippers).

Thats one end...heres the other.

me and some buddys getting call BIG SPENDERS cuz we tipped 15 to 20 % down south.
Canadian Seahawk
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberSweet 16 Survivor
Location: Toronto, Centre of the Universe.,,I'd love some M&Ms please homeless

Postby Canacuna » Wed Dec 29, 2004 10:18 pm

deftdelivery wrote:

Yeah, and imagine if Mr. Pink was a member of these boards....can you say thrashed? That would be pretty funny to see one guy completely disagree with tipping altogether here after everyone has voiced their opinion.

But I'm not that guy.

...I wish I could inject some controversy into this discussion, but even The 'Cuna wouldn't stoop that low. Man, I want to be that guy.

The 'Cuna, as 'That Guy' wrote:Why do these people deserve anything? They get their pay. Do your job and stop whining. :-t

But anyway, it really depends on the situation. When dining out (maybe this has been mentioned already), I use kind of a sliding scale. The waiter/waitress generally tends to start at 20%-tippage. The service from that point on will lead to an increase or decrease in percentage. The percentage can also increase or decrease based on the person. If it's a girl I know, or a hot girl, you get more of a tip (yeah, I'm a richard). If it's some d00d I don't like, or some sloppy d00d (or d00d-ette), a tip reduction is imminent. In the occurance of bad service, I still try and leave a decent tip (maybe a little on the cheap side, but I don't want to be a complete ass). There's only been one or two times when I actually left a restaurant without tipping due to horrendous circumstances.

I usually let delivery people keep the change. If I order a couple pizzas that run a little over $20.00, I usually hand out $25.00 to make things simple. Even at a place like Sonic, where you have people roller-skating up to the car or whatever - in this circumstance, I revert back to my bastard ways and give preference to girls I know + hot girls.

I even tip fast-food people sometimes. I used to visit Subway with some buddies from school for Turkey Tuesday once or twice a month... the girl there remembered my order and my name ("Yay! It's the Ever-so-Sexy 'Cuna!" she would say in excitement), thus instant tippage. Also, some other friends and me will go grab some fast-food some nights at one of the "Open Late" places - Jack In the Box, Taco Bell, whatever - and it's a big order. I'll have my burger (sometimes two!) and fries (or soft taco [sometimes two!] and tater-tots), but everyone else seems to require at least three or four of whatever (and then there's the guy who orders a few cheeseburgers with no mustard, lettuce, onions, pickles or tacos with only the meat... so yeah, whoever is in charge during the late shift gets a little something from The 'Cuna.

...and that about concludes food-tipping. I could go into detail about hotel, airport, other jobs (haircut-person for example) whatever... 'Cuna-etiquette, but that's going a little too deep into the subject right now, methinks.

Edited to make corrections on the "QUOTE" Feature. Stupid 'Cuna doesn't know what he's doing...

Edited for the fifth time to add: whoops, forgot about that "Preview" button. That would have come in handy...
Last edited by Canacuna on Wed Dec 29, 2004 10:44 pm, edited 5 times in total.
'CUNA-MANIA IS RUNNING WILD!
"You will be a king here, instead of a peasant at the Cafe."
Canacuna
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby Free Bagel » Wed Dec 29, 2004 10:36 pm

Canadian_Cheesehead wrote:The thing I hate is tipping the pizza delivery guy, he doesn't do ish, all he does is drive around in his car making the occasional stop and listen to music. I'm a real cheap-ass with the pizza delivery guy I make him count out my change.

Even worse is when the place you're ordering from charges extra for delivery, and then the pizza guy sneers at you when you give him a small tip.

It's a delivery charge OR a nice tip chumps, not BOTH.
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk