RAVENS OC - Matt Cavanaugh to be fired... - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Game Commentary, Cheering & Venting

RAVENS OC - Matt Cavanaugh to be fired...

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby SheLovesFootball » Thu Dec 30, 2004 12:28 pm

GoLeafs... while I agree with you regarding personnel... I have been observing pathetic play calling... poor game planning.. and a lack of improvement on the offensive side of the ball.. sure the Ravens have developed their defensive personnel (this year was a bit scary)... but, when you stop to consider last year..we had 3 Pro-Bowlers on offense including the OPOY.... Matt Cavanaugh didnt do ENOUGH to play to our strengths... c'mon when you have JO why elect to run right on 3rd and 8?? It is a vanilla offense and it caught up to the D this year... how many seasons can you rely solely on your D to win games for you.. now there is dissension and turmoil in the locker room.. this is the change the Ravens team needs...

ehh.. but, what do I know.. I am just a girl that loves football! :)
SheLovesFootball
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby treat24 » Thu Dec 30, 2004 12:41 pm

hey now, girls that love football rule... i haven't watched the playcalling... and that is where you know if you need a new OC... and if there's turmoil in the locker room... well that ain't good...
treat24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: I'm drinking 'til I forget the 1999 NFC Championship game.

Postby SheLovesFootball » Thu Dec 30, 2004 12:54 pm

treat24 wrote:hey now, girls that love football rule... i haven't watched the playcalling... and that is where you know if you need a new OC... and if there's turmoil in the locker room... well that ain't good...

how can you NOT love the greatest sport ever!? I have season tickets which are 12 rows up from the field on the 30 yard line .. I am getting prepared to go into a state of depression since SUN is last game.. :(

scary thing I just learned through the rumor-mill is Billick has been calling the plays past two games.. OY!! <smackin forehead> tiny steps.. tiny steps

The dissension is stemming from the string of losses as well as some personalities.. hard to tell right now.. the new facility is TOO big.. craziness...

Congrats on keeping Tice for another year... he cracked me up with his TB and Philly fan club comments... as far as Vikings... they win and they are in right!?
SheLovesFootball
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby goleafsgo96 » Thu Dec 30, 2004 1:08 pm

Well i certainly dont watch many ravens games, so i cant argue the playcalling, and if that is a huge problem then i guess he does need to go. Id still bet he'd look alot better if he had a passing game to work with, but maybe they do need a change.

and dont start playing the sex card on me i dont just question the femlaes around here! :-)
Chris Leak-QB-Florida Gators
goleafsgo96
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby SheLovesFootball » Thu Dec 30, 2004 1:13 pm

goleafsgo96 wrote:Well i certainly dont watch many ravens games, so i cant argue the playcalling, and if that is a huge problem then i guess he does need to go. Id still bet he'd look alot better if he had a passing game to work with, but maybe they do need a change.

and dont start playing the sex card on me i dont just question the females around here! :-)

so many SMART men! ;-D

I agree... we need to acquire a #1 WR through FA or draft.. Braylon Edwards looks pretty nice... I would be going after Mushin Muhammad!!
SheLovesFootball
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby moochman » Thu Dec 30, 2004 1:26 pm

I'm not sure how much the OC has to do with the current Raven O. I know that sounds ignorant, but I wonder how much they have been a victim of their own success and a control freak coach.
They won a SB without a QB, and last season thier running game was second to none. It would have been very easy for the coach to say hey lets devise a game plan that doesn't rely on the QB to make plays, but just not to make mistakes. Afterall it worked in the past. So your OC, wanting to keep his job more than pander to the excitement starved fans, creates a very simple power running based game plan. They prepare and practice with it all preseason, ignoring the development of their passing game.

Then your stud power RB runs into legal and injury problems and your stud O-lineman gets hurt. And presto! You have an ineffective offensive game plan and a scapegoat in your OC.
Just a theory from a hater of control freak coaches. Let the players play!!! Ahem, sorry, I get a little carried away sometimes.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby SheLovesFootball » Thu Dec 30, 2004 1:45 pm

First.. Mooch.. I find your location comical...keep pushing... it would seem the Ravens fans have had some impact in the s'posed firing of Cavanaugh...

Billick, the coach who I assume you are referring to, just addressed the media and claimed it is false.. Billick has in his contract the ability to hire and fire coaches... with that said.. he does have an issue with control.. but moreso, stubbornness!

The Matt Cavanaugh offense has been pathetic... this year was magnified due to JLew's problems... Heap and JO's injury.. they are 31st in the league... we have NEVER ranked higher than 14th... check out http://www.firemattcavanaugh.com .... yes, it has gone THAT FAR!!

Do I think he is a scapegoat.. possibly... but a new OC is necessary! The Ravens coaching staff will be changing in other places.. I would guess that David Shaw (WR coach) gets canned.. Mike Nolan (DC) is primed for a HC position.. Fassel will be gone.. another question is whether Phil Savage goes to Cleve.. Ozzie wasnt granted permission from what has been leaked

ahhhh.. it isnt even off season yet and this is paramount to freakin winning the last game of reg season!

:)
SheLovesFootball
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby moochman » Thu Dec 30, 2004 1:55 pm

I guess my thoughts are not so much that Cavanaugh doesn't deseerve to be fired, but to what end? I think of that Parcel's qoute about "If you expect me to cook, I should be able to go out and get the ingrediants" or something like that. In this case they are giving him new ingrediants, but what if it's the cook? He likes bland food, why change now? I'm not saying Billick won't adopt a revamped offensive philosophy. It just seems unlikely for him to change much.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby portisfan24 » Thu Dec 30, 2004 3:06 pm

Jim Fassel anyone?
portisfan24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby SheLovesFootball » Thu Dec 30, 2004 3:09 pm

portisfan24 wrote:Jim Fassel anyone?

chances of Fassel staying in B'More are slim to none.. and Slim left town yesterday!! Where else can he go? Cleve... SF? SEA?

Mooch.. yes.. Billick digs in his heels.. we are just gonna have to wait and see....
SheLovesFootball
Head Coach
Head Coach

PreviousNext

Return to Game Commentary, Cheering & Venting