Bargain Picks for 2005 FF Draft - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Bargain Picks for 2005 FF Draft

Moderator: Football Moderators

Bargain Picks for 2005 FF Draft

Postby gatorman1122 » Thu Dec 30, 2004 1:37 pm

Here are some of my "bargain picks" for 2005

QB: Jake Delhomme-hidden in the shadows of Manning, C-Pepp, and McNabb, Jake Delhomme is having a great year (27 tds, 15 ints) despite the fact that his best WR (smith) is on IR and his main RBs are injured...He's definitely a good QB pick in late rounds

RB: Thomas Jones-most people practically forgot how good this guy was in the beginning of the season. With Grossman back at qb and some improvements in the O-line, Thomas Jones' numbers will definitely improve

RB: Chris Brown-100 yds and 1-2 tds in ONE half! Are you kidding me? This guy is one of the best RBs if healthy. His main injury this year has been the turf toe, which can be corrected with rest during the offseason and more protective shoes. However, his other injuries-ankle, leg, back, etc.-may hurt him still. Still, he's worth a mid-round pick for those who chose to draft a stud QB/WR early.

I'll add more picks later on...feel free to add your own or to criticize my picks ;-D
gatorman1122
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Mercer Boy » Thu Dec 30, 2004 2:01 pm

I'll just comment on your pick of Delhomme (which I think is good). :-)

I think Delhomme could be a top backup next year or even a possible 11th - 12th QB. The only problem I see with him are the yardage totals. Delhomme's passing yards range from 175 to 300 yards. That could lose you some points in the long run. Plus, they aren't very consistent from week to week. If you think about it, he's almost like a poor man's Bulger or Trent Green (comparable TD/INT ratios). They are great QB's to have since they almost always throw for 275 yards, 2 TD's and normally one pick. I'm sure a lot of guys rode Trent to a title this year and more would have had Bulger not gone down.

If Muhammad gets more involved in the offense along with Smith next year, they could really go bananas. Next year that could be a really good team again if they don't have as many injuries. If you're really gutsy, you might take a chance on him in the 8th or 9th round and end up with a startable QB that can get you a decent amount of points. Your job will be to find those guys you draft ahead of him that will pick up the slack and more... ;-)
The One, the Only, the Incomparable Mercer Boy.
My My YouTube.
Mercer Boy
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby BrutallyHuge » Thu Dec 30, 2004 2:01 pm

If Chris Brown was healthy, he would've had 2500 yards.
BrutallyHuge
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Justifiable_Sin » Thu Dec 30, 2004 2:08 pm

The off season definitely will provide some drama for us fantasy owners who do their homework...

coaching changes, free agency, draft......and equating the injured of 2004 back into the mix of 2005

players like...Steve Smith, Marcel Shipp.....and Grossman should provide some plot twists to the off season soap opera.
***A clear conscience is only a clear sign of a horrible memory***
Justifiable_Sin
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Location: on foot...approximately 40 miles south of the mental institution

Postby The Lung » Thu Dec 30, 2004 2:23 pm

I probably wouldn't draft him, but:

Chiefs: Parker turning heads
The News
Rookie wide receiver Samie Parker has made the most of a knee injury to Johnnie Morton, starting in his place the last two weeks and catching six passes for 119 yards and a touchdown. "What I like about Samie as much as anything other than his talent is his poise," head coach Dick Vermeil told the Kansas City Star. "The game is not too big for him."
Our View
Morton has a $3 million base salary next season, one which the Chiefs may deem too pricey based on the development of Parker. We wouldn't recommend using him in week 17, but it can't hurt to put Samie's name on your radar screen for next season.
(~);}

(~);}
The Lung

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 72)

Postby portisfan24 » Thu Dec 30, 2004 2:43 pm

Travis Henry
portisfan24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby South Park Cows » Thu Dec 30, 2004 2:56 pm

QB: Matt Hasselbeck - A disappointing 2004 campaign could defiantly warrant a mid round pick. Losing Alexander could downgrade Seattle's offense overall but could also put the focus on the passing game once and for all. With the passing game in full swing, Matt could post solid numbers next year.

RB: Kevan Barlow - Without a passing game, Barlow is bound to fail as witnessed by his 2004 season. Hopefully things can change this offseason. If the 49ers could pick a QB and a WR in the draft or free agent market, Barlow could fulfill what was expected this season next year.

WR: Santana Moss - Moss's talent is amazing, but you couldn't see that looking at his stats. This year, the Jets put the focus on the running game with Curtis Martin the center of it. News flash, Curtis is getting old. With Chad Pennington at the helm, Moss should not have trouble finding the ball. If the Jets could realize what they have with Moss and Pennington and put the focus on the passing game which should equal fantasy success for Santana.
Last edited by South Park Cows on Thu Dec 30, 2004 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
South Park Cows
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter

Postby kevinoc81 » Thu Dec 30, 2004 2:57 pm

Guys who I think will go too early:

Donovan McNabb - No better than an early third rounder in my opinion

Willis McGahee - People are already considering him a top 3 back next year

Tiki/C-Mart - best they really ever were in there careers is solid #2 fantasy backs and people are thinking they are top 10 - 12.

Guys who I think will go too late:

Thomas Jones - people will forget what a season he was on track to have before QBs killed him.

Ahman Green - Guys like McGahee, Dillon, and Edge are going to be taken before him.

Vick/Hass/Pennington - People will look at this year as the norm instead of the exception.
kevinoc81
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Azrael » Thu Dec 30, 2004 3:50 pm

Chad Johnson will be a good bargain in the middle to late 3rd round next year. He finish about 9th in fantasy scoring among WRs but blew up at the end of the year once Palmer got cooking.

Andre Johnson will be a stone cold steal in the 5th or 6th round next year. After starting hot he cooled off after the bye week, in which he had only 2 TDs and had more than 60 yards only 3 times in the last 9 games.

Todd Heap and Jeremy Shockey will be great late 4th-early 5th rounders next year. With everyone scrambling to get Gonzo, Gates, Crumpler, and even Witten, these guys will be a bit forgotten with injuries and poor QBing in '04.

P.S. McGahee should be a top 3 pick. Had he played all year, he would probably have close to 20 TDs and 1,600-1,700 yards. If you haven't watched him play, there are very few RBs who have his speed, size, power, and explosiveness...maybe LT, after that, he's the next best talent in the league at RB.
Azrael
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 7)

Postby CC » Thu Dec 30, 2004 3:52 pm

Andre Johnson is not going to fall to the 5th or 6th, he went very early 4th in the Extremely Early Mock draft.
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Next

Return to Football Talk